1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2021 Prius Hybrid Battery 40% life remains

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Romeo Longoria, Sep 5, 2023.

1. Romeo Longoria

Romeo Longoria New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I’m a USA citizen and my wife just got her USA residency. We bought a 2021 Prius new in Mexico. I believe hybrid warranty here is 3 years. We have one year left on the warranty and we were thinking about keeping the car but not after the dealer told us they would need to change out the hybrid battery. I convinced all my family to buy toyotas and 3/4 of the cars we bought had minor issues. From my mother in laws toyota raize (MX) window gaskets causing wind noise. My moms venza rear passenger speaker not working. My ‘22 corolla hybrid has 5 more years warranty left since we were forced to add. Me and my wife have basically the same mileage about 40K km (25K miles) so it got me wondering what if the low miles per year hurt the battery. But I wonder if these cars being Supply Chain Issue cars and we all got our cars built together by the guys who normally wash the cars and everyone else got sent home on quarantine. New here. Lemme know what you guys think I should do. We already purchased a 2020 lexus nx usa vehicle. Our prius and corolla are MX cars and was hoping to import one to save the hassle of car dealers right now.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

is it possible the dealer is wrong?

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Welcome!

Where was that car assembled? MX or Japan?
    It hasn't been our experience that these battery packs go bad this early in their life. Perhaps the dealership wants to take your good pack and replace it with a substandard, rebuilt pack. Then turn around and sell your OEM pack. Maybe you have a problem with your battery pack cooling system. That can cause an early breakdown of the pack. Bottom line; someone needs to take a closer look at what's going on; rather than just replacing what the computer says is bad. Go get or pay for a second opinion at either another dealership or a well know mechanic that specializes in hybrid Toyota.

These cars are built on an international platform, so a Texas dealership should also be able to diagnose it.

Good Luck...

FuelMiser and Romeo Longoria like this.
  4. Romeo Longoria

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    good question. They’ve already ordered the battery and told us they’ll need 4 days to replace under warranty. Car seems fine and no warning lights or hybrid notifications.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, if it's free, that changes everything. maybe they can pull a fast one on toyota, idk

BiomedO1 likes this.
  6. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is why I stopped recommending cars. I sply do the prepurchase inspection and report findings. I don't ever say "this is a good car... Or.... it's gonna last...." Because when something breaks 7 years later I get blamed

7. Romeo Longoria

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I thought every prius was made in Japan

8. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That's probably what's happening; but if there is something wrong with your battery cooling system - you may have issues in the future. Make sure they test the battery cooling system operations.

I don't know why it would take them 4 days to replace an OEM battery pack. That is only a few hours of actual work. Here in the states, the entire battery pack / module is replaced. They don't open it up to replace an individual battery/batteries. I don't know how those dealerships operate down there; but I would question why 4 days for a few hours of work, on the car.

Maybe someone whats to drive it around for a few days; "Just to test it" - wink, wink, nod, nod......

Good Luck..

#8 BiomedO1, Sep 7, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
    Romeo Longoria likes this.
  9. Romeo Longoria

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I asked a USA Toyota dealer to give me a quote for a hybrid system check. Waiting for a call back. Would be nice if warranty would be good internationally.

bisco likes this.