1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

23012 out the door, 2008 pkg #2 northern VA

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by SvenPrius, Dec 16, 2007.

1. SvenPrius

SvenPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2008 metallic gray package #2
    $22000 sale price, $23012 out the door ($22212 after my trade-in)

Alexandria Toyota
    3750 Jefferson Davis Hwy
    Alexandria, VA 22305

703 684 0700, salesperson was Hytham.

Hold their feet over the fire and get them to give you a solid price (preferably in writing via email). I was happy with the sale price, but not too pleased when they said they'd only give me $800 (started at $700 - argued them up) as a trade in for my 1996 Saturn SL2. Kelly's Blue Book lists it as $970 in "fair" condition and Carmax sells 97/98 SL2s for over $8000. This is after the user car manager quoted $1000 over the phone as long as the car was in decent condition. I'd place it in between fair and good on the Kelly-meter. I knew they were going to try and do something like that though. I probably should have just sold it myself, but I just don't have time to deal with it and didn't want it sitting around the house. Beware of them trying to pull something out of their butts for financing (like financing fees). Fortunately I paid for it out-of-pocket w/o financing.

I had Koons Toyota in Tysons say that they could do out-the-door at $22500, but when it came down to making them commit to it over the phone, they said they actually couldn't to that price. (Beware of these folks - I get the feeling they'd say anything over the phone to get you to come in. Make it clear that you're not going to buy a car if they don't commit to something over the phone and if that number changes you're just walking out and they'll lose your business forever.)

I used the other dealerships in the area as leverage and I actually got a firm commitment for out-the-door of $22400 from Lustine Toyota/Dodge ( 703 494 9154) - but that was for the only 2008 pkg #2 they had in stock - which was white - and I really didn't want white. If you're going to try to get them to give you that price, tell them that you're definitely getting a Prius today or the next and that it's just a matter of who has the best deal. Then tell them that Koons of Tysons is giving $22500 out-the-door. Lustine is supposed to be the biggest dealership in the area, so they should be able to give the best price - I just didn't want white.

Hope this helps someone!