1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

30K Maintenance Cost

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by DSMM6, Feb 5, 2014.

1. DSMM6

DSMM6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Before I start calling around, I was wondering if anyone had already done this comparison to save me and others on this site some time. My '13 Plug In is ready for it's 30k service, so I looked on the Toyota Owners website and there's a bunch of different offers in my area:

Oil Change - $28.95
    30k - 12% off
    $159.99
    $25 off

And then there's the option of me buying the specialty oil filter tool from Amazon and then doing the oil change myself. I'm sure I can change an air filter and rotate my own tires. Not sure if my car has a cabin air filter. I do all the routine maintenance on everything else I've ever owned, just a little leary about all the computerization of these new cars and I've never had a hybrid before, so I was just wondering if I should keep taking this one to the dealer, or just do the general up keep myself like I've always done with my other vehicles. Thanks for reading.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can do it yourself. I think engine air filter is also due at 30k miles.

3. bilbo04096

bilbo04096 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To be recognized as legitimate warranty service work, what you do would have to be logged with Toyota somehow, I should think. Is there a recommended procedure to do this, does anyone know?

4. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! You must have a heck of commute. You should post over in the most PiP miles thread.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    1. There are no computer tools needed for these routine maintenance items. (you do need them to touch the brake hydraulic system)
    2. The dealer is an expensive but convenient option for periodic maintenance.
    3. Just keep a written log of your periodic maintenance and warranty issues will not be a problem.
    4. There is a cabin filter behind the glove box. There are two levels of filter cartrige refills:
      1. Waffle paper - about $20 at the dealer, but much cheaper on-line.
      2. Carbon impregnated cloth filter (called "Premium" by Toyota) - about $40 at the dealer but about $12 on-line (3rd party) and a much better filter.
    I do my own oil/oil filter changes as well as engine/cabin air filters. The only issue is the low clearance under a Prius requiring putting it on jack stands (front) to get under the car.

I do use the dealer for the initial 100k work and then every 50k miles for Coolant changes, plugs, PCV, Water Pumps, and repairs.

JeffD

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In my Gen2, I just filled in mileage and what I did in the Maintenance Log booklet that came with the car.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just drive up my Rhino ramp. Very good $40 investment. They are very light too.

For tire rotation, I'll have to jack it up but jack is not an issue on the ramp.

8. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To be sure I have no warranty questions, I buy the products (oil, filters, etc) for that specific service close to the time I do service (and log into service log) to verify the new oil/parts were installed when I said they were.

9. DSMM6

DSMM6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your comments are much appreciated. I do have a 150 round trip commute M-F and not home much on the weekends either. I've had the car since the end of July last year. Really hoping it will last me 300k, so I can pay it off. I do love the gas mileage. I went from 31 in my Focus to 57-61 in the summer and now I'm getting about 47 because it's cold and I have a lead foot. (out of the babying it stage) I already do the tire rotations at 5, 15, 25k, but I let the dealer do the warranty maintenance at 10, 20, because I figured it would be a free oil change. I'll just treat it like my other cars now. I just didn't know if there's anything with the HV/EV systems that scare anyone away from doing the service that penny pinchers like me already do on our own. Thanks again!

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I priced material cost for the oil and filter at $50. So I just decided to let the dealer do it for $75 including the inspections and tire rotation at 30k.

If you do the oil change yourself, you can log it in the Toyota Owners Link. The dealers log it there also so you have all your maintenance items in one place.

iPhone ?

11. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The cabin filter only needs to be cleaned (blown off or vacuumed) unless it has embedded gunk or stinks. Don't let the stealer claim there are other "recommended" service items like they did with me, including an expensive alignment. They're only "recommended" by the service manager!

12. Prius Five Guy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My dealer added in an additional 10,000 miles on top of Toyota Care (25k) - I'd encourage everyone in SoCal to demand this from their respective dealer. DCH Toyota offers its complimentary and writes it into a lease or purchase contract.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if they'll do an synthetic oil change for $29. that's about half the price of materials. i'd be waiting for them to open first thing in the tomorrow morning!;) $160. isn't bad for the rotation/air filter/cabin filter either. much lower than most of the prices i've seen. just be cautious that it's not just to get you in to try to sell you something expensive that they 'found' upon inspection of the car. all the best!(y)