1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2024 prime manual carseats recline jamming

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zeromus, Feb 16, 2024.

1. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Went to have my wife drive the new car and suddenly the seat back doesn't recline without a lot of force. Feels like the recline lever is broken in some way? It's not smooth like the passenger side.

Aside from making sure there's no like, string in the lever which I checked and nothing under the seat, I assume I should just take it to the dealer. Unless this is a common thing with an easy fix I'm totally missing?

The lever is tight and doesn't reseat itself properly at all, and pushing the seat back takes a lot of force, as does pushing it forward.

The slide forward/back, and up down work perfectly. It's just the recline. I never noticed when I got the car 3 weeks ago. It was already in a good position for me.

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I did one search and didn't find anything closely similar to your issue here at priuschat or a decent diagram of the 2024 front seats either.
    If it were my Prime, I'd take it to the dealer and hope for the best.

3. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Already made an appointment. I was hoping there was some sort of "just reset the lever easily with this trick" lol

vvillovv likes this.
  4. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I pushed it max back, and it reseated. But its very easy for the little gears/teeth or something with the lever to get misaligned again and not snap into place.

The dealer called and asked me to try that, and also to make sure the carseat's zipper pull wasn't just out of place and caught in the plastic of the lever which apparently happens sometimes. It just doesn't get tucked in all the way when put together.

But this wasn't my issue. They said they'd take a look Wednesday.

I've owned manual adjusts my whole life, so I know that there's a click spot where it clips in and is solid, but the passenger side operates properly and expected, and the driver side seems to bind up very easily.

Hopefully they can pull out the seat and take a look to see what's up. It's only a few weeks old car.

Hopefully they don't just tell me that manual seats can be gimmicky because this goes beyond that. When it Jams I need to use my full body weight to unjam it, and even then there's no guarantee it moves forward, only further back. It could be a safety issue if the position mechanism is misaligned or something.

#4 Zeromus, Feb 17, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Whatever the issue is, I think the service dept. should be able to figure it out and get it straightened out.
    It's a new car, and I hope you get the new car feeling after this seat issue if figured out.

Zeromus likes this.
  6. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Turns out it just had next to no lubricant. So the mechanism was catching because the seatback wasn't actually turning properly on the far side.

They reset the handle position and lubricated the mechanism and it works like a dream now.

They told me the driver side is a bit stiffer than the passenger side, but that it should at least continue to operate smoothly from here on out, or, until it needs a new splash of spray lube.

They said if it gets worse again very soon that they'd take another look. Apparently, while not normal for a car to need the seats lubricated when new, it's a common enough an issue that I shouldn't worry about it and that I shouldn't have to think about it again for another few years.

Just bad luck on my part.

vvillovv likes this.