1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Prius Hybrid LTD TOTAL BRAKE FAILURE IN 4 DAYS

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Allen Hickman, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Allen Hickman

Allen Hickman New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Finally got the new Prius on May 9th... on Saturday of same week while driving into the driveway, I touched the brakes and the most awful sound of loud grinding noise happened and NO BRAKES. Luckly I was going almost zero and on a slight uphill climb. Anytime I touched the brakes, same issue. If I stopped and let it cost backwards, NO BRAKES! It had also "threw" 5 Codes and the BRAKE light was on. 1) A malfunction in the Brake System 2) A malfunction in the intelligent Clearance Sonar 3) A malfunction in the Electric Control System 4) A malfunction in the Smart Stop.
    Next day (Sunday) the car was OK... Got it to the dealership on Monday. At first they said "It should be ok."
    I wouldn't accept "should" in my opinion it was very dangerous...what if I'm going down the interstate and it fails when I need to make a sudden stop? They (Tech, Shop mgr, service writer), finally took me serious.
    In questioning the tech, determined he did nothing but drive it. I was told he charged the battery, when I asked him if he did that, he said "no".
    They got a Company Tech (I was told was high up in Toyota company) to look into it. He did on Wednesday and determined a failure in a Brake module... Part not available in the U.S.
    Now May 31st, still waiting on part.

mountaineer likes this.
  2. JNemin

JNemin New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Its under warranty, let 'em fix it. My LTD has been going strong for the last 3 months at 2700 mi with no issues (as I expect from Toyota). However, like this post, I worry about it a bit because of all the new-to-me features such as TSS automatic braking, brake hold feature, automatic parking brake... brakes used to be a simple hydraulic system.
    A question I have is: when automatic braking occurs (TSS, brake hold), does the rear brake lights turn on? Or do the rear brake lights only turn on when you press the brake pedal (i.e. a switch in the brake pedal assy)?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! what a bummer! lesson learned i guess, don't buy the first year of a new generation. i hope they don't have a lot of failures, that could be deadly.
    i hope they get you back on the road soon, all the best!

4. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Unless the failure can be narrowed down to a circumstance that would have affected only Mr. HIckmans's car, there should been a safety recall of all reasonably similar cars (i.e. have a version of the failing part that is close to Mr. Hickman's) to inspect the car and replace the part if it fails inspection. The recall should also advise what to do and not do to minimize the possibility of the failure happening until the car can be processed.

Welshdog likes this.
  5. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Fwiw, that isn't anywhere, at all, correct.

And, yes, once again, I am going to be that ******, and say:
    I'm not going to waste my time to debate or discus something Super basic that has been known for many many decades.

Google:
    Infant mortality electronics
    Infant mortality mechanical
    Infant mortality product
    Infant mortality design

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, it usually takes a number of complaints to nhtsa, then discussion with the manufacturer, a lot of back and forth, then maybe, you’ll get a recall if they identify anything.
    People often die before you get to that point

tovli and CooCooCaChoo like this.
  7. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    As long as those DTCs were stored, Toyota techs can pull them and figure out which part failed and needs to be replaced. Hopefully an isolated failure but concerning nonetheless.

8. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

Does this car have a fail safe emergency brake?

2023p likes this.
  9. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Oh wow! Ages ago in Delaware, I believe, the annual safety inspection made me start driving and then pull the emergency brake to prove it would stop the vehicle. You could hold the button down while pulling the lever for a controlled emergency stop. When the brake moved to a step-on, step-off control, I used to practice in my head stepping hard on the emergency brake and immediately stepping on it again letting it off for hopefully controlled braking.

The electronic parking brake is the descending pitch "ee-you-p" sound in my 2023 Prime that I was wondering about. I pressed the parking brake button and heard a motor retracting the parking brake, and "PARK" disappeared from the multi-info display. When I briefly pulled up on the parking brake button, and ascending pitch "ee-you-p" sound was heard, with what sounds to be a motor engaging the parking brake, and "PARK" again lit on the display.

So what does Toyota say we should do in an emergency to stop the car?

EmergencyStop.jpg

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    was the op a troll, or just forgot to come back?

11. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    IDK, but the sprinkling of rando problems has got me pondering the age -old question: "should I buy the first year of a major new release?"

Louis19 likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but it's the same with gen 4, a bit of this and a bit of that. toyota isn't what it used to be

13. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Additionally, the owners manual states there is a redundant braking system requiring extra effort to stop if the regular braking fails:

●If the electronically controlled brake system does not operate, do not follow other vehicles closely and avoid hills or sharp turns that require braking.
    In this case, braking is still pos- sible, but the brake pedal should be depressed more firmly than usual. Also, the brak- ing distance will increase. Have your brakes fixed immediately.
    ●The brake system consists of 2 or more individual hydraulic sys- tems; if one of the systems fails, the other(s) will still operate. In this case, the brake pedal should be depressed more firmly than usual and the brak- ing distance will increase. Have your brakes fixed immediately

Welshdog and daisy555 like this.
  14. BlueMagnet

BlueMagnet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    This is worrisome. My Prime due to arrive early Sept from Japan. Brought first year of Prius Prime in 2017 and have
    had absolutely no issues.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you were fortunate, there were a lot of gen 4 issues. even post 2017. nothing major except the coolant leak, iirc.
    hopefully, this is a one off

16. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    A lot of complaints in the OPs post. Seems odd that OP came in and first post is complaints about the car and has not returned with any updates.