1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 Weeks old and I just found 2 paint chips on hood

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by freshmtt, May 13, 2008.

1. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

OK, I am really upset now, I just finished washing and waxing my car. As soon as I started washing the hood I immediately found 2 small paint chips already!! The car is only 3 weeks old!!!

I washed it just a few days ago, and those little chips were NOT there. So it just happened within the past 3 days.

I ended up canceling my order for the Colgan Bra because someone here said it did not fit their Prius very well at all and they were very disappointed..

Now I am strongly reconsidering getting a Bra, but I don't know which one to go with, I think Jim said the Toyota brand also is a very tight fit on the newer hoods.

That leaves the LeBra brand and what other ones are out there????

Someone also said that the 3M clear coat Bra gets yellow after a while and it ends up looking awful on the car, I'm not sure who mentioned that, but I remember seeing it someplace here.

For right now, I put some heavy coats of Spray wax on the hood until I can figure out what to do..

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since your exterior paint is a brownish color, I don't think that discoloration of the clear bra would be noticeable. Maybe it would be an issue with a white finish. Good luck with your decision.

3. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Super White 2006 Prius is my third Toyota, after my 2003 Tacoma (white) and along with my current 2006 Tacoma PreRunner, also white. I also have two small chips on the Prius' hood which were easily taken care of with a dab of touch-up paint. But I noticed that the paint on the Prius seemed awfully thin, not the "ceramic-like" paint that was on the 2003 truck, and is on the 2006 truck. Mom has a gold colored Corolla, and the paint seems very thick on that, also. Just my opinion.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's not the hood piece that is extra snug, it's the bumper piece. That's due to a small air dam Toyota added at the bottom of the bumper beginning with the 2006 model year. The Prius hood hasn't changed, so the hood piece should fit fine. So if you're looking to protect only the front-most part of the hood and not the bumper, the Toyota bra will work. That piece is easy to apply and remove. You have to buy the set, though, and of course you might not like the look of a hood-only bra.

5. freshmtt

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmm, maybe I should just buy the set and put on the hood cover, it seems as if the bumper is more plastic am I correct?? And the hood is metal?

I would be more concerned with protecting the hood than worrying about cleaning the bumper area. It seems to me like the bumper area is almost a plastic type of material that if paint chips appear I would not have to worry about rust??

What exactly is the bumper area made of,, It does not seem to be metal like the hood.

Jim, How much was the Toyota brand Bra??

Do you know of any other brands besides the LeBra, Toyota brand and Colgan??

6. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The bumper is plastic painted to match the car. The hood is aluminum so it will not rust. It is more about protecting the looks of your new car.

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wax of any sort will not protect you from paint chips. The waterbased paint Toyota uses seems to chip easily until it has some time to cure.

I have had the 3M film on my last 4 cars and have not seen any yellowing. I put it on my hood over 4 years ago and it stopped the chipping problem.

The bumper is made of plastic and is more resilient than the aluminum hood and less prone to chipping.

8. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got mine from Metro, current price for the set $115. I don't know of other brands, though I really haven't looked around.

To be honest, if I had had a little more money for discretionary spending at the time, I would have gotten the clear bra. The vinyl bra was a tradeoff: a little less satisfactory (though it still has done its job), but at about 20% of what the clear bra would cost. Now, as you know from my thread, I'm doing much less highway driving. So for the time being, I'm keeping the bra off, putting it back on only for extended highway travel.

9. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can understand wanting to protect the painted finish on the hood but to me, all hood accesories to deflect stones detract from the looks of the car. They are all ugly in my humble opinion. I'd sooner touch up a few chips than put something ugly on the front of my prius that I have to look at everyday. I say stop worrying and enjoy the car. Nothing lasts forever. It reminds me of people covering their sofa to keep it looking new and maybe appreciating the beauty on those special occassions when they have company. Even worse, I remember the plastic clear seat covers on my dad's chrysler which we had to endure every day so that he could trade the car with an interior in mint condition for someone else to enjoy. Life is too short. It's just a car - not your first and not your last. A few chips will not diminish the looks of your prius as much as an ugly aftermarket hood protector. Nothing last forever... no thing. I know I'm going to get flamed for this post but that's what I think.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My vote is for the VentureShield clear bra. Since I don't know how high your chips are ask the installer about covering the entire hood. I just returned from a trip to Pittsburgh. Coming home I noticed something crossed my front bumper as the left corner is scuffed (hopefully just dirty) and I have a horizontal gash a few inches long that looks like a line of tree sap but no damage to the bumper.

