1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Prius Hybrid vs 2023 Accord Hybrid vs Prime Plug In

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Sue Case, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let the games begin. With EV's being so expensive and possibly (pre-mature) to judge long term reliability/dependability my Spock logic says to go with a Hybrid or a Plug-In Hybrid. Looking at 2023 models and trying to keep car cost in the lower to middle $30,000 range (destination charge excluded) I'm now down to the 2023 Prius Hybrid and upcoming Prime Plug-In versus the 2023 Honda Accord Hybrid.

Now both cars appear to be priced relatively in same price range give or take a little. Both you could call sedans but the Accord is bigger. The two Toyota's and Honda have hybrid battery/motors and have a noted Above Average Track record for performance and dependability. In the "looks" department its close but I think the new 2023 Prius wins the beauty contest. Certainly on the outside. Inside I think the Accord blows away the Prius due to quality material, higher roof level and quieter cabin.

Overall hybrid motor performance I'll leave to the experts here but the Accord hybrid has not really been reviewed yet and I know many have not personally driven the new Prius Hybrid. The Prime plug-in also has not come out. It appears 0 to 60 range might be similar between the Toyota and Honda, but too early to tell. Better mileage goes to the Toyota and especially the Prime Plug in. Both cars I believe lack a spare tire but tire size could be the same for base models and upper grade models.

There is certainly way more room in the back seat of the Accord and also in trunk area, so that might appeal more to families or if you have a big dog. I believe the Accord only comes with s sun roof where you have other options (all glass) with Toyota.

I could go on and on but I'm going to say I believe the Honda Accord Hybrid wins the battle hands down against the 2023 Prius Hybrid. You get far more car for your money with the Accord and don't feel as cramped inside cabin area. Also I'm assuming you have better rear view vision with the Accord.

But when I throw the Plug-In Prime into the equation I might (after test driving) just give Toyota the nod and run with it. We don't yet know all the exact features regarding the Prime Plug--In, but if I can drive close to 40 miles every day not using gasoline I might be able to go a month without filling up gas tank. That to me - is impressive. Also 6.6 second for 0 to 60. though at my age I'm not buying car anymore for pure speed.

So maybe when all is said and done its going to come down to performance between the Toyota Prime and the Accord Hybrid, cabin feel/comparison, steering and road handling and then the cost to fill up when needed. Happy New Year

#1 Sue Case, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    GuyLR likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

looks like a nice car, i'm not ready to trust honda hybrid tech yet. they keep changing it, and idk if there is a track record yet.
    shouldn't you be looking at the camry hybrid as well?

3. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    For me, a hatchback is a necessity so I can be a one-vehicle household and still be able to do 98%+ of my typical duties. If I need a pickup to haul very tall things or pull a trailer, I have friends or I can rent one. So I'd be willing to consider a Civic Hatchback Hybrid, but an Accord Hybrid is a non-starter for me.

But I have to agree with brisco that a Camry Hybrid to Accord Hybrid is a much better comparison. Similar prices, size, configuration, comfort, etc.

4. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Agree Honda does seem to keep changing their hybrid tech, but also Honda year in - year out keeps ranking "top" or close to top in car review.

Two, I just don't like the front design of the Camry. Just too much grill, like your looking at an ugly cat fish with its mouth open. Same with the Lexus. Just flat out ugly.

Lastly I.m really into quiet cars or more so "quiet cabin" and it appears the Camry ride/cabin noise might be noisier than the Honda Accord Hybrid. Appreciate it if anyone can get a cabin noise reading come 2023 for Accord Hybrid, Camry Hybrid and Prime Plug-in.

bisco likes this.
  5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A couple years ago my neighbor had a Clarity in the driveway, it was gone within a year. Could have been a relatives idk anthing else about it. Lots of regular Civics in this neighborhood. I think I'm the only lucky one with a honda hybrid for many miles around here. I saw another of the same 06 model I have in september driving around and was blown away that is was still running.
    Toyota has mentioned in press releases that they share a lot of technology with Honda and one or two other japanese car companies. I kinda lost interest in Honda after having owned 2 civics bla blah blahh.
    6 years ago in Indiana at a hybid fest they had an Accord Hybrid for a Local dealer on the grounds. I asked if I could pop the hood, they said sure, I checked the oil and much like my 2 civics after nearly every service the oil as close to a quart over.
    Sure they get great reviews they typically last longer than most American made and most other manufactures cars on the roads in the past. I don't know about you but I don't see many older cars of much of any make on the roads too often any longer.
    '

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    An 06 Civic Hybrid? Ours, still in the family, was finally sold to a (Mazda) dealership for $500 CDN, during a purchase. It had around 240k kms on odo, was barely drivable with a failing transmission, was on second hybrid battery (recent replacement on Hondas tab) that was having recalibration events as frequently as the first. We loved that car when we bought, but ugh, didn’t hold up that well.

7. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just saying there are not many (non-iCE) vehicles under $30,000 to $34,000 on market that look half way decent. Bolt, old -Volt, Leaf, etc., are just plain ugly or let's say "not my cup of tea". I really respect buyers who say I'm buying "green", willing to protect Mother Earth and push car looks into the background. On the other hand if I don't want a new car that looks like every other car or a chunky SUV that won't fit in my garage.

I'm not sure car manufacturers get it, but when you add destination fee and a few other bogus charges along with pending dealer mark up - all vehicle prices jump really high. What's high? In my opinion anything over $40,000, possibly over $36.000. Many here might think that number is too low but then American's love debt and paying high interest rates so maybe "crazy car market" dictates what prices should be. Like $20,000 down and $20,000 car loan for your new what ever.

Getting back to my first post I'll be watching what "talking heads" say about driving performance of the 2023 Prime Plug-in versus the 2023 Honda Accord Hybrid. Right now I actually think you can't go wrong buying either one if it meets general needs. The other question I have is which of the two Hybrids will hold its value better say over six to eight years and have a higher resale value/trade in value? That's hard to say because in five, six years EV's will probably be first choice of most buyers. Unless EV prices are still too high for general public.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This pretty much the same hybrid system in the Accord since Honda brought the Accord hybrid back. It's been in two Accord generations now, and was in the Accord PHEV(remember that). This is the same basic hybrid system in the CR-V, Insight3, and new Civic hybrid.

The confusion is in the fact Honda revealed three hybrid systems as the replacement to their old IMA at the same time. The first one out in a car was a parallel system in the Jazz. Never came to the US. Hyundai's system in the Ioniq/Elantra/Niro is similar to it. There is a power version that appeared in a couple Acuras here, that adds two motors to the rear for AWD. The Accord system is a power-split.

As for Accord vs Camry, the Accord is an EPA full size car. I can't say how much more space it has over the Camry, but the old Avalon was an EPA midsize.