1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$300 To upgrade audio system?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by LenchikUCLA, Nov 16, 2006.

1. LenchikUCLA

LenchikUCLA New Member

I am going to upgrade my sound system & speakers from stock, and I wanted to now if anyone has recommendations? I have a budget of about $300, and I am going for quality over volume output I think.

Also is the install hard? Should I buy the components from eBay or go to a audio shop?

Thanks!

2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LenchikUCLA @ Nov 16 2006, 12:14 AM) [snapback]350001[/snapback]</div>
    Do a search for docvj and audio mod.

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LenchikUCLA @ Nov 15 2006, 10:14 PM) [snapback]350001[/snapback]</div>
    $300 isn't much to work with. You'll have to go the Ebay route, and deal with non-authorized sellers and last year's or discontinued equipment. $300 can cover decent components but unless you want to butcher the install, you need to spend some money to do a decent job of connecting everything. Here's a starting point:

MTX Thunder 342 amp: $140
    Diamond Audio D661S speakers: $160
    Amp wiring kit: $20
    Line out converter: $30
    Wiring harness and speaker wire: $50

You can knock off about $120 by going with a refurbished MTX Thunder 282 amp and some Infinity component speakers (still a big improvement over stock). You could also save money by not buying a wiring harness and just hacking up the factory wiring. I hate cutting into the factory wiring so I'll spend money to avoid it. I like being able to just pop a "Tee" into the existing wiring between the car and the components and making all of my connections that way. Modifying a Bazooka subwoofer harness works really well for this, if one is available for your car. I've been told the harness that I used successfully in my 2005 Prius won't fit a 2006.

Install is one of the easiest I've ever done. With your budget, you have to do the work yourself. Just installing an amp and two front speakers will blow 1/3rd of your budget, and that's not even counting wiring harnesses, amp installation kit, etc. You'd barely have enough for a pair of speakers.

4. LenchikUCLA

LenchikUCLA New Member

Thanks for the help!

I think I will start with a new headunit and Infinity front speakers. Then I'll save up for more upgrades.

Are the Diamond Audio much better than the Infinity? Its like a $60 difference so maybe its worth the upgrade?