1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 more days until i get my prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hoch, Aug 15, 2005.

1. hoch

hoch New Member

The EPA says that the prius should get 60/51 but in actuality people seem to be getting around 40s to 50s. Is this the case with other cars that read say..26/34? Will those cars get lower mpg than listed as well? Also, since I only live 2 miles from school I'm assuming I won't get the best mpg on the prius. Would this be the case with other cars too?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The short answer is yes to all of the above.

The thing to do is to compare a regular car to the Prius on that same route that you take. i.e. it's relative. You can't compare someone who gets a really good mileage from a regular vehicle on a flat terrain to someone who drives a Prius in the Himalayas (ok, I'm exaggerating but you get the point). You have to compare the vehicles on the same route.

As for your commute, it's waaay to short to get any mileage. I'd wager low 40s for the Prius.

3. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    People like to talk about their commutes being short. Short commutes are good, I also have a short commute. However do not let a short commute prevent you from purchasing a Prius. If you only drive from home to work and back, you have a pretty dull life. So, I doubt that is the case for you. You go to the store, shopping, road trips, etc. None of us just go to work and back, although it can feel that way sometimes.

Anyway, there isn't a vehicle out there which performs well in short driving situations. Your existing vehicle may get 20 for your total driving loop. However, I believe that after sufficient break in, you will get around 40 or 45 in the Prius.

Consider that EPA numbers are there for comparison purposes. This allows you to compare cars on an even level with regard to fuel economy. So, if there is a 25% discrepancy between the listed city fuel economy in the Prius and actual fuel economy, there is a pretty good chance that there will be a 25% difference or thereabout for another vehicle which the EPA lists as mid-sized.

I think you will do ok with your commute. You will do better when running errands or traveling.