1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3+ Years Later, PiP Still The Best For This Guy

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iplug, Jul 26, 2015.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    On every summer road trip, I’m reminded why I love this car so much.

Last year it was 65 MPG round trip to Yosemite, full car with family, 505 miles on one tank of gas with 2 bars left. No opportunities to recharge, so only charge was the near full charge from the start of that trip.

Here is our just completed round trip to Santa Cruz:

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Again, a full family car of four and hatch loaded with our stuff. We ran the AC continuously there and back, parked the car at our destination, and walked everywhere else we wanted to from there around the boardwalk.

If we really wanted to hunt down a place to charge, we could have, but it wasn't convenient, so the car only got the one charge it had when it started the trip.

360 miles round trip, 59 MPG. Apparently the “AVG” speed is measured even while the car is sitting and waiting (it dropped from 50 to 49 just waiting to get my camera out to take this picture). We kept up with at least the posted speed limits :whistle: and there were a small number of traffic slowdowns.

As the Top 20 MPGe thread shows, I am no hyper-miler. So it's crazy that there is still no other PHEV/BEV that can pull off these numbers. Had I the money to buy my dream Tesla, it wouldn’t have had enough range for this trip without a recharge.

Looking forward to seeing how the PiP 2 can improve on this already crazy good efficiency.

el Crucero, markabele, giora and 2 others like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, the first gen PiP may have low AER but it is still a Prius at heart and thus the most efficient vehicle in either form. Those are great numbers!

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Same ownership experience. I think the EV efficiency of PiP is not discussed enough. All that is discussed is range but not efficiency.

iplug and Tideland Prius like this.
  4. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I am in the market for a Prius plug in.

That said, is the Prius plug in worth the *premium price* over the regular Prius for someone who uses the car for commuting from home to work (about 12 miles round trip or up to 18 if I include grocery shopping), with likely no road trips (I don't get vacation from work - sad, I know).

Second question: let's say I want to try using a Prius for Uber (or similar), will the Prius plug in or regular Prius matter?

Access to a plug will be limited for me. I live in a apartment and I would have to look for an electrical outlet in the work garage or one of those pay services like blink or similar.

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows the answer. (... May be this would better started as a new thread?)

#4 sillylilwabbit, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  5. aljudy

aljudy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My opinion is that since it's so difficult for you to charge each night, a PiP is not for you. If you see a move to a new place where you can charge at least once each day, then I would not buy a PiP.

el Crucero likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there wouldn't be much point to a pip in your situation, unless you need an hov sticker.

to the o/p, 100% agree, i still get a charge out of mine everyday!(y)

iplug likes this.
  7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like he may want an HOV sticker. If you drive for Uber or Lyft a lot then a PiP might be good for you. While you are sitting and waiting for passenger requests you could wait at a free level 2 charger somewhere.

iplug and bisco like this.
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^ditto HOV is a major advantage of PiP in Ca. if you're thinking Uber

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Next Gen PHV --> AER vs. MPG? | PriusChat

As I mentioned in the "Side Note" in the OP of the thread above, what about electric efficiency? The Model S is a great car but it's just like saying "the Suburban has the same tank range as a Camry Hybrid - Both can do over 1,100km/625 miles to the tank", ignoring the fact that the Suburban has a 117 litre/30.9 gal tank and the Camry Hybrid has 64 litre/16.9 gal tank. (Using 10.1L/100km highway mileage on the Suburban 2WD and 5.7L/100km on the Camry Hybrid).

What Tesla is doing isn't wrong cause at least it's getting attention and people that normally would've have bought an EV, have bought an EV and are loving it.

usbseawolf2000 and iplug like this.