1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

300 MPGs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by asjoseph, Oct 5, 2008.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think this is probably going to be my next car:

Aptera

Hybrid under US$30K. Chrome molly fuselage, no less. Registers as a motorcycle so... no stickers necessary (e.g., unconditionally qualifies for solo driver HOV lane access).

Nice compliment to the Prius.

Regards,
    - Samuel, '04 Prius

2. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    need to get external speakers that make the Jetson's sound effects when you drive that thing though! :D

3. dropkin

dropkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did I see this at Disney world? It's a nice concept as a commuter car, but the fact of the matter is that a Prius makes a fine family car (we took a week long trip for 4 with all the luggage and gear without any problem) and this thing looks like putting a gallon of milk in the trunk mya be an issue, unless it was a gallon in the shape of a surf board! Yeah, it's got a long trunk, but how high? I'd like to see some suitcases in there.

4. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think this is designed as a commuter car. Most of the miles that I drive I could do in this car. Isnt it supposed to come out this year, I haven't heard much about that though.

edit: I guess they are starting projection this year. So probably wont be released for a while.

5. PRIvUS

PRIvUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    300mpg thats really impressive but it doesn't look that quit attractive.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I do think the Aptera is intended as a commuter car, not a replacement for the family sedan. Most American families have more than one car nowadays, but have no need for more than one road-trip car. With its three seats, the Aptera works for taking a couple of kids to school or activities, and it has plenty of cargo space for serious grocery shopping. But nobody who actually needs a Prius would be looking at an Aptera instead. I'd have bought an Aptera instead of my Xebra, but of course the Aptera is not yet available, and I've been driving my Xebra for a year and a half. No EV will replace my Prius until there's fast roadside charging. But the Xebra replaces the Prius 27 days out of 30, and a freeway-capable EV would relegate the Prius to road trips.

7. mrg

mrg Member

It sounds like it would be much more safe than a 2 wheel motorcycle. However it isn't available in my area, yet. ZAP (the Xebra folks) are suppose to have a 3 wheel car coming out also in that price range. Interesting.:cool:

8. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean the Alias. Good for a sports car style. My preference is the Triac at $23K (supposedly, I don't think they're shipping yet) from Green Vehicles. Again, a bit unique style, but not (quite) as unique as the Aptera.

But in reality, my commute isn't long enough to even justify an electric vehicle, I'm still looking for a good enclosed bicycle (velomobile, like the flevobike), but they don't generally handle a passenger and quickly get expensive as well.

9. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius