1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Prime Engine Break In Question

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ken789, Oct 2, 2023.

1. Ken789

Ken789 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Took possession of a beautiful supersonic red XSE on Friday. First drive to work this morning, 22.5 miles almost entirely highway at 65mph, still just 51% charge remaining. If my routine use of the vehicle never engages the gas engine is there a concern for engine break in? Should the car be operated in hybrid vehicle mode for the first several hundred miles to make sure the gas engine break in period happens? If I don;t do that, the first time I take a long drive and engage cruise control for long distances, will it be like engaging cruise control in a brand new engine for which it is recommended to avoid using it for the first several hundred miles?

2. CornerCarver

CornerCarver New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    If you have a Prime then I'd put it in "charge mode" which runs the engine all the time. The last thing you want to do is run it at a steady speed on the freeway so charge mode with around town driving is best.
    I have a Prime on order and this is what I plan to do with it.

tovli likes this.
  3. Ken789

Ken789 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    The strategy I've landed on is to drive normally for the first 600 miles using only HV mode, without charging it and using it in EV mode and not using cruise control at all.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I got my Prime about a month ago and will be starting a 5,000 mile trip in about a month. The manual is disappointing on break-in advice, looking pretty much like boilerplate ICE text. My theory is to make sure I go through 2 tanks of gas one way or 'tuther before starting that trip, figuring that should be about the equivalent of 1000 miles of ICE activity. I've been reading up on the two sides of the "1000 mile oil change" discussions and am going to get an oil change before starting the road trip too. Surprisingly, the local dealer said they will do the oil change as part of the free Toyota care program even at 1000 miles! I suspect that just means fewer free ones later in the two years, but that is fine.

My biggest concern with the "don't use cruise control" and constant speed highway driving advice is that that flies in the face of what a CVT does! Engine RPMs have nothing to do with driving speed--certainly here in Colorado, it has much more to do with grade. I'm still playing it safe though, but feel that it is a bit out of context.

will

Sedril and AndersOne like this.