1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius 120k mikes, having issues with HV battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by chavezone, Nov 2, 2018.

1. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2012 Prius with 120k miles, I got the dreaded check hybrid system error a few months back, ive had to drive it a few months like that, car still drive fine except the Hybrid system wasn't working, so the engine would run 24/7 with no HV battery charging/discharging.
    I used the torque app and can see the last 4 banks are reporting 0 volts, all the other ones range from 16- 16.5 volts.
    I took out the HV battery today and checked each individual cell and here is what i am getting

1- 8.13
    2- 8.13
    3-8.13
    4-8.13
    5-8.12
    6-8.13
    7-8.12
    8-8.11
    9-8.11
    10-8.11
    11-8.11
    12-8.11
    13-8.11
    14-8.13
    15-8.11
    16-8.11
    17-8.12
    18-8.12
    19-8.12
    20-8.12
    21-8.13
    22-8.13
    23-8.13
    24-8.13
    25-8.14
    26-8.14
    27-8.15
    28-8.15
    What can it be, cells look good, no?

Why would I be getting the replace hybrid battery error if the battery is still good

Attached Files:

amos likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You have to load test them

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just because you get te check hybrid system message, there are many causes;).

How’s the hv battery fan cleanliness?

Connections are all good and tight?

amos likes this.
  4. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's a good method that you can suggest?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have not done it, but you can search battery rebuild threads here. I think they use a lightbulb

amos and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fan looked really good, a little dust that I was able to blow out

amos and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you have a way to read the codes, like access to Techstream?

That’s te true way to figure out why the message is being displayed.

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Grab you multimeter and pull out one of your headlight bulbs then connect some wires to the bulb, the battery and multimeter... Then use a timer on your phone and write down the voltage drop after two minutes.

You'll find that Each module will behave slightly differently and the worst modules will drop to the lowest voltage or just start giving bad voltage readings. If that still doesn't identify it, next step is to get a smart charger for NiMH radio control car batteries and drain each module down to deeper and deeper levels of discharge with a recharge after each discharge. I use IMAX B6AC V2 chargers... The third and final discharge should go down to 0.6v and doing this with all 28 modules will give you loads of info on each module's health and none of them will be exactly the same.

This process of three successively deeper discharges via the headlight bulbs is also what breaks up all the poorer conducting large crystallization that causes metal batteries to lose capacity over time. The vehicle can still function normally, even with 50% loss of capacity. I recently did reconditioning like this on a 2012 pack with a bank of five chargers and 10 light bulbs and it made a HUGE difference!

And if you'd rather spend money on a less time consuming process, you can buy a charger/discharger system that will do all 28 modules at the same time. Learn more here: FAQ

amos likes this.
  9. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SO I spent the day load testing my HV battery, what do you guys think, #11 was the only cell that was low from the start but not sure that would be the one causing me the replace hybrid battery error..
    I only load tested down to 7.2v as to not drain them too much,

battery 1.JPG battery 2.JPG

amos and PriusCamper like this.
  10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well... Do you have a way to charge up the modules before load testing? Like a smart charger for NiMH RC batteries?

I mean if you don't have that and just want to be done swap out #11 and put it back in and hope for the best... This guy sells really good used modules: Toyota Prius Hybrid Battery Cell 8.2v Refurbished 04-09 FREE SHIPPING | eBay

But if you want to be more thorough it'd be good to charge up all the modules to a full charge and then load test each module for only 2 mins. In your current situation module #11 is not being given the same test as the others due to unequal voltage.

Or now that you have the hang of the routine you could discharge and recharge each module to lower and lower voltage which will restore battery capacity. And yes, I know that it's super time consuming, but you could always buy multiple chargers and bulbs to speed things up.

It all comes down to how many times you want to take battery pack in and out of the car . The more thorough you are when it's out of the car, the less likely you have to do the whole routine again.

amos and chavezone like this.
  11. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bought an IMAX charger to recharge the entire hv battery, what is a good target to start at before doing t he load test? 8.4v seems to be the norm I am seeing

amos likes this.
  12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    each individual module if it's super healthy is going to sit at about 8.2v charge 24 hours after you charged. And because NiMH self discharges alot in the first 24 hours, you'll find the Imax charger at 3.3 amps will go way above 8.2v. Usually I start out cautious and don't charge too high, so 8.4v is a good place to start, but because it's a smart charger and there's 6 cells in each module charging a bit higher at a low amperage rate will ensure all 6 cells in a module are fully charged/balanced. 8.6v is something I've done lots of times. Also have a bad battery pack from a 2004 that has charged modules all the way up to 9.0v, but I think that's because it was really cold out and the cells weren't balanced and it also had super low capacity. Will be interesting to see what happens to 'em when I start reconditioning them!

Most important is that the IMAX has a shutdown function when the battery hits full charge that seems to only work properly when it's hot out in summertime, and doesn't work at all when it's cold out.

amos and James Powers like this.
  13. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Realy appreciate your response, so here is what I did, i wired all the positive to positives and negatives to negatives and the balance charged it as a whole to 8 4v, after letting it sit a few minutes and removing all wiring that all were sitting at 7.99-8.00v, I did the 2mins load test and here is what I was able to find, let me know what you think

Cell#1-8.0v to 7.62v
    #2- 8.0v to 7.67v
    #3 - 7.99v to 7.68v
    #4 - 7.99v to 7.67v
    #5 - 7.99v to 7.67v
    #6 - 8.0v to 7.65v
    #7 - 7.99v to 7.59v
    #8 - 7.99v to 7.59v
    #9 - 8.0v to 7.61v
    #10 - 7.99v to 7.59v
    #11 - 7.99v to 7.55v
    #12 - 7.99v to 7.57v
    #13 - 7.99v to 7.52v
    #14 - 7.99v to 7.51v
    #15 - 7.99v to 7.48v
    #16 - 7.99v to 7.50v
    #17 - 7.99v to 7.52v
    #18 - 7.99v to 7.52v
    #19 - 7.99v to 7.52v
    #20 - 7.99v to 7.55v
    #21 - 7.99v to 7.53v
    #22 - 7.99v to 7.58v
    #23 - 7.99v to 7.59v
    #24 - 8.00v to 7.60v
    #25 - 7.99v to 7.60v
    #26 - 8.00v to 7.62v
    #27 - 7.99v to 7.63v
    #28 - 8.00v to 7.65v

Let me know your thoughts, I'm not seeing anything big sticking out, maybe 15 and 16
    Let me know what you think

Attached Files:

amos likes this.
  14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... Brilliant... Never thought of trying that...

