1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

30,000 Service: What's Really Needed?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mauricefrank, Jul 2, 2005.

1. mauricefrank

mauricefrank New Member

Hello,

My 2004 now has 30,000 miles. I took it to the dealer where I get my oil changed and when I said it has 30,000 miles the service rep quoted me a price of about $340 for a long list of things. I had checked the Scheduled Maintenance Guide before I went there and other than changing the engine and cabin air filters, it did not list anything else to change. The SM Guide does list a number of things to inspect.

The service rep pointed to his computer and told me this is what Toyota recommends, but these guys also still suggest changing the oil every 3000 miles, so I am wary of them.

I already changed the engine oil filter at 25,000 miles, and I will change the wiper blades (saw John1701's document) and the cabin air filter myself.

What else really must be done, and is over $300 a reasonable cost?

I want to take good care of my Prius, but I do not want to be ripped off.

Thanks for your advice.

Maurice Frank

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only thing it needs is an oil and filter change. I assume you ment change air filter at 25k. I assume you change the oil filter at every oil change. My prius has 40k on it and i just change the oil at 5k check and replace the air and cabin filters as needed and rotate the tires as needed. Not much else to do ecept the usual visual inspection of things. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Air filters are required to be changed at 30K, not 25K, but you can change them sooner if you feel they need changing.

I'd go over the passport with your dealer, or even Toyota's website, and compare that with what the dealer claims. Have them explain/justify any discrepencies.

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/pdfs/..._service_04.pdf

4. shocker

shocker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the going rate for a 30,000 mile check-up?

5. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Remember, this is not a conventional car.

You only need Oil/Filter change. And Air/cabin filter change. Probably tire rotation if you want those crappy OEM tires to last longer. That is it. Less than a hundred bucks maybe? If they charge you 340 bucks... RUN!!!!

There is no such thing as tranny fluid change on the Prius. The Radiator fluid is good for 100k. Thermo fluid good for 100k. Spark plugs are good for at least 100k too.

What they are quoting you is 30k service for a conventional car. :pukeright:

6. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Change
    -Oil/Filter
    -Air intake filter
    -Cabin filter
    -Tire rotation & balance

Check
    -All fluids levels
    -Brake pads & remaining life
    -Wheel aligment

It may not hurt to drop a bottle of TECHRON into your tank.

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I located a NAPA air filter (that I had to cut to fit) several thousand miles ago, so now that I'm nearing 32,000 miles and another oil change, I guess it's my last one under warranty. However, I doubt I'll let the dealer see it since they have a poor track record of doing things right...

8. heavenleigh

heavenleigh New Member

I know this thread is old, but I am about to hit 30,000 (I bought my '04 used about 2,000 miles ago). I called to set up my 30,000 mile appointment, and he quoted me $495 to do the following:

1.) change oil/filter (duh)
    2.) change transmission fluid
    3.) change coolant (Wth?)
    4.) inspect charging system
    5.) inspect electrical system
    6.) replace bcb valve (what is this?)
    7.) re-torque the drive shaft (again ???)
    8.) inspect the brakes
    9.) add some type of break grease

(maybe a few other things, I was writing fast as he was reciting...)

and then he asked me what kind of car I drove...

Needless to say, I already know this is a crock and I plan on having only the "real" scheduled maintenance done (oil, filter, engine air filter, cabin air filter), tires rotated (shockingly not included in the above), and maybe a brake inspection (although that ran me $66 alone on my old car, and I don't think it'll reveal too much on this car).

Is there anything else major you guys would recommend at 30,000?

Is scheduled maintenance really valuable? Its not like it will keep a part from breaking, just maybe scare you into spending the money earlier...I've always been much more lax about actively looking for problems, but I'm trying to be good with the Prius.

What is a bcb valve?

(I'm also planning on getting the new recall for the ECU and axle grease, my VIN is included).

Last question, I promise, does anyone in the DC/MD area have a more trusted Toyota dealer? I was going to go to Jim Coleman (in Bethesda), but they are already trying to cheat me and I'm not even there yet (and they don't sound too knowledgable about the Prius).

Thanks, of course!

--
    Hillary

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No BCB valve, perhaps PCV valve? Positive Crankcase Ventilation, I'd check the valve every 30,000 miles or so (make sure it still rattles), then replace it every 60K or so with a new one, they aren't that expensive, less than $10 and aren't THAT difficult to change.

The only items you need to perform at 30,000 miles is an oil/filter change, tire rotation, and a new air filter. I still suggest changing the ATF at 30,000 miles ($42/gal for the fluid, Prius takes one gallon), even though its considered lifetime fill. It is slightly challenging to do, and requres a fluid pump. Jayman could probably help as he has done this before. Otherwise, if you don't plan on the DIY ATF Change, I'd factor in $30+ for labor to have a mechanic do it.

Michael

10. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    most brake places (Midas, etc.) will happily put your car up and give you a brake inspection for free.

rpm

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Where is that PCV valve anyway? Anyone have a clear pic?

Coolant is probably best not touched on the Prius if it doesn't need it, especially in the inverter circuit. It is very complex to change it. For the inverter, you must be certain it is properly purged or else you may burn out the inverter. The ICE circuit includes the heat storage and the heater core, both operating on electric pumps. There's also a servo valve that controls the direction of coolant flow. I am glad it only needs to be changed at the first 100K.

I personally plan on having the ATF changed at 60K, and I have a repair place or two I would trust to do it without overcharging. It really isn't any harder than on a manual transmission.