1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 quick beeps in a series after turning car off

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Raphell, May 17, 2023.

1. Raphell

Raphell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently bought a 2013 Prius C. When I shut the key off there are 3 quick beeps that repeat every few seconds for about 2 minutes then they stop. I thought it might mean that the 12 volt battery was low as it was the original so I replaced it. Still beeping. also every now and then when I try to start the car there will be no power whatsoever. If I push the lock/unlock buttons on the key fob a few times it will then have power and start. Any ideas?

#1 Raphell, May 17, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2023
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Does this beeping happen ONLY after you try to lock the car ?
    THAT might be the result of a door lock actuator failure and is trying to tell you that the doors are NOT locked.
    If one of them fails, the ALL will unlock.

The power problem likely is different and the most common cause of that it a loose main battery cable connection, usually at the OTHER end of the negative cable. Slamming the door might "fix" it too like the locking does.

Most likely two different problems, I think.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Nothing in the manual tied to "three beeps."

Does yours have the smart keys and pushbutton start? If so, check/replace the coin battery inside the keyfob.

Raphell likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My Gen 3 liftback uses three quick beeps to scold me if I close a door while the empty car isn't off.

5. Raphell

Raphell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The beeping happens immediately after turning the key to the off position. I think the power issue was the 12 volt battery as I replaced that last night and it had the original from 2013 in it. Still gives 3 to 4 quick beeps pause repeat abut 4 times every time after shutting off though.

It has actual keys with the lock/unlock buttons but no push button.

This happens as soon as I turn the key to the off position before I even open the door or remove the key.

Quick update. I replaced the 12 volt battery which seems to have solved my no power issue. It was the original from 2013. I am still getting the 3 maybe 4? quick beeps with a pause in a series of 4 to 5 times as soon as I turn the key to the off position. It is driving me crazy. I used my OBD scanner and there are no codes.

#5 Raphell, May 18, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2023
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    One way I can get mine to beep after turning the key back to 'off' is if I open the door before removing the key from the lock cylinder- it's warrning me not to forget the key, of course.

Even if it had an intermittent door switch I'd think that would manifest itself elsewhere, door ajar warning or the like.

If I turn off the ignition without turning off the headlights and parking lights, I get a steady beep tone. (not sure if the tones have changed in the years between yours and ours)

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Are there really NO corresponding little lights on the dashboard ??

Is EVERYTHING turned OFF, like headlights for instance ??

This might be solved with a 5 minute (or less) visit to a dealership.

Raphell likes this.
  8. Raphell

Raphell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No lights other than the usual security flashing red light. I think you are right though, I will run by a dealership and see if they have an idea. Just hoped someone else might have known and save me a trip.