1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$25,161 good price for Package #5?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by ucsbgaucho, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ucsbgaucho

ucsbgaucho New Member

Just got an internet offer from a local dealership for an 07 prius, Package #5, Barcelona Red. $25,161 (just pay sales tax, doc, DMV, etc). Is this a pretty good price? MSRP according to them on this one was $28,074.

2. mayathystle

mayathystle New Member

that's a great deal. i paid 25,652 for a package five only 3 weeks ago. looks like prices are coming down!

3. ifosso

ifosso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Picked up my 07 Package 5 for 28,100 but the dealer gave me 3k more on my trade than anyone else, they are obviously discounting them now. There where 10 total on the lot including mine, 2 of which where package 5s.

4. jezroj

jezroj New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like a good deal to me. For the heck of it, find out which dealer is the Costco dealer and call them over the phone to get a price, if they ask you to come in, just tell them you don't have the time, they will give you cost over the phone.

A week ago, I checked stock for my neighbor and a lot in stock in SD, all dealers had them. I am in the South Bay and use Frank Toyota for service and have been real pleased with them.

Enjoy the new ride!

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ucsbgaucho @ Jan 10 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]373845[/snapback]</div>

IMHO dealer fees are just extra profit. Tell them in an e-mail or over the phone that you aren't paying extra for the office girl to sit at the computer and do what you can do at DMV for free. If they won't budge and you can't find the car cheaper somewhere else try saying you'll pay $1000 higher dealer fee and $1000 less for the car (this may save some sales tax). Check out www.carbuying tips.com and good luck.

6. chuperman

chuperman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    that seems to be lowest i've heard s far. i paid 25955 two days ago. they must really be tryin to unload them now!

7. lovebliss

lovebliss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuperman @ Jan 11 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]374114[/snapback]</div>

Great Deal I think. When you buy will you let us know which dealership it was. I might just go there. It is the best price I seen in San Diego yet.

8. alansanmateo

alansanmateo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adoraim @ Jan 11 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]374460[/snapback]</div>
    I received a better price, today, at City Toyota in Daly City. Exact car. But not enough of a difference that it would pay to fly up here and drive it back home to San Diego.

Well, I guess that depends on how much you pay yourself to drive it home.

If you go to City Toyota, go through Lease Sales/Internet Sales. Very easy folks to work with. And they speak like 8 languages there!!

9. dylandog

dylandog New Member

Dude - excellent deal! The Edmunds invoice price lists a PKG #5 at $25,332.

I would respond with "I'll pay you $25,200 out-the-door."
    An out-the-door price should include tax, lic/doc - nothing else... refuse to pay anything else they may want to add on (including extended warranties, maintenance and prep fees) and see if you get it!
    Good luck and let us know how much you ended up paying! :D

10. nelhenej

nelhenej New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ucsbgaucho @ Jan 10 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]373845[/snapback]</div>
    Where did you get that offer? I am looking to buy a Prius within the next couple weeks.

11. lovebliss

lovebliss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nelhenej @ Feb 13 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]389895[/snapback]</div>
    Here is some advice I can give you on buying your Prius. I did research for about a month before purchasing. Look at the newspaper and you will see that you can get up to $3000 off at some dealerships.

Read the forums!!! I found a great deal of info here.

1. Edmunds is a great place to start. it gives you invoice and MSRP so you have an idea of what you are going to pay.

2. Don't let the dealership show you the edmunds price. Sales people will come out and tell you that people are paying $30K for the car you want. This is no longer true. The overall information at edmunds is for cars SOLD in 2006!!! when people where waiting weeks to buy a prius.

3. Walk out if they are giving you the "let me talk to my manager" dance. I had one dealership do this when I told them that in order to get my business they needed to give me a $2500 discount. You want to hear the best part of the story - The same dealership emailed me that afternoon saying that ALL of the Priuss had a $2500 discount!!!!!

4. Get your financing before you go in. This tells them that you are serious about buying a car. Right now Toyota has great rates so use it as a negotiation tool. Tell them if they can drop the price you will finance with them. The best rate now is 4.9 for 60 months. (with good credit)

5. If you have a PDA or something w/excel that you can take with you load it with a payment calculator. This is a great tool to have while you are there. Once you negotiate the price have them give you the OTD (out the door) price. (taxes, fees) If possible CALCULATE THIS YOURSELF! DON'T BE AFRAID TO BE PREPARED.

What the dealership will do is give you an overestimate of your monthly payment so when you go into financing and they pitch you the "extended warranty" "additional alarm" "lojack" "gap" for an extra $20 a month you say YES THAT IS A GREAT DEAL. We almost fell for this because what they initially showed was for $510. When we did the calculation it was only for $485!!!

This is important because this is where they get you. EXTRAS in the financing department!!!!

Check out the forum for prices on the extended warranty. They should not be more that $1000. Remeber that you have up to the 3yr/36000mile mark to get this. As for GAP that is totally up to you and hold out until they give you almost half off.

The bottom line with EXTRAS is: They are worth the money if you know you want them BEFORE going into the financing department. The best way to buy a car is to know what you want and what you are willing to pay. I do have to say that reading the forum helped me a great deal in learning how to buy a car!!!!

