1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

25K miles Service (To perform or not to perform)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ty D, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Ty D

Ty D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought my 2018 Prius with 24,800 miles on it from the dealership. The salesman said that the car was serviced before I took ownership of the vehicle. When I enter my VIN in the Toyota app, I do not see any record of that maintenance done in the vehicle's service record. Based on the app, the last documented service was performed at 20k miles. Should I take the car to be serviced now that it's at 25k so that there's traceability of the performed service? Recommendations welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it was "serviced" at the selling dealership, they should be able to provide the work order even if they did not enter it into the Toyota online record. The 5K intervals include tire rotation and some system checks. If you want to be thorough, you can have them check the brake wear and document it. Some Gen 4 owners are reporting premature brake pad/rotor wear. Download the Maintenance and Service booklet from the Toyota website and note recommended service items for the 10K service intervals vs. the 5K service intervals. The service reminder is set to alert you every 5K miles from the last time it was reset, so you might be seeing the reminder on your dash if it was not in fact reset at 25K.

Ty D and Merkey like this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    25K service is only tire rotation, fluid check and a few other inspections. No oil and filter change. Unless you are finding obvious signs that the selling dealer lied to you about pre-sale service, such as torn wiper blade or very uneven tire tread, I would not worry about it too much. The traceability of the service record is convenient but the service write-up often don not describe details of what was done, so it's not much of help as a record anyway. On the other hand, if the car is at 25K and less than 2 years, then you may still qualify for the Free Toyota Care service at any Toyota dealer. I am not sure of the transferablity of the Toyota Care, but I thought it did transfer to a new owner. So, that maybe worth checking if you really want to get the 25K service on the record.