1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

20k miles on Nokian i3 tires at 50+psi

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by F8L, Jun 11, 2009.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, since I did a similar thread with the Integrity tires at high psi I thought I'd do the same with the Nokian i3s.

I have approx. 20,000 miles on these tires. I am not sure what the exact mileage was on the odometer when I did the swap but this should be pretty close.

I regularly run 54/52psi. Sidewall max pressure is 47psi on these tires.

Here are my ultra scientific pictures using a high dollar space-age measuring device. As you can see there is more middle tread than outer tread. This again dispells the common belief that higher than max tire pressures will wear out the middle of the tire prematurely. Could it make wear on the outside edges more likely or is this an artifact of my driving style or alignment? :confused:

Pics are taken with the tire on the car and in order from the outside, middle, inside.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was running 47/45 before and recently dropped to 42/40 to enjoy less bumpy ride. :)

The last time I checked #7 was starting to disappear in the built-in tire wear measurement number.

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL I'm a glutton for punishment. I was thinking of going higher.

I am on wear measurement #5 - #6. I think, or was it 6-7? Grrr memory is the second thing to go I hear....

How many miles do you have on yours mate?

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think around 30k miles. I am closing in at 98k miles. I think I put it on around 60k+ miles on ODO. I have to check my maintenance schedule book. I wrote it in there.

Tire wear less at low speed. I know you drive at higher speed than me.

5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Forget that -- nice manicure!

(Where's Rae Vynn when I need her?)

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh damn! lol

7. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Funny story about the Nokian tire pressure is:
    1. Bought Nokians, requested and recieved 42 PSI.
    2. At tire rotation, again requested 42 and shop said no, that is way too high and you need to run 35 PSI. Didn't guibble.
    3. Kept recommending Nokian tires through first two winters and a full summer until one friend pointed out Nokian web site specifically recommends not running WR during summer.
    4. So I checked my Nokians, noted excessive wear, and headed to the shop to question the wear and get another rotation. Shop said excessive wear was due to under inflation (tires leaking more when used in snow Wth!) and performed another rotation.
    5. Checked my tires and found they had inflated them to 42 PSI, i.e. correct pressure depends on the day of the week.

My Nokians were shot at 35,000 miles. They gave me a prorated credit, and recommended the new -G2 versions as much better, but word to the wise is consider taking them off in the summer, and make sure tire shop agrees to keep track of each on and off accumulated mileage acurately. My experienc is that the Non-G2 version of WR does become excessively noisy as they near the end of life.

Oh, and by the way, my new Nokian WR-G2 prorated replacements are unmounted in the garage, waiting for winter before installation. Original summer Goodyear Integrities back on 2007 that were removed at around 16,000 miles, so they are probably at 20 K

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    When I got Nokian i3 the new tread depth was 8.1 mm outer and 8.6 inner.

For 2000 of those Lincoln pennies you can get a digital depth gauge (one of the better Asian import bargains I'd say) and move up to the next level of tire science. Beware though they are little battery eaters so you'll need a handfull of LR44s.

My i3 are 185/65R14 XL under 2001 Prius. Sidewall says 51 psi and that's about where the fronts have always been. I estimate they will go to 50 k miles and still be well above the wear bars. Those XL tires have a load rating of 1300 lb; arguably too much tire for the little Prius. At 20 psi they do pretty well in sand, though :)

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See, there you go thinking like an American. Spending 2000 times more money to do the same job my single penny does. :p

I should have checked them when new. Then I wouldn't sit here wondering why my center has more tread than the edges. :(