1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

21,951 Aquas sold in Japan in February

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by ftl, Mar 8, 2012.

1. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    TheTruthAboutCars dot com reports:

"Hybrids are especially important for Toyota, where they now amount to nearly half of Toyota’s sales in Japan, says The Nikkei [sub]. For the ninth month running, the Prius is the best-selling car in Japan. February sales of the Prius rose nearly 88 percent compared to February 2011. Its smaller brother, the Aqua compact hybrid (sold in the U.S. as Prius C,) is fourth on the list with 21,951 units sold. Toyota had originally planned for 12,000 Aqua/Prius C a month, and is unable to keep up with the demand. A customer who places an order now will get it around August this year."

But still no sign of the C on Long Island, New York.

Bill

3 people like this.
  2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks OP for starting the thread. I am looking forward to his report on Saturday after touring the Plant.

Hybrids Top Japan

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think Prius c will sell anywhere near 20k/mo here in US, I'd guess under 10k / mo for sure, maybe 8k? We don't drive as many sub-compacts as Japan, but it's great to see them doing so.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What's wild about the success is the reality that 35,875 regular Prius were also sold there in February.

That put Prius on the top-selling list twice, in 1st and 4th positions.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    what is interesting is that if they built them faster they would sell more. There isn't much incentive for that, the Japanese customers are patient and will wait. That way they have a buyer for every aqua coming off the line.

Toyota had forecast 220K for unitied states prius family of cars, with 15%-20% for the prius c. That puts it at 2700-3700/mo. I think that is a low estimate for percentage and would expect over 4K/mo. 10K is crazy, I don't think they have the factory capacity to do that. Remember Japanese sales are juiced right now by both cash for clunkers and hybrid incentives. Without those incentives we will not see the kind of market share for hybrids that they see over there.

6. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    In related news today:

Toyota is considering ramping up production of its Aqua [Prius C for export] compact hybrid in Japan to reduce a long backlog of orders.

Tetsuo Hattori, president of Toyota affiliate Kanto Auto Works, said, to achieve this, production of the Ractis compact - exported to Europe as the Verso-S and also sold in Japan and Europe as the Subaru Trezia - may be moved from from its Iwate plant in northern Japan to another plant in central Japan to free up capacity.

The move to the Higashi Fuji plant would start from mid-May. Kanto Auto built 30,000 Aqua hybrids in February at the Iwate plant and plans to make the same number this month.

just-auto dot com
    (sorry, not enough posts to include links yet)

Bill

7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Truth About Cars Japan
    Toyota’s Prius C Plant
    By Bertel Schmitt on March 11, 2012,
    One Year After The Disaster, A Visit To A Symbol Of The Recovery: Toyota

1 person likes this.
  8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The announcement of movement of other cars from Iwate just says this is permanent. 30K/month aqua production represents full production + overtime at Kanto autoworks.

It sure would be nice to add those 6K prius cs a month to the Mississippi plant, and allow the 30K to be for domestic japanese consumption. Japanese sales may drop after january 2013 when some incentives expire, but large aqua demand staying at least two shifts seems likely.

9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Although the USA market is not big on small subcompacts, but 6,000 Prius c/month for the rest of the world does not sound like much. IMO, If gas prices stay high, they will sell that many monthly in the US alone.

10. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think the sale of the priuc C will go up in US as the price of gas stay high this year.

usually gas in winter is lower than summer. lol I think it will go up a little in summer to about $4.6 in CA for 85 and over $5.xx for 91.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If they're selling all available c's in the USA they can go one of two ways: either they use the shortage to sell liftbacks or they increase the c production and reduce the Aqua. The Japanese are not only patient buyers, they generally have a more holistic view and I'm sure will accept the delays in order to increase exports.

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

way the system usually works is that marketing companies (TMS) decide how many units they need and then factories plan the production 6 months in advance.

I doubt TMS ordered more than 3k-4k per month, so dont expect those numbers to get a lot bigger anytime soon.

realistically, Prius c is not in the best selling size market in the USA, as B sized vehicle. traditionally B segment has been smaller portion of US market, so I dont expect Prius c to actually sell more than 5k-6k, with exception of high gas prices driving the demand and customers segment shifting. Keep in mind that Yaris and Fit sell 4k a month.

13. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    "rest of the world" for the c isn't much more than USA anyway — Canada and some Pacific countries but that's it.

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    While this is true, some of the japanese incentives expire in January 2013. These buyers may move to fit hybrids or other competitors cars. From the pricing, it looks like there is a much higher profit margin in japan with current exchange rates. If they don't increase production, I would bet they go with your option one, and sell fewer c's and steer buyers to liftbacks and other toyota cars.

These could be exported from US production if they chose to do it here. South and Latin America are also potential markets, if US production costs were low enough.

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

while US is biggest market for Toyota in the world, those other markets together actually sell more cars. If they say they will start selling in 60 countries in 2012, that pretty much means everywhere but Europe. So I dont think US will get more than 60-70% of that extra production.