1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

22 Year Old Buying First Prius (Used 2009) - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macmaster05, Sep 27, 2009.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today my mom and I went to the Toyota dealership to look at the new Prius. We were not too impressed, in fact, the new model is almost a step backward in that the base model (which is what I would want) doesn't come with an LCD screen, and it's missing some more display features too. So we went to the Toyota Certified Pre Owned lot next door to look at the older models. I found a used 2009 Prius that I'm 90% sure about buying. Here are some specs;

$24,000 - 2009 Touring Edition; Dark Gray with Gray cloth - Package 5 (Navigation, JBL audio, etc - everything but leather)
    Used - 10,000 miles - Loaner car; was only used at the dealership
    Originally purchased in Feb 2009

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONs/CONCERNs.

1. Is this a good deal? Any questions I should ask the dealership before I buy it?
    2. I am a male, 22 years old (almost 23). I am fresh out of college and just got a new job. I have to pay for this car myself. (My parents could easily buy it for me, but I won't learn responsibility). So, it will take me a couple of years to pay off assuming I keep my job.

Could you see a person like me driving this? I almost think this car looks like it'd belong to my parents. To other people, it might not look like I own it - like a car that a guy in his 20s would buy. What do you guys think?

Thank you so much for your help

2. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not knowing the market in SF, the price seems to be OK according to the Blue Book value which comes out to $25550 retail. Average mileage comes in at 12K for a 2009. I'm assuming $24K is not out the door, so they will add a doc fee and tax. Don't let the dealer do any add-on charges; IMO the doc fee is pure mark-up, but it's hard to avoid paying it. As far as I know, there haven't been any particular problems with the 2009 models, and it should have a lot of time remaining on the original factory warranty.
    As an almost 23 year old, you will be in the minority as a Pri owner, but it should be a good-performing car for the Bay Area.
    Maybe some others will chime in. Good Luck!

3. Tinbolas

Tinbolas New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You won't regret buying it. I'm 21 and at first i was hesitant about buying a prius, i felt it was more of a family car. But im really enjoying the car, i just got it but so far i like it alot... And actually i also checked out the gen 3 and i ended up buying one of the last new gen 2, i liked it much more...

4. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think that's a good price. In my area, $24k can only buy a 09' non-touring. Are you sure you want a Prius? To be honest it's a boring car besides all its gadgets. It's slow. It floats. It looks kinda weird. If i'm a 22 year old college graduate and have no children, i'd be looking for something fun like a Civic Si or Mazda3. Just my thought.

5. Dirk Lerxst

Dirk Lerxst New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: 22 Year-Old Buying first Prius (dont like the 2010 model - going for used 09) - What do you thin

I think you're too concerned with what other people think, frankly. If you like it, buy it. I don't know that I'd want a loaner car, as it's basically just a rental and we all know how people treat rentals. Regardless of Toyota's inspections, it's likely still seen a lot of rough action at the hands of people who probably don't know much about the car and don't care about it at all. That's a $24,000 gamble in my book, but I don't buy used, period, so what do I know?

But if you're looking for opinions, I think the pre-2010 Priuses are just unattractive cars while the new Prius is very nice looking. If you're that concerned about losing the LCD screen, save up a bit more and put it toward a model with the nav. I don't consider it that big of a deal, the only thing I'd want the screen for is the back-up camera, which I do find to be a ridiculous loss in a 2010 car when it came in the previous models. The more powerful engine of the 2010 AND increased mpg alone seals the deal for me. I didn't think the test drive I did showed the Prius to be a powerhouse (it was simply perfectly capable,) and I can't imagine it being less powerful than that.

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it's a good thing you're buying used. i purchased my 04 new.. before financing, it came to 29k... keep in mind the 04's don't have tire pressure monitors or back up cameras while your model does.. plus a re done suspension that's stiffer than mine.. etc...

i'm 25... i also have rims.. so.. everyone loves my rims and doesn't think twice about the car... not to mention, (or to mentions... shrug) some of my friends have "nicer cars".. like old 944 porsche.. my car is as fast and keeps up with it in handling.. so.. really.. what is a car for "your age".. besides a civic? people look up to the fact that i'm young and own such a nice car.

