1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd gen Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by benagi, Mar 15, 2016.

1. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Has anyone heard if and when the Prius v will come out with the improvements of the 4th generation Prius?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll be the 2nd generation Prius v. No not yet. Given that the v and c came out 2 years after the Gen 3, I suspect we won't hear anything until 2017 (or maybe late this year if we start seeing prototypes driving around). If they're following the same 6 year cycle as the Prius (industry standard is 5), then they'll arrive as 2018MY cars.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a rumor that there may not ever be a 2nd gen v, that the line will be discontinued along with the c.

4. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that may well be likely unless gas prices really spike again soon, giving Toyota a bigger incentive to invest in a redesign of this model. The existence of the RAV4 Hybrid weakens the business case for a new 'v': Toyota Prius Family May Shrink As Low Gas Prices Dim Allure

merged

Although I'm blown away by the way the Gen 4 drives, I'm lukewarm about its styling (although it's growing on me). I prefer not only the look of the current v but also its' vaster cabin. I must admit though, it's going to be a hard choice between the v and the RAV4-Hybrid with considering the Gen 4 as well. If I find out Toyota plans to cancel the Prius v, it would give me greater impetus to choose that as a more fuel-efficient alternative to a RAV4 Hybrid. While I'd be missing the undeniably better Gen 4 driving experience, the bigger body is so much more useful. I still might choose the RAV4-Hybrid though based on fear of the occasional winter nightmare.

#4 JeffHastings, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius v has a near world wide lock on a certain driver, Cabbies.

i would think that would make it a no brainer to keep the model. If I was Toyota, my market research group for the v would all be cabbies.

JeffHastings likes this.
  6. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point, anytime I go into NYC practically all you see are Prius v taxis. It makes a FAR better cab than than the Gen 3 liftback and you may be right, demand from that group may alone be enough to keep the v alive.

7. Zrkia

Zrkia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was all set to get a new RAV4 hybrid, but found that the cargo I carry in my v would not fit in it due to the few inch hump in the load floor because of the battery being under the rear seat. Ended up having to get the non hybrid RAV4 (my wife wanted awd, sunroof, heated leather, so RAV4 was the only choice)

JeffHastings likes this.
  8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Having moved from v to Rav4 HV I can attest that the headroom for cargo with the seats down is limited. It does however have more or less equal deck space. A bit shorter but wider by a lot. I would never go back to the v again just because the Rav4 is SO MUCH quieter and smoother to drive, and I don't feel like my butt is 3" off the ground. Trading 10mpg for the much improved comfort seems a fair trade to me.

JeffHastings likes this.
  9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

Interested in your cargo room comparison since the v has a bump in the cargo floor too when the seats are down.

I drove a Rav4 HV for just a very short distance and liked the NVH aspects. Didn't really pay too much attention to the practicality.

Notice you are exceeding EPA. Using any special techniques? What terrain?

10. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you and security of AWD in winter can easily be worth 10 MPG when you need it. I'm torn because my NJ winters are usually not so bad but occasionally they can be. Most days a 'v' with winter tires would be fine but there are those infrequent snowstorms when you'd NEVER want to be without AWD. Plus it seems the RAV4-HB is likely a lot better to drive than the underpowered 'v'; smoother, peppier and quieter from what I've read thusfar.

merged.

One of my dealer reps. said he's heard this rumor too so maybe the 'v' will be a goner very soon.

#10 JeffHastings, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2016
  11. PanthersFan

PanthersFan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota should absolutely NOT discontinue the v & c. Both are great compliments to their standard Prius. And, yes, gas prices need to spike...I'm fine with that. People are convinced to be more eco-friendly when it hits the wallet.

parnami likes this.
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...seems like we have to add RAV4 Hybrid to the Prius family as far as sales figures, RAV4 seems to be starting to take v sales almost half maybe.