1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd time in a month for Master Warning Light & more

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DIG, Dec 16, 2013.

1. DIG

DIG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The first time this happened was at the end of Thanksgiving, over the river and through traffic, evening. Our mechanic found a tiny leak and that seemed to fix it, until yesterday when it happened again. You lose the temperature reading, and half the screen along with several yellow indicator symbols across the dashboard. Terrifying. But our mechanic assures us it is safe to drive the car and that we may need a new thermostat.

Has this happened to anybody here? And was it indeed the thermostat? Our mechanic is not back until Tuesday and we want to drive the car tomorrow.

Thanks!

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A picture of the problem would help, but this does not sound like a thermostat issue. Is the screen you are talking about the speedo display or the MFD in the middle of the dash.

John (Britprius)

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. You need to check all engine compartment fluids now, before the car is driven again. Especially check the engine radiator overflow tank and the inverter coolant reservoir. Both fluids should be pink in color and the fluid level should be at the top mark. If necessary, replenish with Toyota Super Long Life Coolant.

2. It is hard to say what the problem is without knowing a) where the leak was and b) whether a leak still is the current problem or not.

3. The "several yellow indicator symbols" are very key in determining what the car's problem is. So I suggest you post a sharp photo of them. Good luck.

4. DIG

DIG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your replies. Apparently it is the water pump, which is a common problem for some as Toyota offered up a recall, which we didn't hear about. This happened on Thanksgiving when there was an extended warranty in place and expired November 30, 2013. I'm hoping the Toyota dealership will honor it still as it's close to $400 to replace and we only have 55,000 miles on the car. Plus it first happened before 11/30. Two times in total.

Btw, all the lights went out after taking the car to the car wash. Now we're in limbo. And Christmas driving is around the corner. :(

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it the inverter coolant pump?

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 07 with 70,ooo miles was not one of the cars covered under the Inverter water pump recall so I have the original pump. It seems to be ok.
    Although I have changed the coolant and added some coolant conditioner in that Inverter/Trans coolant loop at 30,000 miles.

I will probably replace that pump soon as a preemptive repair as its not very expensive. I have seen brand new ones in the box on Ebay for $60. But curious to see if keeping better coolant and more importantly not have coolant in there that has turned abrasive from aluminum corrosion will greatly extend pump life.

Anyway its a very easy replacement.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There have been two recalls for the inverter pump and the second one is still active. I also believe the hybrid components are guaranteed for 8 years 100,000 miles unless you live in a CARB state in which case it's 10 years 150,000 miles. California is a CARB state.

John (Britprius)