7. moss

moss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: 22 Year-Old Buying first Prius (dont like the 2010 model - going for used 09) - What do you thin

Definitely check the carfax to make sure it's not a rental. I found that many used Prius for sale were indeed rentals. If it's not a rental I wouldn't worry at all about how the last person treated it. It's only a year old or so.

Looking around at Prius drivers it seems that most are either females in the 40s + or males in the 50s +. That generation takes better care of cars than a car such as a Scion owner (think high school/college age). I'm 30 and I'm also considering a prius, but the age bracket does bother me.

Be sure to test drive a new Insight. I see younger people driving them & they're a fun spirited drive. For $24,000 you could easily get a new one, even one with navi & leather after negotiations & they're willing to deal. Plus reports of around 50 mpg.

8. Grateful11

Grateful11 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

I agree if you like it buy it. Personally I would never have bought the pre 2010 model. Just didn't like the styling at all.

9. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

In California, all the touring editions sold here were package 6's (with leather). It could be that this is an "out of state" purchased car. Are the rims correct for a touring edition (15" 6 spokes)? I'd just be concerned that you getting a non touring package 5.

The Prius gets great fuel mileage, reliable, and can seat 4 adults comfortably. You may only be in your early 20's, but I'm sure you end up going places with 3 buddies or on double dates - where seating 4 adults comfortably is a good thing.

According to Consumer Reports, the cost of ownership of the car is among the lowest out there. Excellent news for a recent college grad on a budget.

You can always dump some money into it to "customize" it to the tastes of a 23 year old. Window tinting, new rims, etc. Realize though that tires and rims can and will impact fuel mileage, so consider these long and hard before pulling the trigger.

There have been some issues with the HID headlights, where some folks have had them burn out fairly early in their lifetimes (30,000 miles). They cost a LOT of money to replace ($500 - $700). Many others haven't had that big a problem, but it is something to consider.

Ask the dealer how he got a package 5 touring edition when all the ones sold in CA are package 6's.

Now, comparing to a 2010......

You wanted a base 2010, but it didn't have all the buzzers, bells, and whistles that this one has. It is also a few thousand dollars cheaper. Best/Worst of all is that you are paying for it! The Best part is that YOU get to choose. Prioritize your choices, get what you want! The downside is that you have to pay for it......but such is life.....

Good luck!

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Codyroo, the rims are 16" (6 spoke), so I'm pretty sure it is a touring. You also mentioned finicky HID headlights - I've heard about this problem, and does it extend to 2009 models? I was hoping it'd be fixed.

To everyone, thank you so far! You're opinions that I should not buy a used Rental car are concerning, however, because I don't know if it was a rental or not. I'll go out on a limb and give you the carfax:

CARFAX Vehicle History Report on JTDKB20U493528119

Can you tell me anything about it? Thanks again.

11. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't comment on the price, but if it helps, I got my Gray 2008/Gen2 Touring #3 in the Chicagoland area for ~$24,000 (~26,000 out the door) around the same time frame in 2008.

It will be true that you will be in the minority. However, I'm a single male twenty-something and I rock the Prius as my daily driver (although I usually walk to work). I haven't regretted buying it at all - in fact, it has really reduced my stress level in parking-lot like Chicago traffic jams (the silence, as opposed to the low drone of an engine, makes a huge difference). Most people have buyers remorse at some point or another about every large purchase, so there's not much you can do about that.

I should add that a 22/23 year old buying a new/newish car is more the exception than the rule - I'd say that the kind of car a typical 22-year-old would most likely own is an older used one. This goes double if you really just want a car to get in and drive (not big on doing maintenance and tinkering with the car).

I would check the underside of the car, make sure the white plastic shielding covering the HV line is in good condition (I had an issue with one of the pieces coming off - the dealership said that they had seen the issue before, but it's not common). I would also check the weather stripping above the hood (it's probably fine) because some owners have reported issues stemming from water getting though there and into the ignition system (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...31-water-engine-cowl-seam-caulked-dealer.html) and (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...g/45550-ignition-coil-getting-burned-out.html). Just check, it'll probably be fine.

