1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2k4 Prius - keys robbed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kenedamick, Jul 19, 2006.

1. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

Hello..
    Friday night my wife was robbed at gunpoint, pistolwhipped in the eye and her purse was stolen out of her 2004 Prius (in our garage). Anyway, the moron who robbed her got nothing - all credit cards were cancelled etc. She didn't have any cash on her. The worst part about it is they got our ONLY master key to the Prius. So we had to go buy a couple of blanks yesterday. Here's the deal though - we live in a house with one of those linear garages, where one car parks behind the other. The prius is just stuck in the garage. We can't get it towed or anything. My question is, can the valet key SOMEHOW get this thing started? If I can get it started and out of our garage, I can get it to our Toyota dealership to get programmed?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance..

-Mick

2. BenR

BenR New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't have an answer for you, but I want to tell you how sorry I am to hear of this horrible situation. I hope your wife is okay!

3. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BenR @ Jul 19 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]288656[/snapback]</div>

She is hanging in there pretty well. Thanks.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenedamick @ Jul 19 2006, 10:51 AM) [snapback]288653[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Master" key and "Valet" key. Do you have one of the FOBs for your car or not? And if you have a "Valet" key (whatever that is), shouldn't it be able to start the car? (Isn't that what a Valet does? i.e. moves cars)

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Didn't the dealer give you two key fobs? I'm not sure what you mean by the "valet key".

From what I read here, if you lost two key fobs and no spares, you'll have to bring the car to the dealer and change the ECU as well.

6. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No answer here either. Do you not have the second key that came with the car? Also, your dealer should be able to program using the key code that came with the car (the small metal tag). I also am sorry to hear about this horrible incident and hope your wife is OK. Hopefully your insurance will cover the cost of the new FOB's.

7. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jul 19 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]288664[/snapback]</div>

We did get two - I lost the first one within 6 months of us buying the car (predictably) and the other one was stolen in the robbery. The valet key is the little "key" that comes out of the top of the master key. I was wondering if that would work somehow in starting the car.

If we can get the car out of the garage to the dealership then they will program the keys to the computer in the car. The guy that robbed my wife is too big of a dumbass to know how to operate that thing.

I guess we have a 2005 Prius - not a 2004 Prius. I need more coffee.

-M

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Jul 19 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]288662[/snapback]</div>

"valet key" is the term that the people at Toyota have used to describe that tiny "key" that is removable from the main master key.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot - I'm just some regular ol prius owner. Be easy on me!!! java script:emoticon(':lol:', 'smid_9')

8. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your Prius should have come with two fobs, both of which are masters. You should be able to operate the car with either an should also be able to program new fobs with either.

If you indeed only had one fob, then I would suggest that you call around to various towing services. Surely one of them has some sort of dolly that could be placed under the front wheels after jacking them up so you can roll the car out of the garage.

This can't be a unique problem in the world of automobile towing.

9. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenedamick @ Jul 19 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]288668[/snapback]</div>
    No way that I know of to start the car with one of the little metal keys. I'm nearly certain there is no way.

I think the only thing you can do is get it towed to the dealership (unless your dealer makes housecalls). They have to program the keys, and my understanding is that they need the car there to do that. There is some debate as to whether they will need to replace the ECU (one of the computers), but from the things I've read recently, I think this often is NOT the case (if the dealer knows what they're doing).

This is as good a time as any to remind everyone that if you lose a key, you should make an effort to replace it in fairly short order. My understanding is that it's MUCH easier (and cheaper) to program a new key if someone has an existing one. Not that this helps you now, kenedamick, but hopefully it will help someone else.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenedamick @ Jul 19 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]288668[/snapback]</div>
    Ah yes. Well, I can understand why people mix up the terminology. I think "Emergency Key" would be a better term for it, but even that's not 100% good, since it can't actually start your car in an emergency.

EDIT: Actually, now you've got me interested. How did you end up with an emergency key, but not with one of the FOBs (little remote thingies)? Or are those one of the "blanks" that you bought yesterday?

EDIT2: And I agree with Marlin. I'm sure that tow companies have the technology to tow cars that are in "Park." Otherwise, how would they tow cars that are parked illegally on the street?

10. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul 19 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]288672[/snapback]</div>

Right - but the thing is, right now the Prius is a big immovable object. It's stuck in "lock" position and there's no way to get it in neutral..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Jul 19 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]288678[/snapback]</div>

Exactly - what is the purpose of that thing if it can't start the car? I seriously don't know what it is for.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Jul 19 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]288678[/snapback]</div>

Yes - please take it from me. If you lose a key, REPLACE IT! We're looking at 450.00 + for these blanks plus programming. I should have had mine replaced the second I lost it. I'm just stubborn.

:)

RE: EDITS -

We bought two blank FOBS that need to be programmed. They both have the little emergency keys - but now that I think about it, there is no way that the emergency keys are already customized to our specific Prius - so it's a moot point.

Sucks about the tow. We crapped away 55.00 yesterday for some tow-guy to come over and tell us he "can't do it".

Bummer.

11. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenedamick @ Jul 19 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]288681[/snapback]</div>
    As Marlin said, I'll bet they can put a dolly under the front wheels to get it out of your garage.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenedamick @ Jul 19 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]288681[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you can use it to unlock the door (from the outside) if the battery in your FOB dies. OR, some people use it if, for example, they are going swimming and want to leave the FOB in the locked car, but want to be able to get back into the car.

I'm glad you took this in the right spirit, kenedamick. I was worried that I'd come off as "scolding," which was not at all my intent.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

12. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenedamick @ Jul 19 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]288681[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, well, I wouldn't pay the guy who came out and told you he couldn't tow the car. If they made you pay by credit card before he came, I would at least check with my CC company to see if I could dispute the charge. Send them (the CC company) a letter disputing the charge, and at least make the towing company justify the charge to the CC company. This seems like such an obvious ripoff.

Meanwhile, I concur with all the others on here that there is a way to tow that car. The real problem is getting it out of the garage so the truck can hitch up to the wheels, but I'm willing to bet there's any number of towtruck drivers who can figure out how to do that.

13. kenedamick

kenedamick Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Jul 19 2006, 10:26 AM) [snapback]288685[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks very much for the info.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenedamick @ Jul 19 2006, 07:54 AM) [snapback]288658[/snapback]</div>

That's good news. I'm glad it wasn't worse.

15. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's very frightening experience. I hope she recovers from her injuries quickly.

Unfortunately, you are looking at ECU replacement. If you have lost both fobs (yes, it's a word, not an acronym), I believe you cannot program a new fob to the car. The "valet key" (as you call it) is ONLY good for opening the door. If you were to valet your car, they would have to have the fob, not just the key. BTW the little numbered metal tag that came with your original key is the coding for cutting the ridges in the metal key, and has nothing to do with the programming of the fob. I do hope your insurance will cover the cost of the ECU and new fobs.

As far as getting the Prius out of your garage, I have heard of no way to put the car in neutral without starting it up. Surely SOMETHING could be done to get it out without damaging it. It might take several people, but what about this: Flatten a couple of large cardboard boxes (dumpster dive at Ross or Marshalls) and jack up the front wheels enough to get the cardboard under them (and then lower the car to the ground, of course!). Have a tow truck attach chains to the back of the car (I think there's a place on each side to do that). Then with one person on each side of the car holding the cardboard VERY firmly, S-L-O-W-L-Y drag the car out of the garage so that the cardboard drags on the ground and stays under the wheels of the car. If the car would slide on the cardboard too much for you to hold it, maybe several boxes would be needed on each side, jack up all wheels and lay a "track" of cardboard for the car to slide on until it's in place where the driver can get at the front wheels to lift them.

NOTE: I have never done the above, and I have no idea if will actually work in practice. I figure sliding on cardboard would be a lot less stressful on the car (in park) than sliding on any other surface.

16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Jul 19 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]288742[/snapback]</div>
    You sure about this (the ECU replacement)? I had heard that before, but I thought I had read something on here about someone who managed to get new keys programmed *without* replacing the ECU (although, of course, now I can't find it).

Ah yes. You're right, of course. "Fob" is not an acronym.

17. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I have a similar but different situation.

I just stole a prius, and have it tucked away in my garage. Is there any way to get it moving with just a couple of the generic replacement fobs?

:unsure:

For $20 you can get a cheap floor jack from pepboys/checker auto parts.

Get 2.. jack up each of the front wheels.

Push the car outside.

Hook on the tow truck.

I wouldn't pay any tow truck that can't tow that car. It seems odd to hear that they couldn't because just about any tow truck may have to deal with a 4x4 with a locked differential, or with a car that has the emergency brake set. In those cases, they have dolly wheels that strap on to the car tires. They jack up the unmovable tires, put the dolly under, strap it to the tire, repeat for the other side and they are on their way.

18. tazman

tazman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to you and your wife. I hope the individual resposable it caught. I hope your wife will continue to get better and will have no lasting effects from this episode.

Okay, I'm not a Prius owner yet, my 06 is supposed to be in next month, but I am an old hand with cars. If you really need to move your car and the tow guys can't seem to figure it out, try this. There are dollies made for the express purpose of moving cars that have no other means of motivation. Try calling some of the body repair shops and see if they can rent them to you or something. All you do is jack up each tire, put one dolly per tire and the car will roll. They are made for this purpose. If there is no other car behind the Prius, you may only need two dollies for the front tires. I hope this helps you and you are able to get your car running again. Keep us informed on your progress.

19. davidf

davidf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenedamick @ Jul 19 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]288681[/snapback]</div>
    Like others voiced here, my thoughts and prayers are with your wife. What a horrible thing to have happen.

The small key is just to get in the door if the fob battery dies. Once inside, you can use the fob to start the car (you don't need the battery to be working to use the fob in the slot).

Sounds like some good ideas have been put forth here. Good luck and keep us posted.

David

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember to release the parking brake before they tow the Prius.

Also, it's easier for them to reprogram if you had one fob. Now that you have neither, it'll be more costly cause they'll have to reprogram both fobs and the ECU.

Both fobs are master fobs, there are no valet fobs/keys with the Prius. The small key is there so that you can enter the car is the battery dies on the fob.