1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

240hp EV Super Bike Takes 2nd Place

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by hill, Feb 23, 2011.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    World-famous electric motorcycle made in Laguna Hills garage | yates, race, says - Life - The Orange County Register

Holy Molie . . .
    [​IMG]
    Hey! Not bad for a home brew . . .
    And since blowing away most of the standard gaser/super bike fields, he's gone on to jack up the power to a whopping 240hp. That'd make you pucker. Not too shabby for a 1st day out on the track.
    :rockon:

2 people like this.
  2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    When I was much younger (and way stupider) . . . I mod'ed my 750cc 80hp motorcycle to run with nitrous. The stock 80hp on a 400lb motorcycle is a huge power to weight ratio . . . with rider, that's 7.5hp for EACH pound of rider AND motorcycle. On the dyno, when the nitrous kicked in, it'd jump from 80hp, to 150hp. ... or 12hp for each pound moving. It ran 10's in the quarter mile. Even being young and stupid, I knew it'd eventually kill me, so I sold it before it did.

I can't even begin to fathom what 240hp would be like on a bike ... but being in my 50's now ... it's scary thinking about it.
    :eek:

4. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry I have to correct... 7.5 x 400 = 3000 you did not have 3000hp did you?

- Alex

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ew ... you're right . . . my weight (200lbs) + bike (400lbs) = 600lbs
    150hp divided into total weight (600lbs rider+bike) and you get 1hp per FOUR pounds.

80hp into 400lbs is 1hp per 5 pounds. But ... it's a bit tricky making the bike drive all by itself, much LESS the bike hitting the nitrous switch all by itself. Yes, my doctor's degree is not in math. Boy . . . either way ... correct math or wrong ... talk about missing the gist

What I find most exciting is this: Ev's are knocked for "not being as good" as gas, because of range. For the 1st time here, an EV is competing is the same "class" as the gassers. Not only does the EV have the power, it competes with the other racer's range.

6. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  7. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Israel is working on changing over the country to EV vehicles. To "refuel" you pull into a station, they disconnect and drop the battery pack out under your vehicle and then lift a fully charged battery into your vehicle. I takes less than 60 seconds to complete! Racers could pick up a fresh battery at pit stops. It would be like changing the battery on a cordless drill! These are interesting times indeed.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I've shown some of the younger folks I work with this vid . . . guys that are serious 'wanabe' pro some day riders ... meaning they've seriously broken tons of bones, following their passion/hobby/sport.
    :p
    They're really eatin' this shiz up . . . making them willing/interested in the potential power of electric.