1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

28" Inch Driver Side PIAA Wiper Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Jun 25, 2006.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my 28" PIAA wiper upgrade from Sigma the other day and when I tried to install it the adapter is the wrong size and wont fit onto the wiper arm. I fixed this problem by replacing the large PIAA adapter with the smaller one from the stock Toyota wiper. Then came my next problem. The Toyota adapter it too narrow and will allow the wiper to slip. So to fix this problem I had to use some spacers. Since I did not have any I would have to make my own. I started with a larger PIAA adapter and cut it in half. I then used a dremel to sand it down flush with the edge of the adapter wall. You can see it in the picture below. This wall happens to be the right size to fill the gaps. I then rounded the adapter wall out so if it moves around in the wiper you would not have a long piece of plastic sticking out of the wiper. When everything is in place it looks and works perfect! Even with all the extra work involved its still worth it to have those few extra inches. :D

I got my idea from DocVijay http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=192971

Here are the pictures.

First is the adapter from the Toyota wiper.
    Second is the wall of the PIAA adapter sanded down flush.
    Third is the final product.
    [​IMG]

If you can see it this is how much space you have to fill on each side of the adapter.
    [​IMG]

If you can see it this is what the finished product looks like.
    [​IMG]

2. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whow, that looks just like my 28" wipers....lol OK I'll quit now...starting to get splitting pain in side from laughing so loud.

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Wow, I guess size does mater. Now I have wiper envy.

Just kidding, did you do all three wipers on you car. I know the back one is way too small but I have not noticed the area the front ones cover. Maybe it is just how you use them.

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All my wipers are PIAA now. The only wiper upgrades in size are the rear and driver side wipers. The passenger side wiper cant be upgraded. This mod needed to be done only to the 28" driver side upgrade. The other 2 wipers fit just fine.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 25 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]276716[/snapback]</div>
    I did the same thing, only I used one thicker spacer instead of two. Works great.

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Jun 26 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]276843[/snapback]</div>
    I thought about using just one thicker spacer but i'm a little picky when it comes to certain things and for some reason I just wanted my adapter centered.