1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 years, 28k and frozen brakes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ATHiker, Jun 8, 2013.

1. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I am at the dealer now with 2010 Prius -- just out of warranty. Just 28,000 miles.

Both rear brake calipers, pads and and rotors are being replaced. The outside pads on both rear calipers were completely worn, making screeching sounds. This was because the calipers failed -- locked.

Does this make sense?

I could understand if one caliper failed, but both failing at the same time seems odd.

Should this $500 repair have been anticipated?

Attached Files:

JMD likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it. first, $500. sounds cheap for what they are doing. second, anticipated by who? sounds like something was defective. e brake too tight? someone who lived in heavy snow and salt area had severe brake problems early on in another thread. i would call toyota and see if they will do anything for you. sometimes when you are just out of warranty, they will cover it, or at least a percentage. these cars have very few brake problems. all the best!(y)

3. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for the reply.

Anyway, after installation of new calipers, pads and rotors I drove home from the dealership only to smell brake pad. Naturally I decided to touch the associate d rotor with a was hot.

Not a great move, at the blister will attest.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hmm... seems they fixed the symptom, not the cause. i know very little about brakes, especially prius, but i wonder if some electronic/hydraulic part could be creating pressure on the rear calipers?

JMD likes this.
  5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bring I back to the dealer immediately. You should smell nothing and no heat.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when they put it up on the lift, see how much friction there is when you spin the tyre, if they'll let you into the shoppe.

JMD likes this.
  7. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My wife has the car at the shop, now.

After telling her there was no problem as the wheel & rotor was cool to the touch when she arrived at the dealership she insisted they investigate further.

They did.

When they came back, she was informed that something had slipped off-- some reference to a nipple -- but that the dealer could glue it back on.

That's did not sit well with my wife who thought the parts in question should be replaced.

Not sure how this will turn out,as the dealer told her if they replaced the parts rather than gluing what they had, there would be a charge.

Of none of this has anything todo with root cause of the original failure in the first place.

8. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would continue to monitor it. I would bring the car back to the deaer in 5K miles and have them check the pads for wear. Also see if the brake pad smell is still evident. If they are OK than looks like your problem is behind you. If it's worn down you may have more fixin to accomplish.

9. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    at 28k how did you run out of warranty, from the repairs they should be looking at bad parts. I'm at 40k in 18 months and my brakes are fine, due for new pads by the end of summer. I would be saying something. also looking at the emergency brake setup, it may no be fully disengaging.

JMD likes this.
  10. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Warranty ran out at 3 years. The plan is to take this up with Toyota, and dealer rep. Not sure how successful we will be.

Dealer is sympathetic, but I know where that word is found in the dictionary. They offered to look at repair in a couple months. That was a good idea.

11. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I only have 11,000 miles on my car. When I brought the car in for the 5,000 and 10,000 mile service they told me the pad wear. 11 MM. At 3 MM time to replace em

Stuff happens.