1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 questions from a new Prius owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by thetoychic, Dec 27, 2006.

1. thetoychic

thetoychic New Member

I'm a rookie 07 Prius owner (pkg #3). First - I can't seem to find anyone (including the Apple iPod people) who can tell me what cable I need to attach my iPod to the the Aux connection in my storage compartment. Where do you get the cable? Second - has anyone had experience with the Weathertech cargo liner? Last - my gas mileage is in the low 50s which is great, but isn't the calculation off because it averages 99.9 mpg when you are on battery or coasting? Isn't the mpg actually infinite when you aren't using gas at all and wouldn't make the average mpg appear lower than it really is? Thanks from a Prius rookie!

2. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    it says 99 MPG but it really is 0, don't know why they put that in. Not sure about the cargo liner, but you can get an audio connection cable at best buy, basically it is a speaker cable with the same plug on each side

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, the cable has the same size plugs as the headphones. Both ends.

Be advised that a number of people have reported hum or noise if they're listening to the iPod while charging in the car. The solution is to use ground loop isolator, an inexpensive device that prevents the noise.

See this thread in the Audio and Electronics section:

http://priuschat.com/2007-AUX-in-hiss-and-...ion-t27172.html

4. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Dec 27 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]367182[/snapback]</div>
    Actually it's the inverse of 0, which is infinity.

5. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...9&CatId=453

here's the cable you need. basically its just a simple 3.5mm plug male-to-male (which means both ends are the plug and not the insert). You can probably find it cheaper than this though. I'm just showing you what it looks like.

Infinity.. Zero... I would say it's more of an undefined

6. juliem

juliem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I picked up the cable at Radio Shack; I think it costs about $5.00, and it works great. No humming or any other problems. It doesn't look as cool as an Apple-branded cable, but since its sitting inside my console, I could care less!

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have the Belkin unit plus the mini jack cable to connect ipod to aux input in console. The advantage of the Belkin is it also charges the ipod and has a built in amp. No hum yet for me.
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=149006

I also have the Weathertech cargo mat and it works and fits great. It's flexible enough if you put the back seats down to still lay flat. They also make floor mats now for the Prius which I'm thinking of getting. I have them in my truck and they are a high quality product. You might consider the black bumper guard that fits on top of the bumper. It looks good with my black Weathertech liner.

8. nwpa

nwpa New Member

The WeatherTech cargo mat was one of my first purchases. I am very pleased with it. Excellant quality and fit. It includes a none-skid surface which helps prevent things from moving around.

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Although the MFD showing "99 MPG" is technically inaccurate [since you're rolling and consuming NO GASOLINE at that moment = ∞], I prefer it showing rather than, for example, a blank display. When coasting is the only time you are consuming NO FUEL at all, if the electric motor is in use, the reserve electrical energy must be replace by - you guessed it - GASOLINE.

It's been said before - All the power in the Prius comes from consumption of Gasoline.

HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR !!

10. mrg

mrg Member

They probably are taking into consideration vaporization. Even when the gas motor is not running you are not going to get 0 useage. You will not be using it through the motor, but some gasoline will be gone over time.

11. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flareak @ Dec 27 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]367236[/snapback]</div>
    That is correct. Division by zero is undefined in mathematics. Calculus allows you to get as close to zero as you'd like and the resulting answer is an ever larger number, approaching infinity.

What the MFD is telling you is miles per gallon. If you get 5 miles on zero gallons, the infinity thing jumps in there again ( 5/0 ). But, I'm just guessing since infinity would really boost your five-minute mileage and I never see this, the Prius computer is just telling how much gas you used in a certain number of miles. Since the zero mpg can't go on forever, it gets averaged with actual gas useage.

1 mile (downhill) at 0 mpg plus 1 mile at 40 mpg (a 40th of a gallon used) averages out to 2 miles using a 40th of a gallon or 80 mpg.

If it were infinity (first leg) plus 40 (second leg), the resulting sum would be (infinity + 40) / 2, still a huge number.

Where did I go wrong here?