1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd Nimh battery pack

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by toyotechwv, Apr 20, 2009.

1. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sure it's on here somewhere, has anyone added a 2nd OEM HV battery pack to the Prius? If so can you steer me to some info? Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  3. grizzly1

grizzly1 New Member

Hey Efusco,I have been looking for the same info, those links are of no help as they only disscuss there battery conversions,we both want any info that talks about adding another Toyota pack to the original pack ,what would you gain in MPG?
    Thanks
    Harry

1 person likes this.
  4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MPG gain is nominal, but there would be some. If you're looking for a cookbook with adding a 2nd OEM pack I don't think you'll find it. Those links are not "useless" if you have any idea what you're doing from a technical stand point. Everything you need to know about adding additional battery capacity of almost any type can be gleened from those sites. If you can't learn all you want from either the existing information there or by asking the appropriate questions then this is probably not a project you should risk taking on. Mistakes can lead to fire, damage to the car, damage to the existing battery, or even your death.

1 person likes this.
  5. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There is no improvement in mpg by adding another Toyota pack to double the capacity because the energy to charge the packs comes from the gas. The existing pack's capacity is already optimized for FE and cost.
    To improve mpg the only method is to do the conversion to a plug-in.

1 person likes this.
  6. toyotechwv

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I'm more interested in an increase in system power for acceleration not MPG's. I figured this would be the most cost effective way to do so with this car.

Will be spending much time reviewing those sights, lots of info.

1 person likes this.
  7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While that may seem logical, it's not consistent with evidence and experience from the many who've added capacity...Wayne Brown foremost amongst them. He experienced approximately 10% bump in FE (city and hwy) with the added capacity.

1 person likes this.
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Overall expect not. Capacity != power. Since the battery's power is dependent on SOC you will extend the maximal time you can pull ~ 20 kW, but you will not exceed that power rating. Somewhere overheating is going to limit things too.

1 person likes this.
  9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you had enough technical ability to hack the Hybrid ECU, the Battery ECU, the communication protocol and etc, you'll see 100kW(136PS) max system power plus 100km/h speed by EV only like following plug-in prototype.
    Toyota Plug-in Hybrid information

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  11. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    On flat land there is absolutely no improvement, this is physics.
    If he is driving in a hilly environment, the added capacity will allow longer motor assist on up hill and more regen on down hill, FE may improve.

1 person likes this.
  12. toyotechwv

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Hmm, that sort of technical ability, no. Now if I could only get a reflash from somewhere....:whistle:

I just really want to show people you can tinker with these cars just like anything else and get more "power" out of them and have fun, atleast until someone makes an affordable perfomance based hybrid.

1 person likes this.
  13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The basic problem is that thousands of engineers have already "tinkered" with the Prius for many years. They haven't left you much room for improvement.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is not a VW bug. These cars are not for tinkerers. There are a few mods that have been documented and are easy to make, such as the EV switch and a few others you'll find here. But start messing with the high-voltage stuff and you are into potentially lethal territory. If you are not an electrical engineer you should not even consider it. If you are an electrical engineer, chances are you won't want to. And if you had the know-how to mess with this car's electrical system, you would understand that adding another battery in parallel would extend the EV range, but not increase its power, and adding another battery in series would double the voltage and fry the entire electrical system. If you want more power, a Prius is not the car for you. It is designed for efficiency and minimum pollution, while still providing more power than any other fuel-efficient car.

Enjoy your car. Consider a professionally-installed PHEV conversion if the benefits justify the cost for you. But don't kill yourself messing with 201 volts.

Or consider buying a Tesla Roadster. You can't tinker with that one either, but it's got enough power to blow your socks off.

1 person likes this.
  15. toyotechwv

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for the reply, this is precisely why I'm asking questions. I want all the information I can gather before attempting anything. I believe in learning from mistakes only this is one case where one mistake can be your last. I know I'm completely going against the grain on what I want to do with this car, all the more reason to do it. I'm just weighing my options as to whether I need to try and get more from the electrical side or the ICE side. Seems like I'll be looking more at swapping the ICE and trying to find a way to get torque from MG2 sooner(lower speed) than OEM programming allows.

1 person likes this.
  16. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i hate seeing newbs log on to cut this down. I have long commute over highway 9 here in california.. it's a mountain road where my battery fills up on the first 25% while going down hill.. making me leave the car in B mode to maintain speed.

a new battery Would be helpful because you could force fill it.. the SOC would be "higher" after highway entries, and so forth... i would expect to hit mid 40's again with a second pack.... or additions.

if you ... really ... really wanted to.. you could change out the final gear ratios... it would reduce your top end speed but possibly make acceleration better... (while setting the prius mph record, they altered a prius with longer gears that took a tundra push start to get it up to speed..) so.. i assume a shorter final set would allow for harder accelerations?

17. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    btw.. have you thought about an altima hybrid.. or a fusion hybrid?

18. toyotechwv

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, I really want to bring out the potential of the Prius platform. Toyota swapped in a 1nzfe from a Yaris/Echo for the Prius GT car (Festival of Speed car) so I'm looking into doing the same.

1 person likes this.
  19. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    There are many problems with adding a second pack not least the fact that the car has been optimised for that battery and that engine. Nimh batteries do not parallel up well they have a tendancy to dump huge amounts of current into each other when you aren't looking then there are the problems of over-revving overheating everything burning up and that is just the car. You could maybe electricute yourself or wouldn't it be easier to just go for an old ford??

1 person likes this.
  20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When you try to get "more" out of this car, what you are really saying is that you think you can do better than Toyota's engineers. That's a mighty extreme statement. If you can really afford to risk trashing a $25,000 car, well then, good luck! But remember that this car was designed as an integrated working whole. Everything functions together and everything is matched for optimum functionality.

If you are an electrical engineer, you can add another battery. It's been done. If you are not an EE, you really don't want to mess with high voltage. If you think it's the gas engine that's limiting the car, then you want a different hybrid car entirely, because the engine is matched to the gears to the MGs to the PSD to the software, and changing any one of those is going to be a disaster, unless you really are a better engineer than the ones at Toyota.

It's a great car. Consider HyMotion if you want plug-in. Otherwise, don't mess with it unless you can afford to risk trashing a $25,000 car.