1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2024 Tacoma Might be Hybrid or EV (or PHEV)

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by drash, Aug 13, 2022.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2024 Toyota Tacoma Might Be Available as a Hybrid. Finally, the Toyota Truck for Everyone? | Torque News

2024 Toyota Tacoma Hybrid May Have 38 MPG, and 40 Miles of EV Range | Torque News

Lots of rumors surrounding the 2024 Tacoma as it looks to become the next target for redesign. So if they do a complete EV build along with a PHEV it'll have to be done in Mexico where they build the Tacoma and then it'll get the full tax credit that now appears to be signed into law as soon as next week.

They are not sure what type of hybrid but probably not the Tundra/Sequoia hybrid since the Taco isn't quite that big. Might be the performance Toyota Crown hybrid or a Sienna type hybrid system. Currently the Taco with the 3.5L can tow 6,800 lbs, but to be able to match that or beat it they would need something like a Toyota Crown performance hybrid with a 6 or 8 speed tranny to do that. I'll assume the Sienna hybrid with the eCVT won't do.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think Toyota would do something radical, like make the new Tacoma FWD. That will leave the power-split hybrid systems out, which also don't have the ability for the current Tacoma's towing. The best is in the Rav4 Prime, and that is 2500 pounds.

Unless the next Tacoma shrinks in size, the Tundra drive train could fit. That is a twin turbo 3.5L V6 mated to a parallel hybrid. The hybrid system is a traditional transmission in which the torque convertor has been replaced by an electric motor. The current Tacoma can be equipped with a 3.5L V6. I think people are forgetting the Tundra/Sequoia engine bays are big enough to accommodate engine blocks in the 5L range.

The Ranger has a 10 speed transmission, so fitting the Tundra's into the Tacoma may not be a problem. The turbos and plumbing could be too much to fit under the hood, but then that is more power than the Tacoma would need. A smaller engine with turbo could be used instead of the V6. Which is basically what the Crown max hybrid is. Just needs to be in a RWD arrangement for the Tacoma.

The speculated MPG and EV range are around that of the Rav4 Prime. If true, that points to Toyota completely redoing the Tacoma as something like the Maverick based on the Rav4, or coming out with a new pick up model.

drash and Tideland Prius like this.
  3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More information on the 2024 Toyota Tacoma. It seems it'll get the Highlander gas power train - 2.4L turbo and the Crown's Hybrid Max 2.4L turbo with motors as the Tacoma slips onto the TNGA-F architecture. More than likely alongside 4Runner which it currently shares a platform.

2024 Toyota Tacoma To Have Turbo, Hybrid Four-Cylinder Power: Report

Seems an insider source told The Fast Lane Truck the powertrain information. Makes sense, as the 2.4L turbo makes 265 hp (198 kW) while current 3.5L Atkinson makes 278 hp (207 kW). Close enough to replace both the 2.7L and the 3.5L. Of course the current 3.5L Atkinson can tow 6,600 lbs (2,994 kg) so we'll see if they can bump up the 2.4L turbo from the 3,500 lbs (1,588 kg) the RX 500h can tow. This may have more to do with how they tune the 6-speed transmission than bumping up raw power, since torque from the 3.5L Atkinson is 265 lb-ft (359 Nm) but the 2.4L turbo makes 309 lb-ft (419 Nm). The Hybrid Max can put out 400 lb-ft (542 Nm) so maybe a bump over the 6,600 lbs towing to maybe 7,000 lbs (3,175 kg)? They added more towing to the 2023 Sequoia as well as the Tundra i-Force Max. The 4x4 Tundra i-Force Max gas mileage jumped to 20 mpg from the 5.7L 14 mpg. So it would seem possible for the Tacoma 4x4 gas mileage to jump to 24 mpg from its current 20 mpg. FYI I get 24 mpg lifetime in my 4x4 Tacoma with the 3.5L.

