1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Whirlwind, Jan 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Well, it's not REAL!!!

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I have a 15 Prius. Traded in my 12 and reset the payment plan. They gave me 0 percent on the trim 4 with sunroof in sea glass. Guess I'm not in the blizzard pearl group any more.
    The car drives and feels just like my old one but has wipe clean vinyl seats instead of that horrible velor that attracted dirt. They had a lot of 15 prii left on the lot. Gas is down. But I stil bought one because of the highway handling and low wind noise. I have seen very few sunroof models. Ordinarily it's an expensive option but they gave me a pretty good deal on top of the financing that beat my old rate of 2.9
    My payments went up Fifty bucks but I felt it was worth it.
    Features I like the best:
    Seat fabric
    Sunroof
    Navigation option
    Backup cam
    Three magic door handles instead of one
    Voice control

Features I'm ambivalent about
    Hud display
    Home link (no garage)
    XM radio

I had my old Prius for three years and only put 25 thousand on it but oddly I used it a lot for short trips and two long interstate trips.
    Here are a few things I learned if anyone's interested.

Low ground clearance is a pain on the freeway in case of debrie that I did hit on several occasions resulting in minor fairing damage. Be careful when driving at night.

I had a clear film hood bra installed but while it may have protected against gravel chips it looked like crap after a year. The big problem was in areas that the film did not lay flat like around lights and grill, the adhesive attracted dirt and was very noticeable. It also gets stained by sap. I am not installing it on the new car.
    It was after market but done by an installer at a cost of 700 dollars. The edges of all the film became somewhat visible as well, looking like a pencil line.

Leaves and pine needles accumulate in the wind shield gutter and can clog the drainage system allowing water into the engine compartment.
    Don't park under pine trees or any trees. Treat leaves like those weird fried egg creatures from Startrek. I will be much more careful about them with this car. And I won't park it near pine trees at all. The back hatch gutters will also get clogged.

I had some small animal get inside the car even with everything shut. It ate my phone cord and a plastic cup. It also brought its own food in the form of some type of nut. The car had sat parked for about two weeks. I don't leave food in the car. It had been raining a lot that time period.

I only had the weird start up clunk a few times maybe six or so during the time I owned it.
    Interestingly a Prius C I looked at at the same time I was looking at the new 4 did something similar. The salesman acted surprised. I liked the Prius C but it seemed small for an interstate bomber.

The car gave me no issues or scary moments. I got consistently over official mpg more so during long trips. My only complaint was the seat fabric.
    I was reluctant at the time to buy a nicer trim level since I had never owned a hybrid before. I ran mid grade gas in it. I got hit with a door while parked, by a Prius hater. I mean really whacked while I was in the car(!) checking my voicemail. I thought for sure there would be a big ding but there was only a tiny little dent almost invisible. I just glared at the beach and let her go.

Happy new year to everyone
    WW

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! nice write up. i never heard of vinyl in a prius, that's interesting. all the best!(y)

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Well, probably fake leather? as all asian vehicles

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pleather? they take their animal rights seriously.

5. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2011 five I believe it was the last year for leather -- it's highly coated ... not very leather like. My 2015 Lexus CT used what looks to be the same soft touch style vinyl -- It's a wash.

I got the 0% for 5 years on my 2011 Prius -- they have been offering it again for at least 6 months.

6. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Well, it's not REAL!!!

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's officially called leather look or something. It's obviously not leather but it's a bit nicer then vinyl. I love animals as much as anyone however I do happily eat them and I would also happily sit on them in the car but, if they did have any year 2015s left with leather they did not have the power sunroof option.

7. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's probably the same, Toyota SofTex vs Leather vs Cloth Seats that they put in the Persona. I like it a lot. Even like the covered steering wheel. We also have the 2014 Base Two with cloth and plastic, and the Persona is a nice step up in interior appeal.

8. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Belated congrats on your new Prius! I have a 2013 model 4 with the sunroof package. Love it a lot! FYI, last year when was looking on cars.com for a Prius with a sunroof, out of 500+ in the area, there were only 10 that had it. So its kind of hard to find. The seats are softtex, and are comfortable. Enjoy your new ride!

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Time to update your Model from a Three to a Four in your profile! Congrats!

10. solrunner

solrunner Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great post whirlwind. But what was the actual amount of the loans for each car? That's how they get you, they negotiate monthly payments instead of total price.

Good to know about the paint protection. I guess you're better off just getting it buffed, polished, and waxed professionally every couple years.

When I notice leaves and debris building up in the front gutter by the wipers, and around the back hatch area, I just grab it with my hands and remove most of it. My friend had a BMW X3 with a sunroof and apparently he didn't know crap was building up around there. Water damage was very expensive. Created hard-to-diagnose electrical problems. Was a company car, ended up selling it and buying another. They wanted $4,000 to fix and possibly $4,000 more if that didn't work.

Easy problem to prevent if you just give a little attention to your car.