1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2Q's: front demister and illumination steeringwheel buttons

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by R-P, Dec 25, 2013.

1. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, I think I vaguely remember the steeringwheel buttons being illuminated, or am I wrong? It's really hard to find the right buttons in the dark right now. I haven't checked fuses yet, just wanted to make sure the buttons are supposed to be illuminated before yanking all fuses out (and knowing me: wrecking something unrelated...).
    Since I don't remember for sure if they were ever illuminated, I don't know if they STOPPED being illuminated when disabling the stock radio and putting an aftermarket one in the pocket below it...

Second question: the front windscreen demister (one of the buttons I regularly need) seems to decide for itself when and if it operates. The symbol lights up, but the fan does not kick in half the time. If I have a fogged up front window, I want it to blow like a 25$ hooker, and not to force me to go into the climate menu and select the blow-at-my-feet-and-front-window-button and manually turn up the fanspeed to max...

Is this supposed to have a mind of its own? And if not, any clue what is wrong? And if it IS normal: anyone want to buy a Prius before I run it into a ditch? (Hopefully the anti-misting spray I bought will prevent me from actually loosing my temper, but it is seriously testing my self restraint...)

2. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The steering wheel buttons are illuminated, but not very brightly at all. On mine, when I hit the defrost button on the wheel it seems to kick the fan speed up automatically.

I think I'd try reversing what you did to the radio first to see if things return to normal or not.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When you press the auto demist button on the steering wheel the fan will only come on at full speed if the coolant is hot, as it is an auto setting. Otherwise it comes on slowly and builds speed as the coolant temperature goes up.

John (Britprius)

Data Daedalus likes this.
  4. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks John, so it does have, kind of, a mind of its own. I don't agree with Toyota's choice of doing it like this, for even cold/somewhat-moist-air will, imho, be better than hardly any airflow at all to demist a window, but at least I know it is not malfunctioning.

As for the illumination, I will try to look up the plugs and its separate connectors for the stock radio, to see if that caused it. There are many people who replaced their stock radio, and I cannot recall ever having read other people running into this issue. I did not buy any wiring harnass, as there had already been installed a carkit which converted the Toyota wiring into an ISO loom. Thanks for your input salguod!

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am looking at replacing the LED's in the steering for brighter one's, but to start I am going to check the voltage to them as I think they are being under driven, and may be capable of more light output at a slightly higher voltage. Even if they burn out I will have lost nothing as I will then just replace them anyway.

John (Britprius)

6. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So any clue as to where the current limiting resistor is? Or where it gets its power from? I have just found some threads about the clock-spring being messed up by the steeringwheel-recall. All buttons function properly (although I am no longer using the radiobuttons, so not sure on their functionality). So that is still a possibly cause too, depending on how it is wired up exactly.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are individual current limiting resistors adjacent to each led, but I cannot find a circuit diagram that shows where the steering LED's are supplied from or at what voltage. I would have thought that the supply would be a voltage regulated supply, and could be at 5 volts. It's to wet and windy here at the moment to work outside, but when I get chance I'll have a dig with a DVM.

John (Britprius)

8. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm looking at the 2006 tech. document and found some info on the C12 Combination SW. It seems to have all steeringwheel buttons. The illumination is in page 177 (no resistor values) and page 433. It goes to the rheostat R7. I am not clear enough (its late...) to figure out what connector that goes to.

It might be the same illumination rheostat wire in this plug. (pin 13.1). But all other illumination is working fine, and so is the rest of the MFD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unfortunately the UK version does not have the dimmer rheostat to alter the display brightness. It uses the mph/kph button to step through about 5 light levels when the lights are on, but this does not alter the steering LED brightness at all.

John (Britprius)