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The RX500h tow rating is low, because of the limits of the HSD transaxle. Without the aid of the rear motor for starts, it would likely have been zero like past FWD models. The parallel hybrid trucks out now have no such limitations.

drash likes this.
  5. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm willing to bet they'll reengineer the i-Force Max system to utilize the 2.4L turbo instead of the 3.5L twin turbo. Still not sure if they stick to the current 6-speed instead of the 10-speed. The article never said they are going full Hybrid Max just assumed it when the engine went to 2.4L turbo but that system is FWD. The current Tacoma is RWD and I would assume it'll be easy to swap the 2.4L turbo for the 3.5L and not change much for the gas only Tacoma. It isn't like they're gonna change that to a FWD system, particularly if they go to the TNGA-F platform which make all RWD centric systems. Pretty sure they'll stick to the RWD centric approach because the popularity of the Tacoma would plummet if it went FWD. Definitely agree with your #2 statement.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Switching an engine on a parallel system should has easy as changing the engine in a non-hybrid model. In a power-split, the engine plays a bigger role in the transmission function. I'd think such a change requires more development work to do. Maybe the M/G1 needs to be changed to match the new engine.

Being able to install the old two mode system as easily as switching the transmission was suppose to be a big advantage of the system.

7. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    New leaks show the 2024 Toyota Tacoma. Carscoops has an article:
    2024 Toyota Tacoma Revealed In Patent Photos, Looks Like A Smaller Tundra | Carscoops

Has Tundra type headlights and taillights, but the similarities end there. And the Electric Tacoma shown by Toyota in their Dec 2021 EV Presentation looks exactly like it. 2024Tacoma.png
    ElectricTacoma.png

Other power plants look to be the 2.4L but Kirk Kriefels YouTube video thinks they'll use the 10-speed found in the Tundra and Sequoia. So that might mean they'll swap the 3.5L Turbo with the 2.4L Turbo and keep it rear wheel drive. i-Force Mini???

8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the video from Kirk Kreifels:

Spyder7 website also has more information for the 2024 Tacoma:
    https://spyder7.com/article/2023/01/29/17283.html

Partial translation:
    "The front end of the image, which was patented in Brazil, resembles the new Tundra, with small slats under each headlight and rectangular fog lights integrated under the bumper. You can see the design. You can also see that it is a model equipped with ICE from the fact that it is equipped with a single bar at the top and a slim and wide mesh grille.

On the sides, boxy fender flares add air intakes, and character lines run down the bottom of the doors, slanting down to the front. At the rear end, it is joined by an edgy tailgate, bracketed LED tail light fixtures in a Tundra-like design, and a small sliding section of the rear bumper and rear window.

We don't have any pictures of the interior of the cabin, but judging by the exterior, it's possible it shares a layout with the Tundra.

A next-generation powertrain is rumored to be available with two engine options. One is a 2.4-liter in-line four-cylinder engine with a maximum output of 269 ps and a maximum torque of 420 Nm, and the other is a 2.4-liter in-line four-cylinder engine with a hybrid assist turbocharger, which is the first in the midsize truck segment. This powerplant is currently available on the Lexus RX 500h and, depending on the set-up, delivers 366 hp and 550 Nm of torque.

The next model is also rumored to share the "TNGA-F" platform with the Tundra, and is expected to debut within 2023. In the market, it will compete with the Chevrolet "Colorado" and the new Ford "Ranger"."

They still think it'll be some derivative of the RX 500h (or Crown Platinum (HybridMax)) since this is a Toyota) and I'm thinking not. Nothing in this that says it'll become FWD centric or have an e-Axle. I've no doubt the hybrid version will change nothing about partial 4WD like mine and the Tundra with i-Force Max. The only thing that might be possible may be a trim with the THS and an e-Axle for "light trucking" like Sienna or Highlander Hybrid for claiming fuel economy. Maybe LT trim but that's already taken so maybe the SR trim might take the place of the 2.7L 4 cylinder which incidentally has the same towing capacity as the Sienna and Highlander Hybrid, 3500 lbs (1,588 kg).

