1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$3000+ fix? Customer Support Program ZJB. ABS actuator brake noise :( using ABS from 2012 in 2009

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cat molina, Oct 6, 2022.

1. cat molina

cat molina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2009 Prius. Runs great. Lately there's some loud noise by the front when i press the brakes. NO lights on but when i was backing up from a parking lot, for a second the brakes would not work at all *scary*. Mechanic # 1 said brakes and everything looked pretty good. Mechanic # 2 said to change to ABS actuator gave me a quote of over $3000 including an almost $2000 part. Long story short I can get a 2012 ABS actuator, for less than $500. My question is. How do I find out if the ABS actuator/accumulator from a 2012 prius would work on a 2009?
    Thank you Prius Friends!!
    The noise is like this vid

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    first, you need the trouble codes the car has thrown. i assume there are trouble lights on the dash?

i suspect the 2012 will not work, because the parts are different, but idk for sure.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They're different generations. The Gen 3 actuator won't work in your Gen 2.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You will not be using that $500 actuator pump whatever they call it for the Gen 3 on the Gen 2 you can order used Gen 2 accumulator pump assemblies the part you want standing in front of the car it's just slightly to the left of the inverter and right behind it as a round can on it it's black and silver that is your pump and accumulator so it's a pump and a tank The car in Europe that you can get these parts from the JDM importers for like 150 bucks I think it's called an auris or something like that The guys here will chime in in a second with the correct spelling and all that business. You don't want to spend $3,000 or $2,000 or even $1,500 for this part I took a used one off of a lightly driven '07 put it in my '09 and never look back it's been working now for months I would have scrapped the car before I paid anywhere near $2,000 to fix the brakes and I knew I wouldn't be doing that because there are cars and other parts of the world that they import the parts from to the United States and they're widely available now you just have to call around JDM imports it's a big company with warehouses Coast to Coast I believe