1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

300 million dollar lotto winner in NY. What would you give up unlimited money?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Mar 28, 2011.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Let's play a hypothetical exercise? For the mega lotto winnings or whatever money amount you can name, would you give up...
    1.Your children's ambition? In other words, would you take the winnings if it meant that your children would not be allowed to work in any productive meaningful way for the rest of their lives. They could spend money, watch movies, take vacations, but they couldn't do anything productive. Nor could they give money away as charity.
    2. The ability to exercise. You can win a trillion dollars, but you can never exercise again. Treadmill? Gone. Biking? Gone. Want to climb a mountain? You can hire sherpas to carry you, but you can't walk it your self. Want to walk around the block? You can drive your tricked out prius, but your not allowed to walk.
    3. The right to give charitably. Pocket 10 billion dollars? It's yours. You just can't ever give any of it away. If you decide to work and make some extra cash, you can't give that away either. Those are the terms. Deal?

I know these are silly impossible scenarios, but would you do it?

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. If I couldn't do something useful with it, 300 million would be wasted on me, let alone 10 billion.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What about loopholes around these? #1 isn't really a constraint if you don't have children. What about adopted children? #2 would be an impossible constraint for me... I just like being active too much. #3 isn't necessarily a draw back... not all charity is money donations. Since you'd be self sufficient, you could instead spend your time working with charities (food banks, meals on wheels, habitat for humanity, whatever is available in your area) in an area where man power is more rare than financial backing.

4. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The human capacity to rationalize anything would render all scenarios moot in that with those kinds of funds some workaround could be arranged. And what would be the enforcing mechanism anyway? How would you enforce your children not doing certain things? Impossible.

It sounds like you're trying to plumb resistance to sloth & greed: how much would it take for you to abandon conscientiousness. I think for most of us the question isn't how much but how little. We commit incalculable mischief for trifling rewards.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Considering that the scenario I'm presenting is just a mental exercise, let's just assume all loopholes will be closed. To get the money, you have to sell the parts of you(or your children) that don't necessarily have any concrete price tag, but does make one human.

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What about the real effects. You would be giving up:

1) Freedom from Con Men (and Women). There are a whole lot of experts at separating a lottery winner from their winnings.

2) You present friends. They will either want in on it or decide that you now belong to a different crowd.

3) Your present problems will not go away. Have an addiction....be prepared for it to get a lot worse. You get the idea.

These alone are good enough for me not to pursue any lottery.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With both unlimited time and unlimited money, how could you *not* develop an addiction - or several? Combine this with zero responsibility, and you get Hollywood. ;)

No, wait. That's a different scenario. I'd put the first couple of million away for a rainy day, but the rest goes into doing something worthwhile.

8. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    1) I have no kids so no problem.
    2) Can't do most of those things now so sure why not?
    3) I ain't living forever so in the end I'd just will it away without the stipulations, or if I can't do that there are many ways around this charity stipulation. Such as buying huge tracts of land and opening them up to the public or investment into all sorts of useful endeavors that aren't charitable but benefit mankind.

I'm good to go. :thumb:

Besides with that much money I'd tie the dingbat that thought this up in court forever disputing those stupid precondition's. I'd own you burritos you'd give up eventually cause I'd have more money than you! :pound: Barring that I'd take the opposite and let friends and charites sue me and just pay them off. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

p.s. jumped the gun and didn't read ahead eagle beat me to most of these. :nod:

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Much more concise description of the fate that awaits.

I'm not sure about that. Those millions are just like potato chips, nobody can consume just one.....

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The list would include paying off the mortgage, hiring somebody to finish the house and yard, a tropical vacation, a really fancy bicycle, nicer camping equipment, and a cozy little sailboat. That's about half a million so far. The rest of the 'couple million for me' would be retirement money. Apt analogy in my case - I don't eat potato chips. :D

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. No kids, no problems.
    2. This is the nasty one, as it is an early death sentence.
    3. Where does this deal draw the line between charity vs. targeted economic stimulus?

12. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I want kids and i want them to learn the value of a dollar so I can't give up #1. #2, hmmm who would want to be a millionaire vegetable? #3 sounds more feasible due to its built in loophole. Give up the right to give charitably is not the same as spending unwisely. Acquiring a very unprofitable business can quickly drain one's wealth, look at CompUSA. They bought The Good Guys for 58 million dollars and ran it to the ground.

13. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let me reword the question to make it more interesting.

Would you accept $300 million dollars under these conditions:

1) You could never listen to Michael Bolton again.
    2) You are not allowed to ever watch a VHS tape of The Love Boat.
    3) You are explicitly forbidden from being kicked in the groin for the rest of your life.
    4) You are forbidden from knowingly using Windows Vista.

Would you accept the money under those conditions?

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohhh, that's a tough question. I don't know Stev0, I'll have to think about it.

Hmmm....OK. ;)

15. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    3. You can spend money for any material thing your heart desires. If you spend money for the ulterior and sole motive of improving the economic conditions of the vendors and local economies, then this would be considered charity and not permitted in this hypothetical agreement.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mean NOT permitted?

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would take option #3 and then run for office under the title "None of the Above"

[​IMG]

18. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks. You're right.

I guess thet point of the thread stems from all the grumbling I hear from people, when they envy people who win the lotto. Well, we have so many things, including simple and mundane things like the ability to exercise which I think are far more valuable than a pile of money. I guess if I were dirt poor, my opinion would be wildly different. But I'm kind of annoyed by the publicity the lotto gets when most of us are way more wealthy than the winning the mega lotto would ever give us.