1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd Gen Technology

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by EZW1, Jun 9, 2009.

1. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Most are already aware and, like I, appreciate the technology employed in the 2nd gen vehicle. I thought I'd take a moment to be a bit more specific and provide information about this technology.

The numbers are staggering...

Number of computer systems: 18
    A/C Control, Airbag, Battery ECU, BodyCertification ECU, Display, Engine Control ECU, Gateway ECU, Headlight Beam Level Control ECU, Hybrid Vehicle Control ECU, Navigation ECU, Occupant Classificaton ECU, Power Source Control ECU, Power Steering ECU, Skid Control ECU, Tire Pressure Warning ECU, Touch Screen, Transmission Control ECU

Number of fused circuits: 56
    Traction Battery, 1-120A, 1-100A, 11-15A, 1-75A, 1-60A, 2-50A, 3-40A, 9-30A, 13-10A, 2-25A, 3-20A, 8-7.5A, 1-5A

Number of electrical relays: 27
    ABS MTR2, ABS NO2, AC W/P, ATC HTR1, BK/UP LP, C/OPN, CHS W/P, DEF, DIM, DRL NO4, EFI M, FAN NO1, FAN NO2, Flasher, FOG, H-LP, Horn, HTR, HTR, IG1, IG2, IGCT, INV W/P, No1 BatterY Blower, P CON, PTC HTR2, PWR, T-LP

Number of wiring harnesses: 23

Number of electrical connectors: 337

Number of ground points: 17

I thought you might appreciate this.

2 people like this.
  2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I don't know whether to be happy or worrisome. More parts mean more chances to fail. :eek:

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is why you should consider it to be a small miracle each day when you get into your Prius, start it, see READY and no warning lights appear.

5. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no miracle just good enginering

6. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes, good engineering and an example of the technology utilized. One of the reasons I purchased the car was for the technology. Also why I bought Toyota's extended warranty. When the dealer told me the replacement cost (parts + labor) for any one of those computer systems would exceed $1,000, I jumped.

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Any time you can replace mechanical complexity with microprocessors and software, you dramatically reduce the amount of wear and tear related failures that occur. Testing and debugging is another story, but that's where good engineering comes in. With mechanical systems, the more they're used, the more chance of a failure. With software, the more it's used without problems, the more likely that problems won't be encountered.

Of course you can have electronic component failure but with good engineering, the incidence of failure is lower than with good engineering in mechanical systems.