Good luck!!!

Oh I got my 07' pack#6 for $26,594 before taxes and fees from Mossy Toyota.

12. prettyprius

prettyprius New Member

I talked to 3 dealers in my area and for a package #6, I was able to negotiate from 26,467 to 26,167, and finally down to 26,000. For $839 more you can get the leather seats (with leather steering wheel, siding, and middle console). Just a thought. It might be less competitive in your location, but the price you got doesn't seem at all too bad.

13. Roger Dodger 1

Roger Dodger 1 New Member

I am new here, looking to purchase a new car (2007) --

Question: when some of you say, you made a deal at so many dollars (and quote the price) for a car and package #5 or #6 -- I want to make sure I understand just what you got . . . .

I have a quote and it has the cost for the car, PLUS Package #5 costs, PLUS "The Extra Mile Option Package C, with a price, and PV "Permavin / Glass Etch and Limited Warranty" with a price -- then a total.

So -- when you quote your price and say with package #5 (or #6) is that with some other items like I just listed, or only the #5 or #6 ???

Because that could be a $1,000 to $1,300 difference or higher.

I just want apples to be apples -- and not walk away from a good deal.

ALSO, I am reading that it is really better to have #6 with leather from the factory, than at the port, and done local, is if-ie ????

Finally, to have XM Radio, if the car is here, and not installed, can the dealer do it OK? Or is that a port issue . . .

See, I need some help, Thanks,

Roger Dodger 1

14. sshiffrin

sshiffrin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Okay. I bought a 2007 touring edition with package 5 (everything but the leather seats which I don't want in Arizona), car mats and rear bumper applique as well as a dealer added tint job (allegedly $395) for $26,696 plus fees, registration and taxes. MSRP including destination charge was $28,609 plus dealer tint job for a total sticker of $29,004.

Hope this helps.

15. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve in Arizona @ Feb 28 2007, 06:57 AM) [snapback]397788[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. it does help. Thanks (to you and others in this thread.)

On Friday I almost bought a 2007 non-touring (package 5) for $26,574. My wife pulled me out of the dealership and wants to wait until the end of March (before the tax break drops down again.) The dealer said that the price was only good thourgh Feb-28 (today), but I think that there will be deals to be made at the end of March as well.

I'd rather get the touring edition as I do a lot of mountain road driving.

Any thoughts on Lease vs Buy? I was offered 1%/yr on a 3-year lease and 3.9% on a 48 month purchase. I'm gonna go over the 12K miles per year, but I intend to buy it out.

16. kbarreras

kbarreras Junior Member

17. mikecanniff

mikecanniff Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ucsbgaucho @ Jan 10 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]373845[/snapback]</div>
    First post on the forum here - I just picked up the same package #5 for a little bit more the $25,161 mentioned above. It appears that the Edmund invoice quote is pretty accurate. Althrough the dealer was telling me that I was getting the car for $900 under invoice. What are others claiming for invoice price these days.

I recommend Concord Toyota in the Bay Area. I live in the Central Valley and they delivered the car to me just prior to the 0% financing deal ending. Very painless buying experience - unless you count being out $25,000+! :blink:

18. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mike C. @ Mar 3 2007, 01:11 AM) [snapback]399424[/snapback]</div>
    Edmunds says invoice is $25,332 but my dealer was saying I got mine at "$500 under invoice" when I bought it at $25,462 yesterday! :p I'm not too terribly disappointed, because dealers used to charge above MSRP from what I read, but I wonder what's up with the discrepancy. Out of curiosity, what did they tell you the invoice price was?

19. dguruswamy

dguruswamy New Member

The invoice price listed by Edmunds does not include regional advertising fees. I used Car Bargains from Checkbook and all the bids I got were +/- invoice PLUS regional advertising fee (and naturally tax, tags, title, and processing fee). FYI, in the Washington area the regional advertising fee is 2.1% of the invoice so on a base model with a package 6 where the invoice is $26,348 according to Edmunds the advertising fee would be $553. The reason dealers can sell below invoice is they get a holdback and financial reserve (you can see it on the invoice) so they may not be losing money but they aren't making a lot either. However, in order to continue to get Camry Hybrids and Corolla's the dealer has to take an allotment of Prius's even if they aren't moving.

Dont' wait before buying a Prius Dealers are selling the cars for a couple hundred under invoice here in Northern Virginia (almost all dealers charge arounda ~$300 processing charge which is nothing but profit for them) which means the dealer is only clearing a few hundred and all that's from the holdback. Waiting until the end of the monthy is a risky strategy especially if you are picky about color or option packages. Remember to get the tax credit you have to take DELIVERY by the end of the month.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Mar 12 2007, 02:14 AM) [snapback]404056[/snapback]</div>

20. Skynight

Skynight New Member

MIDDLESBORO, KY (SE KY, WHERE KY, TN., AND VA. MEE
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ucsbgaucho @ Jan 10 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]373845[/snapback]</div>

We just bought a 2005, and in doing so, looked at all the new prices. The best prices we could find east of the mississippi are:

www.westborotoyota.com (boston, mass)

for a pkg 5 is $25,405

...and earl stewart at west palm, fl. at 2k under msrp

so that price sounds great!