1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

30K Ml Maintenance & dealer check-up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mrbigh, Oct 19, 2006.

1. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I'm in the averaged mileage of the 30K and looking to have my Prius service only for the records of God's sake and I was surprised with the asking price of two local dealers.
    Upon their very nice presented and colorful brochures for maintenance schedule by the Toyota dealers service Dept., I'm hesitating about their business procedures. One dealer quoted me $499.95 (special of the month deal) and another, 10 Miles away, a few days apart, ask for $399.99. Mostly of their job is checking this and that and the other, and 4 hours appointment. I know that everybody needs to survive but this sound a lot of bull cr.p .
    Are there anybody's in the same or similar situation around the USA?

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Horacio,
    What is actually listed under the 30k mile service? I don’t have the maintenance book with me. From what I remember, I had an oil change, FREE 25-point check (dealer said it covers everything listed in the maintenance book), and an alignment done. Total around $180. Actually, I requested the alignment since I never had one done before. Turns out everything is in spec. So without the alignment, it would be just the oil change and the free 25-point check up. Since I brought my own oil and filter, it's $20. I had the tires rotated at a local tire shop for $10. I changed my own air filter and cabin filter, both bought from eBay.

By the way, I went to Millennium Toyota. Hope this helps.

EDIT:

From Toyota's website, http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guide...05&int_id=6

Replace engine oil and oil filter 1
    Rotate tires
    Replace cabin air filter
    Replace engine air filter
    Inspect the following:
    Automatic transmission fluid
    Ball joints and dust covers
    Brake lines and hoses
    Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs 4
    Differential oil
    Drive shaft boots
    Engine and inverter coolant 3
    Exhaust pipes and mountings
    Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
    Fuel tank cap gasket
    Radiator, condenser and intercooler
    Steering gear box
    Steering linkage and boots

3. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wow,
    I guess I'm glad I've done all my own maintenance.
    From the Toyota.com website, at 30k they:

Replace engine oil and oil filter
    Rotate tires
    Replace cabin air filter
    Replace engine air filter

If you did the above yourself the filters and Mobile 1 oil would cost about $70 and the work would take about 1/2 hour. It would be quicker in the shop.

Inspect the following:
    Automatic transmission fluid
    Ball joints and dust covers
    Brake lines and hoses
    Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
    Differential oil
    Drive shaft boots
    Engine and inverter coolant
    Exhaust pipes and mountings
    Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
    Fuel tank cap gasket
    Radiator, condenser and intercooler
    Steering gear box
    Steering linkage and boots

All these inspections can be done pretty easily on a lift, (I sure wish I had one) especially since they have the wheels off anyway to rotate the tires. The oil level checks take about 10 minutes at most. I'd guess a really conscientious tech could take 45 minutes or so on the inspections. It's hard to imagine taking more than 1.5 hours on the entire service. $70 parts and $430 for labor? Ouch. Any Prius Techs care to comment?

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Oct 20 2006, 12:24 AM) [snapback]335405[/snapback]</div>
    Well, this is really my grieve about this topic.
    I did want to know the reaction of other Prius owners through the USA and for them to get prepared at time of preventive maintenance shock down.

If anybody wants to contribute making a list of Toyota Authorized servicers and their prices for scheduled maintenance, indicating Co name, town and state and prices representing their services will help the need of our Prii community, it does only take a phone call.
    Maybe these companies will start competing with their prices when realize we are not stupid and paid for overinflated fees or to avoid the expensives ones, period.

Stevens Toyota, Huntington NY, 631-423-6226: 30K ml maintenance$499.95
    Millennium Toyota, Hempstead NY, 800-752-5485: 30K ml maintenance$399.95

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Horacio,
    I think the important thing here is not to ask for 30k mile service. Show them the maintenance book and ask how much they charge for the things that's need for the Prius. That should cut the price down a lot. Also, do the ones that are DIY-able. Like the air filter and cabin filter, takes less than 5 min to change both. Rotate your tires at a local tire shop. They are usually cheaper than the dealers. The one I go to is in Brooklyn. 4th Ave and 63rd St. $10 to rotate. I think dealer wants to charge something close to $30 for the same job.

6. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Scheduled maintenance is a marketing ploy/money machine for dealer service departments. My dealer is now pushing the "free oil changes every 3750 miles" scam. You get the free changes only if you have your scheduled service inspections done there (like $150 for the 15k service, which is really nothing other than another oil change, and a tire rotation). Gee, whatta deal!