1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd car search Help

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by YOLOsoBuyaPrius, Oct 6, 2013.

1. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

YOLOsoBuyaPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I already have a Prius could anyone recommend an older car that has (comfortable) seating for 5 and gets good gas millage. The Prius is driven for work everyday and doesn't sit us comfortably on long road trips. On our last road trip we ruined our front grill guard going down a slope in a parking lot because we exceeded the weight limit. We love the Prius and wouldn't trade it for a BMW with comparable mialage

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! i would go with camry. reliable, safe, comfortable, great mpg's, sit's higher than prius. all the best!(y)

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Got a budget in mind? Will a sedan work, or will you need more cargo space? How old, and will you diy maintenance?

The is a wide selection of sedans from 2010 to 2012 that get 30mpg highway. Many over 35mpg.Most of the hatchbacks and wagons we get tend to be on the smaller side.

I'd actually suggest looking into a VW or even an older Mercedes diesel. Diesels tend to exceed their EPA ratings, more so on the highway. Older years of the Passat diesel were available as a wagon. With the VW, I personally would opt for a manual over the newer double clutch automatic. If it is a higher mileage car, check to make sure if the timing belt was changed.

4. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A sedan with a higher weight limit like an SUV and a large backseat like a Dodge Charger would work. we are definitely looking for an older vehicle 2000-2006 under $8000. We don't do diy maintenance. If i were to pick anything It would be a Lincoln Navigator or Mercury Mountaineer or Mariner. But the problem is if we spend all this the car sits unused in the garage because we have a company car and the Prius for work everyday. A Camry will defiantly be an option. :unsure:

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How often are these trips then? Wouldn't renting make sense then, or is the insurance for a third car and/or the hassle of renting not make it so?

With so few miles, you might have to pay for a timing belt change once maybe never during ownership of any car. A diesel Passat will run at the top end of your budget appears.

Are the upscale SUVs more comfortable than the Ford equivalent? A Crown Vic or Mercury Grand Marquis will get better mpg on the highway than an SUV, except, perhaps the Mariner, and be larger than a Camry. They can be found for under your budget. Parts will be plentiful, and thus costs there low if needed.

6. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We'll we go on long trips about once a season (Christmas, Thanksgiving, and summer vacation) But these trips are always 4+ hours and make us uncomfortable. I am defiantly looking at the larger sedans. The SUVs that are wider but do not have a 3rd row would work because the car seat in the middle of the Prius squishes whoever is on the sides to the doors of the Prius. We also will probably drive it to church sometimes because one of the kids has a job and is at work most Sundays. The ford equivalent of the mariner and navigator would work but we had a mercury for over 10 years and will probably have the Prius and whatever 2nd car we buy for 10 years or more. Oh and does anyone know what the metal gray box under the drivers seat is in our 2010?

iPhone ? - now Free

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'd recommend driving it every or every other Sunday in that case. Vehicles that sit too long will actually require extra care. Battery needs to be charged up, fluids circulated, lubricated parts checked, etc. The grease on our Ranger's caliper pins dried out from sitting. So the brake pads started dragging and overheating the rotors.

8. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How funny we have a 1995 ford ranger with some muffler problems as our 2nd car and we never use it definitely will start driving it more until we get rid of it.

iPhone ? - now Free

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might be the gps?

10. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We don't have a gps we have a package 2 could that mean it was removed or it's an empty box

iPhone ? - now Free

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my pip has jack and handle under the seat, but my gen II was with the spare. does it open?

12. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No it's a small sheet metal get box that's bolted to the floor at first I thought it might be where the heated seat thing would be but we don't have those either will post pics tommorrow

iPhone ? - now Free

13. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG] this is what it looks like

iPhone ? - now Free

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That almost looks like it was adding on later.
    Posting the pic the gen3 forums would be better for getting an answer.
    Few people actually come to other cars.

15. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok thanks I did