1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 brake dash warning lights after new front bearings and brake pads and rotors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eatdrumss, Apr 25, 2013.

1. eatdrumss

eatdrumss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have the brake (!) the ABS and the VSC lit up after i got new bearings and new brake pads and rotors, the car was also stalling before the mechanic removed these bearing "dust cover" circles that must have been causing speed sensor interfernce bc the spedometer was stuck on 0....so the car seems to be done stalling after those were removed and all the big lights went off then i hit the brakes a few miles later and those three lights came on....anyone have any ideas.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I have an idea. Mechanic allowed air into the brake fluid system and now the ABS system is very unhappy. Do not drive the car until this is repaired.

On a PRIUS If you open the brake fluid to atmosphere you must use Toyota Techstream software to manipulate the many relays that control brake fluid metering in order to properly bleed all the air of the brake system. It is very hard to bleed the brakes without it.

There have been a few clever posters that have been able to trick those relays out but that is beyond the scope of this discussion. Search if interested.

Ask mechanic if he opened the brake bleeders. If yes ask him if he has Toyota Techstream software. If no
    get the car to the dealer asap.

Btw, we have seen this hundreds of times. You are not alone.

Good luck!

eatdrumss likes this.
  3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can get error codes from the ABS system. Short the pins 4 and 13 on the DLC3, and watch for the blinking lights on the dash when car is on.

ABS, VSC Lights... Weird!! | PriusChat

That can possibly eliminate some guess work.