1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 way coolant valve (DTC P1121), covered under CA 150k mile emission warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by exstudent, Jan 28, 2014.

1. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just got the good news that the local Toyota dealership is going to cover the replacement of the 3-way coolant control valve (part # 16670-21010) under the longer California 10 year/150k mile emission warranty. 2007 Prius currently at 121,454 miles.

Makes sense since an article by lusciousgarage and feedback by our auto guru, Patrick, both essentially said the same thing: valve helps to reduce cold start emissions via the coolant storage tank (aka thermos). If its stuck in the wrong position, longer warm-up times resulting in unnecessary emissions, spells W-A-R-R-A-N-T-Y. Yeah for California's longer emission warranty.

Had I not read how a fellow California PC member had the same DTC P1121 w/ warranty coverage, I would have mistakenly done this repair myself, albeit months from now. Article link.

Happy happy joy joy; saved money (valve & SLLC coolant) and time!

cwerdna, Dino33ca and vdubstress like this.
  2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's a great deal. Had to change ours, it was covered by the warranty that came with our "CPO" Prius, but had to pay the $50 deductible. Interesting fact that needs to be exposed concerning the warranty coverage.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry to hear that. Too bad Texas doesn't have the same longer emission warranty.

Almost forgot, as an added bonus, the car's exterior will be washed. Yeah again.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The whole issue raises questions. The car we have is still covered under the hybrid warranty (less than eight years and less than 100K. The repair took place in 2012 as I recall. I have all the receipts which would show I paid the deductible.

I might call Toyota corporate and ask about this just to see what they might say. Doesn't make sense to cover it in the Carb states and not cover it in the non carb states.

I am not the only person that has had to change that part. It is a common part being replaced and a common code reported here on PC. Until just recently heard nothing about being covered under the "hybrid warranty".

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OP reported that the coolant valve failure was covered under the California emissions warranty. The Federal emissions warranty is probably applicable to Texas cars, and I believe that expires at 80K miles. Check your warranty and maintenance booklet to be sure.

6. vdubstress

vdubstress Junior Member

I asked about this at my Toyota dealer because my 07 threw a MIL and most dealers haven't updated their advisors book. But it is covered!

SPH-L710 ?

7. dtchao

dtchao Junior Member

I have this P1121 code and I live in Orange County, California. My car is 2006 Prius and mileage currently is 110,000. I called the Toyota corporate number - 800-331-4331 and they told me P1121 is not covered by the California Emission Warranty. I am frustrated by though their friendly attitude yet still not be willing to cover this repair. What is the next step that I can push this issue if it should be covered, anyone has any suggestion for me? Thanks.

David

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! try a dealer? maybe pm exstudent and ask what dealer covered it. all the best.(y)

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Dave,

Check your coolant level. The valve can stick if there is a lack of coolant as it lubricates the valve. Sometimes adding coolant can free up the valve.

JeffD

SFO likes this.
  10. lucasanderson298999

lucasanderson298999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hello, I need to fix this issue too. I live in L.A. which dealership fixed yours? Please, please let me know. Shop was charging me $500

#10 lucasanderson298999, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I told the service ticket writer that I have Techstream, and it was giving me the DTC of P1121 (3-way coolant control valve). And that this should be covered under the 10yr/150K mile Emission Warranty.

I am assuming the mechanic would need to verify the DTC. And that the dealership would need to verify that Toyota will pay for the repair. If Toyota says no, I would be on the hook for the $99 "diagnostic" fee.

You are at the mercy of the dealership (how much effort will they exert to get warranty coverage on a subjective part, as it is not listed as a covered part), and Toyota (the person taking the claim may or may not feel generous).

I got mine covered at Hooman Toyota in Long Beach.

I am aware of two other people getting Emission Warranty coverage at Longo Toyota in El Monte, and Tustin Toyota in Tustin.

If they don't cover it, and you are somewhat mechanically adept, the repair is cheap. $75 part for a genuine Toyota OEM 3-way coolant control valve (part #: 16670-21010). 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping
    $60-$75 SLLC ($20/gallon x 3, for a engine and inverter drain/fill; call different dealers to see their price).
    $2-$3 (1 crush washers on the transaxle).

Good luck.

SFO likes this.
  12. lucasanderson298999

lucasanderson298999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks! I got your message.