By the way is there a major highway in PA not under construction? The Turnpike, I-79, I-376, and US22 were torn up.

11. ryanj023

ryanj023 You Mad?

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    couldn't dissagree with sas0601 much more.

get the 3m bra, bruh. worth the money twice over, IMO. got mine on two weeks ago and it looks great and gives me peace of mind.

nothing lasts forever, but that argument doesn't hold weight to me. i mean, you could buy a new shirt and wear it till it gets dirty then throw it out, or you could dry-clean it and keep it fresh and you'll stay looking fresh for a long time.

you dig?

MO of course!

12. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    back in 1987 my local toyota dealer would fix paint problems before 1000 miles or something, not anymore, sigh

i had a chip too in the first couple weeks of getting the car, and found out toyota wont do it anymore, they gave me a bottle of touch up tho

13. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    wit til it gets to bad for touch ups and get the hood repainted

14. Nords

Nords Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe, but I'm the other guy in the world who agrees with you.

My car gets washed twice a year-- Father's Day & my birthday. When you keep them for over a decade and drive them into the ground, the absence of a weekly washing doesn't make much difference in the resale value.

The time I've saved for doing other things-- priceless!

15. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Buy the OEM Touch-up paint to cover up the chips first, then get whatever bra you'd like for protection. I also endorse the Clear Bra (from reputatable company)....it's best accessory invented for debris protection but less instrusive to the look.

16. freshmtt

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How many different companies sell a clear bra,

I looked on autoanything last night and saw over 900 reviews on the LeBra hood cover and I looked for all the ones for new 08 Prius, I found 4 reviews from Prius owners and out of the 4 or 5 I read, 2 of them were not happy with the LeBra due to difficulty getting it on, but the rest said it went on very easily and looks great.

I happend to like the look of the Bra on the front of the car, and don't really care for the look of the plastic hood deflector.

So, I guess it is all just a matter of personal choice.

The 3M clear bra is a bit expensive for my budget right now, so I might end up getting some of the touch up paint from Toyota and go for the LeBra and if I end up not liking the Bra I will either sell it or return it to Autoanything.

At this point, I am very anal about paint chips on the hood of the car and I was just so upset when I saw them yesterday. Although, I am thinking old school when the hoods were metal and you had to worry about chipped paint leading to rust on the cars. But since you said the hood was Aluminum and it would not rust, that made me feel a bit better, but not that much better. Cause I will see these chips every time I wash the car which is about 2 times a week already..

If I could find the Clear Bra cheaper I would probably go for that, but I do like the look of the Black Bra as well.

Thanks for all the input!!!!

17. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    they make car bras in a spray can now!

18. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone had any of the clear bras on for more that a couple of years. If so, is there any problems with the painted surfaces which it intended to protect when it is removed ?

I saw a you tube video on applying the 3m product. The guy had a spray bottle and sprayed water on to the surface of the plastic that contacts the car. The water was then squeegied out from between the two surfaces (the plastic and the hood) with a sponge. What about any moisture left trapped ? It did seem to make the job go a lot easier and looked like it provided good results (the water that is). I think I be obcessing about what 3 years of sun would do to the paint baking under that plastic. My foyer in my house is wood. The floor under the throw rug is about 5 shades darker than the rest of the floor just because it received less UV radiation for the past 5 years. I now need to refinish the whole foyer.

19. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    could always get a hood deflector until you decide what to do long term..

[​IMG]

20. freshmtt

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    that is a thought, tell me, is it hard to wash around it?? Do you use anything special to get down in the area between the hood and the deflector to wash that part of the hood?