1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

25HP Performance Module?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by acousticbiker, Jan 27, 2006.

1. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

2. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Frankly it sounds like complete BS to me...

As tightly computer-controlled as the Prius is, it is highly unlikely that any 3rd party "chip" is going to give you an extra 25HP or more torque.

There is absolutely no information in the entire auction description that describes what this product is or what it actually does. There is plenty of description of what it is "not"...

Just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.

I'm always astonished (I know, I should accept it by now) of how willing people are to believe that some sub-$50 doohickey or fuel additive is going to get them the kind of performance boost that has evaded the best Japanese engineers (as well as Detroit) for 100 years.

If they really knew how to market to Prius owners, they'd claim that this "chip" gave a 20% MPG increase too!

(Whatever happened to the idiot selling a flexible 15W solar panel for the Prius? Did he get laughed out of town?)

- Bob R.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have seen many similar offered on ebay, but never one purchased. If these "chips" improve any vehicles' performance, it is by altering the signal from the intake temperature sensor. The engine computer thinks that incoming air is colder, and so injects more fuel. Power might increase; mpg and emissions would suffer.

Prius is a bit unusual in that the air/fuel mixture is tightly controlled also at the exhaust end. I don't suppose that it would enjoy being out of "closed loop mode". You might get a "code" on your little tv screen.

Now I don't say not to buy it, because it probably won't damage the engine, and $20 is not too much to spend for a good lesson.

4. PRIUSGT

PRIUSGT New Member

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No no no, what you do is take a big-nice person MAGNET and duct-tape it
    to the top of your inverter cover, and then anoint it with holy
    water. You'll get over 100 MPG.
    _H*

6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Google is your Friend. (I am not so sure anymore after the China deal....bad google)

Here is his replay of how it works:

>>>

The Optima performance module will curve your air/fuel ratio and advance timing thus increasing performance. It works the same way the popular JET CHIP works but not at $400

The Optima performance module will be installed between your IAT sensor and ECU. Installation is simple and easy, takes about 15 min. with no special tools, no soldering required.

<<<

Apparently, it is just a resistor pack connected to IAT (Intake Air Temp Sensor) to fool the computer into raising Fuel/Air mixture to create higher horsepower.
    Possible. But with two side effects:
    - no longer clean burning (your CAT may go faster also)
    - worse fuel consumption

Just my take on this crap. $20 for a resistor pack. :lol:

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Holy water has a capital H if you please, sir.

Here I've had magnets on the sumps and oil filter, but never thought to make those perky electrons turn right. And good call on the duct tape, for some reason my magnets weren't sticking to the shiny inverter cover.

Thanks, pal.

8. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used to own a Buick Grand National turbo car. I had 3 computer chips for various applications. I ran the stock chip, a mild racing chip, and an all out racing chip. They were all very different, BUT they were also made for that high performance car. As far as performance claims go- beware of things that sound too good to be true. Perhaps someone will come out with something, BUT you will more than likely void your factory warranty. And don't forget about the "Black box" the Prius has. It logs everything. It reminds me of "Big Brother."

These cars are made for maximum milege. If Toyota offers something and they install it that's OK. I have a 2005 Harley Sportster 1200CCs. I wanted a mild high performance upgrade. Harley offers several. All they cared about was 1) The parts were Harley's and 2) The dealer installed them. Thus, my 7 yr. warranty remains intact. Good luck. B)