Read this:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...77-common-2g-problems-what-do-about-them.html

Alternatively, if you really enjoy performance vehicles, a Civic Si, a Mazda(speed :mod:) 3, or maybe a Lancer Ralliart are good options that won't need much maintenance at all. Going used, you can get decent versions of the Lancer Evoution VIII and IX (4G63's (s)old ride), Subaru WRX STi, and Honda S2000. If you're really brave and good with a wrench, you could probably find a 240 or MR2 to work on ;).

Good luck, have fun.

12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI: I wouldn't have 100% faith in Carfax - there are a LOT of stories of important things not showing up.

CARFAX: Friend or foe when buying a used car? - by Mona Gallagher - Helium

Carfax Reports Can Be Unreliable :: Alabama Consumer Law Blog

carfax is unreliable - Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing

CARFAX: Not Always All the Facts

I've been busy doing me research on this because I'm in the process of buying a used car too.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, then if not CarFax, can I trust Toyota's 155 point Inspection/Guarantee completed at the dealership? The salesman said that the car was ordered for the dealership and used there. What does that mean?

EDIT ----------

Ok, I just called the dealer again and asked. Here's what he said. The car was a track car that was put in service for their customers (so only driven by Prius owners) when they needed to use it. He said it was NOT a rental car. According to him, these track cars have to be sold after they reach 9000 miles because they buy a new track car each year (new model). Does this sound right to you? Is this a safe buy? Thanks!!

14. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in my 20s and I like driving the Prius. Granted, I'm kinda weird. :D I like to argue and if someone makes negative comments about my car, I see it as a chance to engage in debate. With something like a Civic or Corolla, I would just blend in with everyone else my age. Meh. I don't want to pay for something expensive like a Corvette or Porsche that will also sacrifice room/storage space/ride quality. Thus, the Prius fits the bill. It's polarizing yet extremely affordable and practical. The reduced environmental impact while using less foreign oil is also nice.

I also thought about something like and EVO or STi, but they seem to have the testosterone dripping, tuff guy, trying-to-hard-to-be-cool image. Plus, they get about 20mpg and every punk 17 yr old kid will want to race. :p

15. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Masmastger05,

Since this was a "loaner Vehicle" I assume for the Dealership, I would ask to review the service records, and also see what they are willing to do with an extended Warranty without added cost to you. They should throw that in to give you what it would be if the car was sold New. Since they would have serviced the car and performed the scheduled maintenance, which granted with those miles is not much, but see if you can get a hold of the service records to review to ensure there was nothing that needed repair as part of the loaner program. And ask for an extended warranty if only to add another year to the end of the regualr warranty. Just good piece of mind. :)

16. Bob.H

Bob.H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was 22 I owned several cars. One for every occasion.
    My hot rod, a beater, and a car for parking.

17. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello Macmaster:

I think that the 2009 Touring is an excellent choicie. I have a 2009 package 5 non-touring, and I really like it. And if I had the situation occur where I had to choose between a new 2009 G2 vs. a 2010 G3 right now, I'd choose the G2 all over again, I like it that much better than the G3.

Additionally, those "early adopters" who have purchased the G3 have started reporting some of those "growing pains" problems that most of us would expect with the release of a brand new model. In fact, there are even some problems cropping up lately that you wouldn't expect with the G3, given that it's a Toyota.

Toyota will probably eventually get it sorted all out, but in the meantime that's where the early adopters are so useful: they get to experience the problems firsthand so that the problems can get reported and fixed. So if you don't want to be a "beta-tester" for the G3, keep in mind that the 2009 G2 is the most "perfected" Prius yet, with all the little niggly things pretty much fixed.

I've known people that have bought rental cars of different makes, and been very happy with them, as those cars came from a "major" rental agency, where they keep up on their required maintenance. I've driven rental Priuses several times, and they work just great. Given the abuse that Priuses take in taxi fleets without major repairs, if I were buying a used car, I would not worry too much about buying a rental, lease, or loaner Prius G2.

Best wishes,

18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh yeah, I'd like to say that I bought this car a year and 4 months ago. I'M LOVING IT!!

(It's funny reading your old threads)

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just read through the whole thing. it was funny, seems like you've been around forever.:)

20. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Too bad. Now you're spoiled for life.

You'll never be happy driving anything that isn't capable of getting 50 mpg . . . and your choices are pretty limited.