1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 Carseats across the back

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Falling2Grace, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Falling2Grace

Falling2Grace New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ive read a few posts about this very topic (3 carseats across the back of the Prius, mine is a 2008 with a hatchback), however, I have yet to read anything about turning off the side curtain airbags. I know three can be done safely with the Diono Radian XRT. I will have 3 under 3 and getting another car is not an option. Anyways, apparently it can be done, but do the side curtain airbags need to be turned off? I realize it is going to be a tight squeeze, so i assume the seats are going to be pretty close to the doors. So my two questions are 1.) do they need turned off and 2.) if they must be turned off, how is that done? I could not locate any information in the manual about it. Will it require a professional? Im all about saving money so if it is something that can be done safety on my own that would be ideal, but obviously saftey is our number one priority.

Ive purchased 3 Diono Radian XRTs. They should be here within a week. I will update, but I just want to make sure everything else is ready.

2. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    1st of all, are you sure that you can fit 3 carseats across the back? I've only tried it once and it was nearly impossible to buckle in all three seats. I've driven over 5 years with 2 kids in the back and only had to add a third carseat a couple times. Each time it was extremely tight fit and it made me seriously think about trading the Prius in for a Camry or a some sort of SUV.

Secondly... you seem certain that the side airbags are a risk to children. Is this really true? I've near heard that the manufacturer or the IIHS recommend disabling them before. Personally, I'd rather have the airbags deploy in case of side collision to protect my kids.

3. Kyle401

Kyle401 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't have any issues fitting the three we need across the back. The only inconvenience will be that the baby carrier base won't fit so it will have to use the seat belt which takes a bit longer. 2012-12-31_00-05-11_75.jpg