1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3,000 miles on a 2006

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nda3rdCar, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

<_< So, you have a great buying experience, a good car is delivered, we drive it 2,500 plus miles, then something decides to come loose in the dash, (center, forward, perhaps behind the LCD display, but almost to the windshield). Not all the time, mostly on city streets with little cracks or small bumps in the pavement. We're not talking about cobble stones! Just normal street conditions that cause a dash rattle that was not there at all for the first 2,500 miles. SO.... How many of you out there have had this, had it addressed by Toyota Service, had it fixed or had it not fixed? This is our first Toyota. I also drive an old '98 Golf with over 85K miles on it with a solid dashboard. Will Toyota Service help me out on this one? How do they treat people with noise issues? The rest of our car is perfect... we love it... it would be nice not to have a rattle each time the wheels touch city streets.

Thanks in advance to any replies or recommendations.

P.S. Los Angeles, West Side, purchased from Toyota Santa Monica. Currently at 3,100 miles.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are several causes of dash rattles.

a) could be a loose shelf from the upper glovebox. Make sure it's slotted in properly

b ) could the centre speaker if you have the JBL audio. Check that

c) Could be the rear tonneau cover (i know that was my problem)

d) I think some had a rattle from the panel on the driver's side, small window near the A-pillar.

3. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, I would first check where Tideland noted, especially in the glove box.

You do not have the JBL, so no center speaker (although I don't know if you have an access panel just behind the MFD where the JBL center grill is on the JBL system). If you have a panel there, pop it open and check to see if there is a loose wire harness you can see/feel.

Otherwise, take it in. I work right near that dealer, but I have never been there for service. Also, that sound may resolve itself over the next few thousand miles.

Let us know what they find.

Mike

4. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 29 2006, 11:44 PM) [snapback]294528[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for a reply: No, it's not the areas you described. The tray in the glove box was one of the first things I checked. In fact, when we first got the car it was so damn quiet and solid, I noticed a "clunk" sound on turns, only to find the sunglasses in the roof-sunglass holder were moving from side to side.... I've been trying to pin down the exact location for a while... to help Toyota Service to find the problem. Thanks again. :)

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

This will be the first of many rattles. My 2004 Prius had at 5000 miles more rattles than our Caravan at 95,000 miles. Get used to the them, more are on the way, especially if you overinflate the tires. ;)

7. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

My tight highly refined quality built Toyota Prius has the driver door eeeeek eeeeek thing if I put my elbow there. I've had my elbow on that spot in my fords for the last 20 years.. this is significantly disappointing.

Straight up from there where the curtain air bag is stashed, I pick up a more subtle, yet annoying eeeek eeeek thing. I make a fist and give a moderate push up in that spot and the eeek eeek thing will stop for 20 to 100 miles and I do it again.

Thankfully I don't have a substantial squeek like yours. These things drive me nuts.

They build these cars in Japan to keep the quality high... um... ok...

Mine is a 2006 (2/15) with 19,000 miles, but both of these annoyances have been going on since I got the car.