1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd Gen Transponder chip 4d67 or 4d69; virginized used fob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by J Leonard, Jul 20, 2023.

1. J Leonard

J Leonard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have multiple 2nd gen prii and have had clients lose keys. I have tried replacing the transponder chips in the fob. Used chips from the occasional yard key work. But I have been unsuccessful both with 4d67 and 4d69 chips bought off eBay or Chinese parts companies. I have techstream and have tried the chicken dance with no success with these replacement chips. Am I doing somehting wrong and which number 67 or 69 is actually the right chip? Also while we are on the subject of fob replacement. I have one 2009 that every 6 months or so forgets the smart portion of the fob. Using techstream I am able to completely reseed and reenable one key but not the the 2nd whether I use a new replacement fob that had been previously programmed to this prius or an old oem key recovered from a yard. I have read various post about revirginizing fobs but never saw anything that actually was successful. Does anyone know a procedure that works on the smart portion of a fob. Occasionally I have also seen a note on the replacement fobs for sale that warn that they are only good for one programming. Thoughts?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The transponder chips are the little tiny things in the bottom of the fob that only work when the key or fob is in the slot? I would think an order for that to work on another vehicle you would need the transponder receiver that goes with the chip I didn't know you could reprogram or do anything with an existing transponder like for my motorcycle I usually have to get a blank transponder key and the locksmith has a special machine that's made to program transponder chips or transponder keys and I think once it's done it's done if he needs to do it again he uses another blank another transponder of course this guy is dead now and I can't query him about this He did all my bikes for 30 years.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the reason you are replacing the RFID chips that they are missing from the fob? There is no other reason to replace it otherwise. The RFID chip is only for the flat fob battery situation so you can put the fob in the slot and start the car. You can add the RFID to the car via Techstream or the first procedure of the "Chicken Dance". You can use any fob to add this part of the system to the car.

As for the other parts to get the remote lock/unlock and SKS working there is a difference between SKS and non-SKS systems.

For non-SKS you need a fob with the black logo on the back and a fully working fob to add another fob. This will work with a new fob or a used fob. If you don't have a fully functional fob you need to reseed and add.

For SKS you need a fob with a silver logo on the back and it needs to be brand new, never been added to any car. If you have a fully functional existing fob you can add a new one. If not, you need to do a reseed and add.

If you are working on an SKS car, make sure the "Key" button under the steering wheel is in the "OUT" position which ensures the SKS is not disabled.