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    HybridMax is a parallel hybrid with a motor sandwiched between the engine and transmission. Whether the drive train is FWD or RWD has little impact on the implementation. Toyota introduced it in RWD on the Tundra. Redoing that with a smaller engine and motor should not be difficult.

10. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HybridMax whether Lexus or Toyota implementation will have separate e-Axles for AWD. The Tundra i-Force Max does part time 4WD with a transaxle to the front wheels as there is no e-Axle on the front wheels. But I agree, redoing the i-Force Max with a smaller engine, as in the 2.4L turbo, won't be difficult at all. Toyota would just have to retune the lower powered 2.4L power curve gear differentials to match the 10-speed. The Japanese magazines are trying to fit what they are familiar with, Crown and RX HybridMax implementations, to the Tacoma, and likewise the Tundra, which have part time 4WD.

Pretty sure you and I agree the 2.4L turbo is a direct replacement for the current NA 3.5L in the Tacoma. Higher trim levels would get the i-Force Max 2.4L version. Although there has been no direct mention of it, the NA 2.7L engine in other Tacoma trims more than likely will be dropped as well but it is Toyota's low price leader. The Japanese magazines might be getting other information on the replacement for the NA 2.7L and confusing it with what they think should replace it based on power requirements in the standard NA 3.5L Tacoma. As I said the 2.7L can easily be replaced with a standard THS 2.5L setup found in the Sienna or Highlander Hybrid and at a comparable cost.

Trollbait likes this.
  11. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More info on the 2024 Tacoma from David Chao on his AutomotivePress YouTube channel.

He has an interior shot and some spy shots. He explains why one leak is a Tacoma and the other leak that may be a Hilux but is really a Tacoma, because the Hilux has a different model timeline than the Tacoma (about 2 years delay). He's a touch confused about the Brazil patent being a Tacoma because they sell the Hilux there but darn, if the patent and the spy shots don't line up.

12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to CarScoops, the 2023 Prius Prime is not the only vehicle that will have an introduction on April 4th, the 2024 Tacoma will be revealed as well.

2024 Toyota Tacoma Teases April 4 Debut And Itself In Latest Instagram Post | Carscoops

Toyota is calling out its patent department for spoiling the surprise. From another Toyota Instagram account picture they have a current Tacoma with the license plate 040423 and a very bokehed front of the new Tacoma parked in front of the Brazilian Patent Office.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MAXimum i-FORCE! The Next Generation Toyota Tacoma is Coming Soon! - Toyota USA Newsroom

Probably another teaser. About the only thing I didn't think about is my Tacoma already has a 3.5L V-6 Atkinson engine. All Toyota has to do is put the i-Force Max system in there. Add the 48 hp (36 kW) motor, 288V battery and 10-speed and they wouldn't have to change a thing. This would give the Tacoma 326 hp (243 kW) and 449 lb-ft (608.8 Nm) of torque, more than enough to keep towing above 6,500 lbs (2,948 kg). But would Toyota cause a confusion among their customers by labeling it i-Force Max when the big brother has a 3.4L turbo V6 based i-Force Max? Or would they want to challenge the Chevy Colorado ZR2? Hmmm we'll see.

16. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    From the mouth of Toyota regarding their hybrid Tundra ..... . 19mpg? For a hybrid 4x4 Tundra ?
    Why wouldn't someone just wait until they finally come out with a plug-in version?

https://www.toyotaofcedarpark.com/manufacturer-information/toyota-tundra-hybrid-mpg/#:~:text=*EPA%2Destimated%2020%20city%2F,4%20Hybrid%3B%20EPA%2Destimated%2018

Yes it's better than the non-hybrid especially as viewed from a percentage of fuel efficiency increase - but still ....
    $76K msrp .... after taxes etc - out the door maybe $80k-ish? eeek!

#17 hill, Apr 14, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Power hybrid...still need to do real work...yada yada...

That is still poor though. I was thinking those were numbers the F150 hybrid were getting, but no, they are closer to the non-hybrid 3.5L numbers. The 4WD F150 hybrid manages a 23mpg.
    https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=46172&id=46176&id=45877&id=45878