1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 LE fwd mpg, what are you getting?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Fuel Economy & Prime EV Range' started by 2023p, Apr 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. 2023p

2023p Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE

About 4200 miles on it so far

FWD

Regular gas

Cold tire pressure 38f/37r
    Warmed up 42f/41r

60/40
    CITY/HWY

2. Amysway00

Amysway00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I'm getting around 56 mpg (sorry I cant speak to tire pressures and all that jazz)
    I drive 50% mountain (small town) country/city driving and 50% mountainous interstate.
    I try to stay in Eco mode as much as I can but, surprisingly, this little engine does have some 'get up and go" so it's hard not to "sport" it every once in awhile on the curvy mountain roads.

GcinFl, Dimitrij, TGrracie and 5 others like this.
  3. 2023p

2023p Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Lowered tire pressure to 38f/37r (correction to my first post that was at 41f/40/r + woops) cold and did a math mpg calculation of two different tanks. 61.5 and 61.3 mpg. Also driving spirited here and there, maybe 10% of time in bursts using Lambo mode.

chinarut, drash, Roqu3 and 3 others like this.
  4. 2023p

2023p Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Surprisingly the mpg gauge built in the car so far has exact number I get when I divide the miles on a tank with the gallons replacing it after running from a full tank and then refilling.

5. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    just got my 23 LE about a week ago. started off with about 29 mpg on short trip. took a trip from daytona to cape canaveral mileage hit 61mpg for a while. Now around town im at about 46-50 mostly short trips. I will add that compared to my '21 , this is another world. Handles great. Gets out of its own way and seems quieter. It truly is a joy. Dont laugh too loud but I love the gear shift. It reminds me of back in the day of "3 on the tree" where you would kind of lift and pull towards you. Just a pleasure. Consumer Reports got it all wrong!

Preebee, chinarut, samsprius1 and 9 others like this.
  6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How about getting in and out of the 2023? I’m only 5’3” and I’ve only had the chance to sit in 2023 but not test drive. Low entry felt so awkward. I raised the seats and the cabin area felt so closed in. Are you getting used to this?

I’m a 60 year old gardener/potter. I drive a Prius primarily for the 50 mpg. Cargo space is second reason. I can deal with smaller cargo space but I’m agonizing over the fact that I didn’t buy 2022. Yes, I’m posting this everywhere because I’m trying to get feedback from those who have experience with 2020-2022 and transitioned to 2023.

I know this is a challenging time to be buying a car but I can’t handle the stress of my absolutely adored aging 2009 starting to have issues and due for expensive maintenance. If I had a partner to bail me out or a friend who was a mechanic I might hold off longer but I don’t.

The things I love about the 2022 are the comfortable easy entry, expansive view, cargo space and 15” tires. To me if felt like a sports car compared to my 2009. : ) If I could go back in time a few months, I would have taken the 2022 that was being allocated to me but I can’t plus I’m not crazy about buying an older body style especially since I’m really hoping for a compact SUV with at least 50 mpg to appear in the next few years. Thanks for listening and any feedback appreciated.

#6 daisy555, May 12, 2023
    Last edited: May 12, 2023
    drash and 2023p like this.
  7. bison3

bison3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I've gotten 64.1 and 67.9 MPG on my first two tanks. The 64 tank was mostly highway driving. I'm still learning how to hypermile and I feel the Prius has a lot more potential once I figure out how to drive it right.

Preebee, samsprius1, drash and 5 others like this.
  8. Max Entropy

Max Entropy New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I got 65.3 and 63.3 on two fill ups. My best so far is trip home from work 87.1 mpg on an 18.2 mile trip. To work (at somewhat higher elevation) is about 60 mpg. Somewhat light foot, but not really full out hypermiling. I once got 99 mpg on an 8 mile trip in my old Honda Civic hybrid (circa year 2003ish?) so I hope to match or top that with the 2023 Prius. It is EV about 55 to 72% of the time. I think keeping that up is the key to high mileage. Backing off the accelerator just a bit and watching the EV light come on and then just adding little bits of pedal to keep it in EV is rewarding.

Preebee, drash, bison3 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Have any of you played with the "Eco Score" setting/game?

10. HoboDave

HoboDave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Whilst cruising from the surrounding mountains into Death Valley, California, I was amused to see it had pegged out at 99.9 mpg.
    Normally I average around 55. I just drive it like I have every other car I’ve ever owned. In normal mode.

GcinFl and chinarut like this.
  11. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Still only a few hundred miles on her, but I got almost 90 mpg's on a familiar track with the AC on the entire time. I've hit over 110 on that same route in my 2019 with no air and fully broken in. Still don't have a feel for the best way to drive her yet, and the Eco game/guide is giving me varying scores, but I see good potential.

12. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have the 2023 Prime - where are you seeing an average MPG reading - I only see the per-trip (as defined by start- to-turn-off) avg reading in the trip info, not the cumulative average between manual resets that I hade on my old Priuses and Rav4 Hybrid. Am I missing something obvious?

13. 2023p

2023p Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I'm not positive if it's the same on prime. But, on your stearing wheel press the top left hand corner button - has an arrow pointing left - if you haven't already.

The mpg will slide to the right and the settings/details will appear (if it hasn't already)

Then go to the leaf icon option, which is top option. Then press left or right arrow (which is onedt side of steering wheel)

If you haven't seen already, for each option on that detail screen to left of mph screen, you can toggle left and right and go into many many sub menus and tweaks with in each one.

Holding down the ok button in some cases brings up more option when on certain parts of menu

I hope that helps

GcinFl likes this.
  14. 2023p

2023p Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE

Attached Files:

15. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    You can also change the settings to make that screen be total average instead of trip average.

There's a lot of customization options available for the multifunction display if you dig into it.

2023p likes this.
  16. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Perfect! Thank you! Disappointing number, but who knows what happened since the original reset. I will now see how it goes! I am not charging it for a week to see how the MPG is - I have been driving almost 100% electric since I got the car.

2023p likes this.
  17. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Still trying to find a way to maximize my MPG strategy on the 2023. It's driving profile is so different! I find some trip results underwhelming, and then the next trip will surprise on the upside.

For example, I took a 35min pleasure cruise (w/ passenger) on a winding road yesterday, temps were 90ish, AC was running solid, and had several bouts of "spirited" acceleration (maybe 50% of max), and I come back to park the car and find the trip result measuring 75mpg's. I NEVER would have gotten a number so high on the Gen4 driving like that! And everybody knows how optimistic Gen4 MPG calculations are... Then other times when I'm really trying hard, I'll only get 70-80mpg's when I'm expecting something like 90's-100.

Maybe it still needs to break in more. Maybe it doesn't have the ability to post the gaudy numbers, but will on average, be able to exceed the prior gen on a tank by tank basis. Who knows. It does seem to reward slightly more aggressive driving with better MPG's. Don't take this as gospel, but those are my impressions at this point.

Tire pressures: 39/38 cold. (probably more like 40/39 on this day because it was HOT).

18. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be thrilled with those numbers. : }

Preebee likes this.
  19. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    No kidding. lol

I've hit 650 miles on the odo, and my numbers are starting to rise. It also helps that my second tank of gas is 0% ethanol. Still, I've only just hit 45mpg on this tank so far. I live in a very flat, very quiet community, so I don't get much benefit from regen braking or most hypermiling techniques. I figure I'll top out at around a 50-55mpg average for the warm months. (also remember I'm in a LTD AWD, so I'm probably fighting a 10mpg handicap)

GcinFl likes this.
  20. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    It's all just a game to me. A game where I try to maximize my score, while not pissing anybody off. :D

daisy555 likes this.