1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd Gen running on EV

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by RobertStainer, Dec 1, 2019.

1. RobertStainer

RobertStainer New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    New to the Prius, enjoying maximizing my mpg. I like to run on electric as much as possible, is this harmful to the HV battery long term?
    2008 with 280,000 miles with new battery

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes... You'll have to replace your battery pack sooner and it will actually decrease MPG because the engine will spend more energy re-charging the battery pack... The car is designed to use both engine and electric motor combined. For best MPG study "pulse & glide" technique... You'll find lots to read up on by searching for that term.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. @PriusCamper is correct. It's extra cycles on the battery. Plus, every time you charge or discharge, there are conversion losses involved, so it will use more gas. The PiP and Prime are plug-in models and they are designed for extended EV driving. The others are not.

If you just drive it using common sense acceleration and braking, you'll be amazed. Or you can study up on pulse & glide as PC mentioned.

John's Stuff - Toyota Prius and more has a wealth of information about all Prius generations. That's where I started and it was a big help.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

280k, keep her going!(y)