How long did it take to charge up all of them with just one IMAX charger?

Going back to your first post you mentioned that 4 banks were saying 0.0 volts, which after looking at the battery isn't the case in terms of the health of the battery pack, but maybe it's the case with failed voltage sensors, which would definitely get the computers to throw a red triangle and shut off access to the battery to protect the vehicle.

Any sign of corrosion on the voltage sensing wires or bus bars? Any signs of physical damage? Wonder if something else is the problem like a bad hybrid battery ECU is causing this, or something in the voltage sensor circuit?

Perhaps best next step would be to charge the pack way higher so you're certain all 168 cells are well balanced and of equal charge and then voltage test after 24 hours or if you can wait longer that might help point out any weak modules that self-discharge faster than the others...

But at this point I'd say your modules are not the cause of this warning light and it'd be ok to put it all back together and start driving it again, maybe use some di-electric grease to inhibit corrosion and start out fresh soon as the red triangle comes back. Reading the error codes, especially the sub-codes would be the first step if warning light comes back. I don't think that was done when we first started on this one.

Another option if you want to be super thorough you could do three rounds of deeper and deeper discharge and recharge with the final round going down to 0.6v per module via your headlight bulbs, which is super time consuming, but it improves the health of the battery pack to like new condition for a while. The added advantage for you doing this is you might come up with a way to do this work faster than I've been able to. Very impressed with how you charged 'em all at once and that it worked and am eager to know how long it took to charge the pack that way.

amos likes this.
  15. chavezone

chavezone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I am currently charging it from my load test from earlier, it's been charging about 2 hours and sitting at 8.0v, I'm going to charge to 8.4 and then put it back in the car and drive it around tomorrow.
    Now back to my original post, I am not sure why the last 4 banks would not register in torque but last time I rechecked it check out ok and all banks were reporting like they should
    So I believe the issue is a bad cell or two, I'm hoping this balancing charge will be the fix, I'll let you know

amos likes this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How were the connections? Any loose?

If you are getting intermittent electrical reporting, I’d bet on a connectivity issue.

GG707 and PriusCamper like this.
  17. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have a bad cell or two you'll need to drive it around for a while to make it worse because it's not yet detectable with load testing... But living in Las Vegas will help because the cells fail once the pack is above 100'.

If I were you I'd go higher than 8.4 in hopes the smart charger senses delta and shut off at a full charge. Just make sure you turn it off before you go to bed because IMAX chargers have a bad habit of not sensing full charge/delta. Maybe even charge it more in morning just to be sure? What's awesome about using one IMAX for the whole pack in parallel is that max amp to each module will only be 0.17amps, which means you can't really screw it up by overcharging or charging too fast.

Lastly, as of last May Torque app is no longer supported, so I'd recommend using hybrid assistant app with it's companion app hybrid reporter, which will give you 10 pages of data on your car even after a short drive. Then you can share that file on here and we can all see what's going on with this mystery. Also the Dr. Prius app is useful for reading error sub codes generated from the hybrid battery ECU.

Key thing to look for from these free apps is real-time data and how the battery modules act under max amp charge and discharge. If you have a fast enough OBD2 reader it will pick up peaks way beyond the battery packs 120amp fuse. One time I saw it catch a 159amp peak load that didn't last more than a 1/10th of a second.

18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So.......I just have to ask.......post #9 shows that module 11 is basically at zero energy compared to the others.......and we're somehow saying there's nothing obvious jumping out at us?

If it were my battery, the only way it could be more obvious would be if it hit me in the face with a hammer.............maybe that just comes from having tested so many..I wouldn't spend my time trying to recover that module. It probably has a serious self discharge issue. Why risk setting yourself up just to have it crap out again a month or two later, most likely at a very inconvenient time..

Post 1 with the last four blocks showing 0 is interesting. Either torque isn't setup right, there's a sensor/harness issue, or an ecu issue.

amos and PriusCamper like this.
  19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go back and look at post #9, then look at post #1... The #11 module didn't discharge that low because of what happened in the car, but was given the impression that it was caused by early stages of learning how to do discharge testing.

I'd totally agree with you if #11 module got down to 7.37v on its own, but that's not what I thought was happening... And the fact that #11 didn't drop worse than all the others when all modules started at ~8.0v on follow up load test, I recommended more data gathering via re-conditioning, or putting it back in the car to wait for the bad cell to be more obvious.

amos likes this.
  20. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was looking at it as if....

November 2nd....got home from a drive....removed battery and checked voltages. Mod 11 was 8.11 v, similar to all the others.

Battery sits overnight while pondering options

November 3rd.. makes a lightbulb rig to do some testing. Checks voltages prior to load testing and now Mod 11 is 7.37 volts while all the others are 7.9+volts. That has "self-discharge problem" written all over it.

If the circumstances leading to the 7.37 are different, then I suppose it's possible that SD isn't an issue.

PriusCamper likes this.