1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 Year/50k mile summary

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, Oct 3, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've kept careful track of my FE since getting my Prius. The full details can be seen by clicking the link to Greenhybrid.com in my signature.

Lifetime(3 years): 50,468 miles/950 gallons = 53.1 LMPG
    Year 3: 19,250 miles/356 gallons = 54.1 MPG
    Year 2: 18,294 miles/338 gallons = 54.1 MPG
    Year 1: 12,924 miles/256 gallons = 52.9 MPG

Low month year 3: Feb. 2006-- 49.4 mpg (lots of long distance cold weather freeway driving the month my mother-in-law died commuting to her home and back several times)

High month year 3: June 2006-- 59.8 mpg *Also lifetime high

Low month lifetime: Dec. '03 (year 1)-- 43.1 mpg

Of note, I think it's also telling how I've got more miles each successive year of ownership. I'm no further from work (same house and job), it's just that the Prius has become the 'go to' vehicle for travel. We used to think we needed to take our minivan (now a Highlander Hybrid has replaced that) on any 'family trips'. But we've found that the Prius is just about as comfortable and has adequate room for all our 'junk'.

I'm also a little suprised that my year 3 mpg is exactly the same as my year 2 mpg...I really felt like I was driving better. In fact most tanks have, indeed, been better than year two (I haven't looked at the medians formally), but we've also used it on more long distance/freeway trips and I think that's balanced the bettery commuting mileage I'm seeing these days.

Other than needing the MFD replaced there've been no mechanical problems at all...I have had all warranty work done.

2. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 3 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]327425[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for all this detail, which I find most interesting.

For the benefit of us foreigners 54.1 mpg (US) translates to 65 mpg (UK gallon) or 4.35 litres/100kms.

As one who gets much less on average because most of my trips are shorter than 5 miles with a cold engine, I find your figures encouraging.

3. jmccord

jmccord New Member

Great post Doc.
    Thanks for the info.
    I hope I do as well with my '06.
    The Prius is indeed a "go to vehicle".
    Enjoy the next 50K! :p

Oh, and did I say, I love this car!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At $2.00/gallon that's $1900 I've spent on gas.
    In my Expedition I was getting 12mpg, I would have spent $8400 on gas in that for the same distance.

Even a true/real life 30mpg vehicle would have been almost $1500 more on gas.

Not that the money is a major factor for me. But in the Expedition I would have burned/consumed/used/polluted with 5 times as much gas. Those things ARE factors for me.