1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

30 available at carmax

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by taggart, Jul 14, 2008.

1. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just looked at the Carmax website. 30 available. Most are 07.

2. bigrichard

bigrichard New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yeah, but look at the price they have on them.

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    CarMax is on my black list. Here is why...

On their website, they claim to buy used vehicles at whole sale price of kbb.com between "fair" to "good" condition. So I waited for 6 months for my nearest CarMax to open to sell them my '98 BMW 540 (mint condition). A couple weeks before, I was offered $9500 to which I refused since, according to kbb.com, the whole sales price of my 540 is worth about $10.5K to $11.5K. So I expected CarMax to give me at least $10K.
    On the opening day of my nearest CarMax, I went in and the young appariser praised my 540 for its great condition and eventually offered me $6500 with a nice smile. I almost jumped up and left. I drove 70 miles to get there, for God's sake.

Anyway, I sent an e-mail to them asking them to revised their website. It is mis-representing. If they can't deliver their promise, don't say so on the Website.

Eventually I sold my 540 privately at $9500.
    End venting.

4. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My only experience with Carmax was purchasing an '04 Celica. Had it transferred from Florida. Exactly as advertised and in immaculate condition. So far so good with the car. Experience was relaxed and comfortable. I've never tried to sell one to them, however.

5. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looks like Carmax just bought an entire fleet of used Rental cars. Every one that I clicked on to review the info shows their prior use as a rental. They probably bought them all from the same place.

Prices are way to high!!!!, I'm one of those that would never pay more for a used car than what a new one is going for, no matter how much I wanted it. But like I said in another post, there will be lots of people that will pay those high prices just to say they got one, and will probably end up lying about how much they paid for it cause they would be embarrassed to let anyone know they paid that much for a used car.

I guess the only person that could really benefit from paying so much for a used Prius is someone that is already driving around an 8cyl monstrosity like a Hummer or Jeep models that are probably soaking a couple hundred bucks a month into their gas guzzlers.

6. ravenmaniac

ravenmaniac Senior Executive VP of Nothing

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    28k for a used Prius.....weird! Supply & demand, I guess.

7. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "I guess the only person that could really benefit from paying so much for a used Prius is someone that is already driving around an 8cyl monstrosity like a Hummer or Jeep models that are probably soaking a couple hundred bucks a month into their gas guzzlers."

Michelle, In March I got rid of a 2005 Ford Expedition that got around 15mpg supposedly. I would spend around 4 to 600 a month going less than 1500 miles. Hummers are worse than that at real world 10mpg.

So they probably spend 800 a month to go 1000 miles a month!

8. bigrichard

bigrichard New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I see today Carmax has 33. They seem to me multiplying instead of selling them.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are no Prii within 25 miles of me. The closest is in Omaha.