1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3,224 miles in a Plug-In Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Nov 22, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nov. 22: Plug-in Toyota Prius leaves the garage

Note: this news article may fit better in the Plug-in forum but I figured to 'post it here and let the moderators sort it out.' I don't have a dog in that fight . . . yet.

Bob Wilson

2. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The writer of the artical says:
    He seems to be indicating that the 2 extra batteries can be recharged through regen. Is that the case? I wasn't aware that the EV batteries could be charged in any way but by plugging in.:confused:

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't know the author's skill level. I suspect he was hired as much for writing skills as anything else and sometimes folks "don't get the memo." But I heard something on AutoLine Daily podcast this morning:

'Utility companies are worried that an influx of plug-in or EVs. Adding one or two is enough to equal one additional house load.'

Bob Wilson

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Just think how much more 'aware' you have to be an a pure EV
    ;)
    The MFD is the other device to which one can be an ICE slob. You can watch it to see how you're doing a little ... a lot ... or not at all. EV? no can do ... nothing else to fall back on - you have to pay attention. ergo, anxiety. We like to be slobs.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius PHV's 2 EV batteries (of the 3 pack) cannot be recharged by regenerative braking, only by plugging in.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is this correct? I'm sure I've read that these 2 EV batteries CAN be recharged by regen but ONLY when they are still 'online'. Once they are depleted and switched off they are offline until they are 'reactivated' again through by plugging in to charge.

The 3rd battery acts as a normal hybrid battery and can be charged with regen. On this note, I wonder if this battery could theoretically be charged significantly (over and above what you can do to the existing gen3 battery) if you were to decend a very long and steep hill.

7. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GrumpyCabbie - that's my understanding too...