1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 Struts leaking?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jsiegel, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Jsiegel

Jsiegel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We have a 2005 Prius with 62,000 miles on it. Took it in for the 60k, and the dealer (Kearny Mesa Toyota in San Diego) said that 3 of the 4 struts were leaking oil (?Shock absorbers), and the transmission seal was leaking also. They fixed the latter. The struts leak was found at 61k, just out of warranty, and the dealer quoted us over $1000 to replace all 4. I believe that they really are leaking because there are dots of oil on the floor under the corners of the car.
    Now, my wife drives this car. We have owned at least 14 cars in our 30 plus years of driving. I vaguely remember having to replace a shock absorber/strut in a '73 Civic after many mile, but that's it. I have not heard of 3 of 4 leaking at once. Before the comments come, my wife is an average driver, doesn't bottom the car out (at least not more than the other 5 cars the last 15 years driving in the same streets and driveways), so I can't believe that it is her driving.
    I have escalated this to the Toyota service line, and they promise a service "case manager" will call me tomorrow. My questions are:
    1. Has anybody heard of this problem with this car?
    2. How do you suggest I pursue the issue if Toyota does not pay for the repairs?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jonathan

2. tfrostydasnowman

tfrostydasnowman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey might not be you driving style seems like the roads in San Diego have taken a turn for the worse lately. There are quite a few parts in town where the potholes are more like sink holes, hitting those can't be good for the suspension and they are very difficult to see at night.

3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are that close to the end of the warrantee period, I would raise some stink with Toyota. I find it very odd that three have failed at the same time, unless you are pounding the car on bad roads all the time.

Icarus

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Answer No. 1: Not on a Prius, but my Subaru had 2 diagonal leaking struts at about 60,000 or so. It can happen. I replaced all 4.

Answer no. 2: Credit card or check.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it's not a common issue, DH has seen 1 or 2 of these. but not three on the same car at that mileage.

he does question it- he recommends a second opinion. not from a shop that sells struts though! (they will just agree with the first) go to another dealer if you can.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had 1 noisy strut replaced at 60,000km under warranty right after the warranty had expired due to time. It wasn't leaking.

7. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It used to be quite common for certain dealers to squirt a bit of oil on the shocks and get a repair job. All those leaks, very doubtful!! Take it home and clean the oil off and check it in a few days yourself. Are there any oil spots on the surface under where you park the car? I had a Subaru dealer that each time I took the car in tell me the water pump housing was leaking. No water on my garage floor and no need to refill. Kept the car for two more years and lost no coolant.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have been told of leaking Prius struts by a tire installer also. Sometimes, they just say things...Not too hard to confirm that on your own (as mentioned above). If you can't verify the leak, and if your Prius passes the 'bounce test' I would not be in a hurry to replace the dampers.

The KYB aftermarket units are often seem on ebay for <$200 full set. See Galaxee's posts at PC for more info. Not all DIYs are going to want to do this task. What would be a fair labor charge - 2 or 3 hours?

9. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i used to be in san diego... just graduated from UCSD... there i found a very trustworthy mechanic that you may want to try.

ask for Joey or Adam

858-831-9152.. they don't specialize in Prius but suspension is very straight forward to any other car. Their prices are very reasonable and i have sent many of my friends there.

Very reasonable and very honest... and very hard to find... give it a shot...

it may help, but tell them Roy with the "Celica Alltrac" sent you.... hopefully they remember me... maybe cut you a little deal.. don't bet on it though...

They will walk explain to you step by step what needs to be done and they stand by their quote.

10. kocho

kocho Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That must be one serious leak from all three that has developed over time, not over 1K miles.

Pays to look under the car from time to time for these things. I'd go to another dealer first (the easiest thing to do), then go fight Toyota. As I said 1K miles does not break 3 struts at the same time - this is a pre-existing condition that was just discovered now. Does it count? Don't know...

11. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why should Jsiegel fight Toyota to have them pay for the repairs? I think his dealer fixed the leaky Transmission seal (for free?) because he has factory warranty coverage on the drivetrain for 5yrs/60,000 miles, but I don't think shocks/struts are considered part of the drivetrain (probably CV shafts are). So unless he has bought an extended warranty, his bumper to bumper coverage (which would have taken care of the struts) ended at 3 yrs/36,000 miles.

I'm NOT against you at all, Jonathan, but unless you have the extended warranty, I think you'll be pay'g the bill. I would highly recommend that you follow nwprius's advice (because I've heard of that deceptive practice too), & also tochatihu's recommended "bounce test" & also galaxee's advice to get a 2nd opinion at another dealer. Patsparks' comment about getting his strut replaced under warranty at 60,000 was Km (NOT miles), so he probably just made it under the bumper to bumper warranty because, as I said earlier, I don't think struts fall under the 5-yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

I hope that it's only a false alarm, but if you do find out Kearny Mesa lied & tried to trick you, that you never go back to them. And if all 3 ARE bad, it would be very nice if they were covered & Toyota pays for everything. Good luck!!

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

12. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i see your point, but i think what everyone is saying.. the probability of strut/shocks going out at 60k is rare.. now.. the probability of 3 going out by 60k is even more rare...

so while many of us do have extended warranty and i understand where you're coming from.. his case seems to be an odd ball...

13. Jsiegel

Jsiegel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks to all for your time and suggestions. I agree with several of you and will take the car to our trusted independent repair shop also.
    For Ken, your points are all valid. In fact the warranty was 36,000 miles for these parts. I don't expect Toyota to pay for all of it. We have never asked any manufacturer to pay for something outside warranty before. It's just that after having 3 Toyota products over last 12 years (Previa, Sienna, and Prius- can you follow our kids growing up?), and being used to their quality, this was an "unusual event". I thought that they would be concerned about this event. Naive me.
    And yes, the streets in San Diego are much rougher than before, as the city is bankrupt. The Passat and Sienna (80,000 and 170,000 miles) haven't had any suspension issues on the same streets though...
    Thanks again.
    Jonathan