1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2X4 or 4X4 for the Highlander?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Scubano, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Scubano

Scubano New Member

Just now thinking about a Highlander to compliment my Prius. I have looked at the 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive, but not sure if the 4 wheel drive is needed (I do NOT off-road) and also not sure if the 2 wheel drive is adaquate for such a large vehicle....

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Austin, TX if you don't think you'll regularly use it to drive to the mountains or for some other adverse road condition use I don't see much point in paying the extra money for the 4WD. But the extra speed/boost from MGR sure feels nice!

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    As Efusco says, the extra power IS nice, however, in the strictest sense, the SUV is NOT really a 4X4. Ours is the Lexus version. There is no ICE delivered to the rear wheels. So the only benefit aside from more electric, is that on frosty roads one has a tiny bit more power that is deliverable to the road, in the event the front wheels slip. Even so, we still use our studded tires in the winter.

4. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    isn't it true though that 4wd models can absorb more energy from regen because of the electric motor in the back? Although I doubt the amount is negligible for the added cost.

5. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    According to the EPA estimates, the "4WD" version gets about 1 MPG less than the FWD version.

6. abishai100

abishai100 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would go with the 4X4.

4WD Hybrid SUV shopping can be tricky unless you are confident about the reliability and performance of your make/model. The HiHy is real nice, so it can handle the 4WD - you'll feel like you own the road driving a heavy, 4WD hybrid SUV.

If you want a light or small hybrid vehicle, but you can afford a big 4WD hybrid SUV, then consider Saab's new hybrid sedan...

Saab | Concept Cars: Saab 9-4X BioPower, Aero X, 9-7X Aero, 9X

7. greg8394

greg8394 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We have an '07 HH Limited 4x4 with 3rd row seat. We have about 13 k mi on it, and have gotten 24.9 mpg (indicated), 24.0 mpg (actual) since we have owned it (based on the mpg computer in the dash, or the miles travelled and gas added). The tire life is poor. It's a very comfortable, beautifully built car. I am not very impressed with the 4wdi (which is what Toyota calls it). They admit that it's not real 4wd. I had the car down on the lawn, going up a hill on slightly wet grass ( I think I may have had our tiny utility trailer, a few hundred pounds, on it at the time). I was glad I had 4wd, but then I started loosing traction, and could not get up the hill. I got out and saw tire patch-out marks only on the front wheels! I was very disappointed; this was wet grass, on a grade, and the back wheels did not even have enough torque to break the wheels loose! They must do something, but not much.

I guess 24 mpg is ok compared to the 18 mpg that Consumers Reports says the regular Highlander gets, but overall, it's still an SUV. We are in MD, and do mixed local, highway driving. MPG around town is better than on the highway (at 70-75 mph which is what we do when we can).

Also, the car is way over-powered. A HH with a 4-cylinder engine would have been very good; with the 6 cyl, it's sort of ridiculous.

We also have an '07 Prius, and are now tending to use it almost exclusively.