1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

300+ miles and first rattling noise this morning.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Lottamoxie, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This morning whilst backing out of my driveway and starting to drive down the street, I noticed the rather loud noise coming from the hatch area. Kind of like someone was crinkling some cellophane loudly. The sound continued the entire commute to work (6.5 mi). The sound would stop only when I was stopped.

I have not yet investigated what this sound might be or where it is coming from, but it was definitely coming from the hatch area in general and sounded internal in the car (as opposed to something caught on a wheel).

It was cold this morning...about 30 degrees. Have driven the car every other morning with it equally cold, but today is the first time I noticed a sound.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this makes you an official member of the gen III club! congratulations!

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Most of the rattles reported on here that I have read have been in the front dash or front seat areas. I do not remember reading any in the hatch area. Any chance that you are carrying something in the storage tray under the cargo area?

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL.

Seriously, I have developed a similar rattle as well about a week ago although mine is more of a metal ting. I figure it will go away when it warms up... say in April sometime.

5. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm assuming you checked under the hatch decklid making sure the spare and everything is secure? Also, pop open the left side storage area and make sure nothing there. I'm sure you've done this stuff already.

Like the OP, I've only had front dash noises and hope those will go away once we get into some good Carolina springtime warmer weather!

Happy Motoring,

Tom

6. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As I said in my original post, I have NOT yet checked the cargo area under the hatch and yes, I do have something in there, but today is the first time I heard a noise.

I haven't had an opportunity yet to check. I literally got in the car and drove to work, got out and went to my office. Along the way I heard the noise.

Let's cross our fingers and hope it's something loose in the cargo area and not the dreaded tailgate or hatch rattle.

I realllllly could have lived without becoming an "official" member of the G3 club, ya know?

8. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Cold weather, hard plastics, stiff suspension. Unfortunately you will have rattles in your Prius. My other two cars have nowhere near the amount of rattles and creaks.

9. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well some good news so far.

Took out the couple items that were in the cargo hold area and made sure the cargo locks were engaged (one wasn't). Pulled back the tonneau cover too. Drove home for lunch and no rattling from the hatch area!

Next I'll close the tonneau cover again and see what happens.

So (fingers crossed) it was just something rattling around that I fixed by moving/removing.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my 04 and 08 have no rattles at all. can't imagine what they did to cause so many in the gen III.:(

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's it, you're officially unofficial again.:D

12. taylorgso

taylorgso taylorgso

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I started noticing rattles from the passenger side area almost as soon as I drove the car home from the dealer. Was afraid I was victim of the dreaded glove box rattle I had read about! Turns out that almost anything I put in the glove box seemed to rattle. I lined both glove boxes with felt (purchase at hobby/craft store), and now I NEVER hear any noise from that area.

13. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My '06 does not rattle, although it kind of squeaks a bit if I rest my elbow on the driver's window sill in warmer weather.

14. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My 2010 creaks when I put my elbow on the armrest :(

I feel a trip to the dealership in my future...

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh my goodness, I'm a bit disappointed to read about the GIII and its rattles. I sure hope that more development goes into silencing some of them. My old 2006 GII seemed tight, even with a lowered suspension and lower profile tires aired up to 48psi. The top of the dash did vibrate up and down, but didn't make any noise while doing so.

Yes, mine did the same thing, almost from day one. And it seemed to be present only on the driver's side, go figure.

That is a really annoying sound, especially in a car that's relatively smooth and quiet like the Prius.

16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine squeaks from the hatch in very cold weather but it never bothers me since I blast the radio or iPod.

17. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been in beds that make the same sound!:D

18. Slovewell

Slovewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 10 rattles, when it is cold, near the rear view mirror. I have grabbed the mirror and head liner but it doesn't stop until the car warms up. I, also, have the occasional glove box rattle but opening the glove box and then closing it seems to stop it. I guess that is what the volume knob is for on the radio. Yea, I am an official member now.